Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First night without the little frog.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:32 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First night without the little frog.

Tonight is my first night without that little frog in the garage.

I got up around 5 this morning for a quick drive out to the coast before work. Probably like many of you on here, I've got a few loops near my home that I consider a kind of therapy session. Me, the car, my music, or often just the music from the flat six behind me.

30 or 40 minutes with a few 5 or 6k bursts along the way, some redwoods, some coastal and mountain twisties, PASM in sport, top down, windows down and no cars ahead of me - it's a beautiful thing that can keep a smile on my face for most of the day.

This morning's session was off to an amazing start. It was about 55˚ and the sun was just a hint on the horizon. Some mornings the fog in the mountains here looks just like a painting, and this was one of the more exceptional mornings.

Note: The "nice" photos are 'file' photos from my archive - I didn't bring my camera with me this morning, for the first time ever - but the story needs pix, and these were all taken on my "therapy loop."

By the time I got over the first leg of Mount Tamalpais, and was charging down the back side of the mountain toward Muir Beach, I could see the sun skimming across the ocean, and the fog gathering in fluffy piles around the redwoods in the canyon.

There wasn't a single car ahead of me for miles and miles. The pavement was relatively dry, smooth as concrete, and also relatively clear excepting for the early birds fluttering back and forth across various stretches as I wound my way down along the coast. It was awesome, and I knew that no matter how ridiculous the workday was about to become, these next 20 or 30 minutes were going to be with me all day.

One fairly constant hazard along some of the coastal roads out here are fragments of broken rock that fall down from the cliffs into the roadway, and generally the DOT guys get out there with a little plow truck every morning and shove the rocks to the sides of the road. (That's called foreshadowing)

Well anyway, beautiful lifting clouds, the stereo wasn't letting me down, and with the top down, the hum of the 3.8 behind me was a veritable symphony of pleasure. On the wind was the scent of cypress, eucalyptus, and cool morning coastal air - it was intoxicating, and the golden sunrise was absolutely picture perfect lighting up the entire coast ahead of me.

Sweeping through the turns with the entire highway to myself was just like my childhood dreams of driving a Porsche along the coast of California when I was a kid.

Charging down the hill and around one of the last long sweepers as I approached the panoramic highway turn off, I heard a loud PAAAPSSSSSHHH PSSSHHHH PSSSHHHH PSSHHHH PSSSHHHH! and instantly knew the ride was over.

hahaha! I had to laugh out loud in the moment, and left off the throttle while turning down the stereo just to confirm what I knew was true. - there was no part of this particular song on the stereo that goes "Psshhhh pssshh pssshhh" ...

I pulled off the road and into one of the turn outs at the base of the mountain and thanked the heavens that I had cell service out there.

I had caught one of those rocks I mentioned earlier, with the driver's rear as I was coming out of that sweeper, and it took a little chunk out my rim as as well as put a good puncture in the sidewall of the tire.

About 40 minutes later, we were rolling the little frog off the flatbed and trying to find a Michelin Pilot Super Sport without much luck.

Eventually I found what appeared to be the only one available in the United States today - it was back east in Delaware, and it should be here tomorrow morning fedex or UPS overnight - I forget which.

I wasn't too excited about having to buy another one of these tires, (I just bought the full set at the end of September) but I have to admit, they're awesome tires, and I love them, so it wasn't too painful.

So, this is my first night without that little frog in the garage since I bought her, and as tired as I am, I find myself watching youtube videos of 997's, and trawling the forums for a little 911 fix. I've always walked out to the garage for one last peek before bed, and I hate that she's not out there tonight.

Any of you all get that way when your baby ain't in your garage?

Thanks for reading.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:51 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Your lucky to have that drive in your back yard. Great pics and good luck
Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

That is some amazing scenery you have there. Sorry about the tires. Surprised you found PSS in stock anywhere!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:20 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Nice story….nice car….always liked the grey on grey of the soft top!

Tom
Old 01-09-2014, 08:25 AM
patpetillo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the pics and the story.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Lovely pics and nice writing!
Too bad it finished with a flat. Look on the bright side,you could've ended in an area without cell service,then what...
You are lucky to have those roads around you,my cars have been sitting in the garage with the crappy weather we're getting in the Northeast.

Don't worry,she'll be back home in no time!

More pics!

Enjoy!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:53 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Ugh to the flat...I hope that the wheel ding can be repaired, Dan!

Did you try Dependable Brake & Tire in San Rafael to source the PSS? They have been setting-up my SC forever and installing tires for my tribe's other vehicles. I typically purchase from Tire Rack and have them shipped directly to Dependable.

