Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual vs PDK for 997 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:39 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 260 Posts

I had an Audi with DSG and PDK is way superior. Go for the PDK!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:46 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Test drive both, but PDK with the sport wheel that the 991 and 981 series offer (paddles instead of the shift buttons) is such a better experience with it imo. And you likely won't drive one with that setup.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Ryan M Hartman
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 29 Posts

^^^+1

I have a 997.2 C4S with PDK and a sport wheel. You're best off test driving both and MT and PDK. I found that the PDK with the standard wheel, while still fun, is a bit clumsy. The PDK with the sport wheel is an absolute blast. So if you can find one with a sport wheel, you won't be disappointed. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Lmmike
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the PDK with the paddles in my C4S and it is bad to the bone. I have the 6SPD in my S4. I daily drive the S4, to the tune of over 30k miles a year. Since you have a DSG in your S4 you have to get a 6 SPD in the C4S. If you like, in the least bit, driving a stick you will miss it if you have two auto transmissions. DSG, PDK, they are all autos...

Someone on this forum once said it best. PDK is quicker than 6 SPD shifting. Cooking a pizza in the microwave is quicker than the oven, does that make it better?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Canyonrs4
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I was in the same boat and ended up with the PDK and sport chrono (a must have combo IMHO). I am (was) a hard core third pedal guy and thought that anything other than a MT was inferior and isolated, not an involved driving experience.

I drove the PDK on a test drive, launch control, and then sport plus, running through the canyons and it was joy, smooth and fast, so thought I would give it a try.

At my first DE with the car my instructor was a cup car and GT3RS owner and even he had a grin as the car rev matched on down shifts and I could work on being smooth around the track, he took a turn at the wheel and was sold...

A manual gives you a connection to the car, no doubt, if you can check the ego at the door and just drive for the fun, do the PDK, with a good exhaust you will simply smile... all day long.

Just me but I am sold, I drove a new 2014 turbo S and it is a faster and smoother PDK these things just keep getting better.

It is nice to have great options.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

MT always and forever!

Tom
Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Pors968
I have not driven a PDK car.. Looking at pics and reading, it seems like PDK is efficient/fast shifting tiptronic transmission. Another words automatic transmission. I don't know if I'm missing anything.

I like MT and I'm going to test drive PDK to feel it.
You're missing a lot of things if you think the PDK is nothing but a tip on steroids. It's not an automatic transmission. It's a manual transmission with two electronic clutches and the option of driving it in auto mode. It's the new standard. Things progress. I'm sure there were similar discussions when power steering was introduced. "Lost connectivity", "less involvement", "no real man would get near a car with power steering". Please...
Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

This is so easy:

Do you get a warm feeling of satisfaction when you rev match or nail a perfect heal toe...? Then get a manual!

If this above sounds strange get a PDK!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:44 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
I just came back from Barber a couple weeks ago, Porsche 2-day driving school, followed by a 2-day DE with Alabama region.
Congrats on a great week which is bucket list for most (me included)

Originally Posted by jbossolo
If you'd ask me prior to that experience, I'd tell you manual, hands down. I'm a firm believer in PDK right now. If you're ever gonna track yout car, it's a no brainer. The PDK is faster than any human could ever be, and more accurate. Simply night and day, not even close. It's THAT good.
Agreed that PDK is faster on the track but I'll never give up my 6sp MT to pick up a sec or two. Not worth it IMO. YMMV.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:29 AM
socalgt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 6mt 996 and a PDK 997. if this is going to be your weekend toy, I would go for the manual.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:31 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Test drive both... I did that before making my decision 3 yrs ago. The PDK awesome but after driving the MT car I knew which car spoke to me. There's just nothing like rowing your own especially in a Carrera. GL and enjoy.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 AM
0-Steve
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had both and basically would rather have both. I chose a PDK this time around and honestly miss shifting, being in the gear i choose and the sound of the elongated gap between shifts on a daily basis. I know you can manually shift but in my opinion it "feels" slower and much more automated and unnatural.

On the other hand, when I had the 6sp, I would dream of having the ability to not have to shift between lights and stop signs every 100ft. I would usually not chose that car if there was a possibility of hitting rush hour. In the end, it depends on where you live. With the traffic that surrounds me on a daily basis, I find that I use the car more than just on weekends with PDK albeit the car feels less exciting.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:43 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Steve
I've had both and basically would rather have both. I chose a PDK this time around and honestly miss shifting, being in the gear i choose and the sound of the elongated gap between shifts on a daily basis. I know you can manually shift but in my opinion it "feels" slower and much more automated and unnatural.

On the other hand, when I had the 6sp, I would dream of having the ability to not have to shift between lights and stop signs every 100ft. I would usually not chose that car if there was a possibility of hitting rush hour. In the end, it depends on where you live. With the traffic that surrounds me on a daily basis, I find that I use the car more than just on weekends with PDK albeit the car feels less exciting.
+1... if MT had a +A mode. That would be perfect. I know... the salesmen told me that that PDK was MT+A but I don't think he got what I was looking for... well said above.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lmmike
Someone on this forum once said it best. PDK is quicker than 6 SPD shifting. Cooking a pizza in the microwave is quicker than the oven, does that make it better?
I dont like microwave pizza!

Good analogy... even though the PDK is way better than microwave pizza.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't know what to say.

Well, if I had a pdk, I'd simply lose my drivers license. The manual slows me down and keeps me in check.

Quick Reply: Manual vs PDK for 997 C4S