When I purchased the C4S last Fall, I couldn't locate a rear set anywhere in the US but Dependable got a pair from their supplier, the cost was marginally more than Tire Rack, and I shipped them to VA for the install. I'm now thinking of stashing a pair of rears just in case...

Thanks for sharing the pics (I love the 1st one!), a fine write-up and your baby will be back in it's proper bed soon...

P.S. I got your PM: I will respond soon and we will connect when possible...hang in there with the deadlines!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:14 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Sorry about the tire BUT those pictures...OMG! I need to get out there ASAP!
Thanks for sharing your little secret spot with us. Im stuck with -9 temps today and that is the warmest its been all week.

Thanks for posting
Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

It's great that your car gives you so much enjoyment, everyone should have something like that in their lives. But .... with just about every place in the U.S. freezing their tails off I'd be a little circumspect about this type of photo essay. (I wonder if the less charitable readers are thinking that you got what you deserved by flatting?) So, to be a doggy-downer (just to balance things out for those less charitable types I mentioned) to your puppy-upper, we may have nice weather and good/scenic roads but we are also on the brink of a drought (which is really bad thing in CA) and the earth does shake beneath us on a regular basis, many of us pay up to and above a 10% state income tax on top of a ~9% sales tax, state services are barely adequate, and the thing that annoys me the most is that I pay more for fruit and vegetables grown 30 miles from where I live than those of you who live thousands of miles from where it is grown . . . and the list goes on in "The Golden State". So, to those of you stuck in the cold, every place has it's ups and downs and California, while nice, is NOT the absolute land of milk and honey (or wine and produce as the case may be). Of course, on the other hand, maybe the pictures and descriptions cheer people up just a little.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:47 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Those pictures are amazing!! Sorry to hear about the tire though. Great looking car
Old 01-09-2014, 12:00 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
It's great that your car gives you so much enjoyment, everyone should have something like that in their lives. But .... with just about every place in the U.S. freezing their tails off I'd be a little circumspect about this type of photo essay. (I wonder if the less charitable readers are thinking that you got what you deserved by flatting?) So, to be a doggy-downer (just to balance things out for those less charitable types I mentioned) to your puppy-upper, we may have nice weather and good/scenic roads but we are also on the brink of a drought (which is really bad thing in CA) and the earth does shake beneath us on a regular basis, many of us pay up to and above a 10% state income tax on top of a ~9% sales tax, state services are barely adequate, and the thing that annoys me the most is that I pay more for fruit and vegetables grown 30 miles from where I live than those of you who live thousands of miles from where it is grown . . . and the list goes on in "The Golden State". So, to those of you stuck in the cold, every place has it's ups and downs and California, while nice, is NOT the absolute land of milk and honey (or wine and produce as the case may be). Of course, on the other hand, maybe the pictures and descriptions cheer people up just a little.
I never said that I wanted to live there..... but its a nice place to visit.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fskof- lol! Hahaha that's great!

You should come out for sure. Yes a cucumber, 2 apples, and a leaf of kale will set you back about $20, but the days are beautiful, we have Laguna Seca, Sonoma Raceway (Sears Point), and Thunderhill all very close by, and from what I've seen (up here) at least, almost every day is like some sort of Porsche Homecoming Parade!

David- I had a bad experience over at Dependable once, so on everyone's recommendation, I gave them another chance. The guy was still a dick. Not believing lightning could strike the same place thrice, I went yet again. Different guy, but also a dick. I asked if it was just a bad day, or maybe he didn't like my shirt? He says "Hey, we're just busy." Subtext was "we don't need your business" so I left, disappointed but hey, I gave them 3 fair shakes.

Now I buy from Diamond Tire, they're great guys, great attitude, and similarly pricey, but I leave feeling like they appreciate me. Car's at Toscalito today (frown) only because it's walking distance from work & home- but I did buy the PSS from tire rack, and like you I will probably buy a couple of those spares I see on CL from time to time.

Yes, I do feel lucky to live where it is so beautiful and the scenery and roads are like picture books & car ads. I grew up in New Hampshire & also lived about 8 years in NYC & Brooklyn, so I do truly appreciate how special it is, with or without the drought & taxes!

Good times.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
I never said that I wanted to live there..... but its a nice place to visit.
I do live here and totally agree with you! A hut on the beach in Kona would be a different story though (or maybe a "modest house" in Hualalai)!
Old 01-09-2014, 03:19 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Look no further than the state capital my friend!

Tom
Old 01-09-2014, 06:45 PM
0-Steve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in the land of flat straight roads, sun and rain. We get away with no snow, but certainly don't have this. Those pics cheered me up on an otherwise rainy dreary Florida day.

Quick Reply: First night without the little frog.