Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello! and a few NOOB Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014 | 10:40 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Default Hello! and a few NOOB Questions

Hello all, I'm glad to join your excellent forum.

I'm getting to know my new-to-me '06 997 S Tip. If anyone can help... I have some noob questions that don't deserve a separate thread...

1) Starting and driving the car with a cold engine:
The car idles rough on cold start, and there's lots of strange noises from the engine - solenoids going off, hydraulic noises, etc. No misfires, just random stuff. This is Florida, cold is 55F. Also, the oil pressure is 5kpa while driving cold, then goes down. Once warmed up just a tad, all of this settles down. Is this stuff normal?

2) Computer says I have issues with left and right front side lights:
But they work fine.. except one time, 4th day of ownership... the right side stayed on with the car off (computer told me so, and was true). I started and stopped the engine and the anomaly went away? Can I just reset the nagging indicator somehow, or do you think I have a real issue (room controller or something).

3) What's that thing that pops out below the numeric pad?:
Next to the PCM screen on left. Kind of like a tiny tray, hanger, seems fragile. I RTFM and it's not in there, even the PCM manual.

4) At parking lot speeds, very slow <5mph, the automatic may shift down to first, which is fine, but it's appreciably jerky when doing so. Otherwise, the auto shifting is smooth, even starting from 1st (tips typically start off in 2nd).

Thanks and happy new year!
Old 01-01-2014 | 11:12 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

1) mine does the same

3) It's a SIM card tray for the car phone

Post some pics & welcome.
Old 01-01-2014 | 11:12 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Welcome to Rennlist, Chrono!

I can give you information on #s 1 and 3.

1) Normal. The car keeps the oil pressure up until the oil temp is up.
3) If your car had the cell phone option, that would be where you put your sim card, like a CD tray, into the system.

Have fun!
Old 01-01-2014 | 11:16 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Item #4) That 2nd to 1st shift with tip tranny is often rather harsh, compared to the other shifts. Normal as far as I am aware.

Welcome to RL. Lots of great people and info here!
Old 01-01-2014 | 11:21 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies!!

Old 01-01-2014 | 11:36 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

A beauty ya got there! What shade of blue is that? (last I checked, there were 6,374 shades of blue that Porsche put out).

Also, I see you changed out the side markers for clear. Good job! In general, people get a permanent ban from RL if they keep the ambers.
Old 01-02-2014 | 02:07 AM
rolex11
Pro

Chrono,

You bought that at Exotic Motors in Hallendale FL.

A month ago I stopped in and offered cash at the asking price. Owner said it was sold. Wouldn't even take my info. in case the deal fell thru. He was certain of the sale.

New years eve day I saw the cars.com listing said sale pending. I called repeatedly and couldn't get thru figured they were closed. Almost drove there, I live close in Aventura.

Got up early new years day, checked the cars.com ad and it said it was sold.
Old 01-02-2014 | 06:26 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Very cool.......midnight Blue?

Tom
Old 01-02-2014 | 10:44 AM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Cuda911... it's Basalt Blue I think, some word like that. Odd that the side light covers were changed and those are the lights that the computer says are bad. ??

rolex11: Yes indeed, Exotic Motors. He didn't return my calls the day I wanted to look at it, but I drove the 200 miles anyway. Luckily he still had it (obviously), but he could have cared less if I bought it or not. He was very low key and nice to me and my wife.
Car seems nice, it has 3 months of CPO left, but I don't think I can use it because I bought it from a dealer. Dunno really.
Old 01-02-2014 | 11:22 AM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Beautiful car.
I have the same computer message for left side only. Side marker is fine. I guess it's the relay.
Old 01-02-2014 | 11:42 AM
Iceter
Drifting

I have gotten a warning light and chime for the marker lights on two occasions (my car is an '09) about four months apart. On both occasions, I had pulled into the same parking spot at the same location. I had my turn signal on to pull into a client's parking lot and turned directly into the first parking spot, which meant that I never straightened the wheel and my turn signal didn't turn off.

When I got out of the car, even with the car off and the key out of the ignition, the warning light and chime stayed on and didn't go away. The only thing that got it to stop was a re-start after making sure the turn signal stalk was in the "off" position.

Not sure if that's what happened to you but I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.
Old 01-02-2014 | 01:07 PM
rolex11
Pro

Sounds like a lemon, I'll buy it from you for $1 over what you paid.
Old 01-02-2014 | 03:19 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Iceter: Exactly what happened to me -after turning left into my driveway. But I also have the computer nag all the time - but not the chime.

rolex: It's a lemon alright. I punched it on the exit ramp today and it made lemonade in my pants.
Old 01-02-2014 | 03:44 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chrono
Iceter: Exactly what happened to me -after turning left into my driveway. But I also have the computer nag all the time - but not the chime.

rolex: It's a lemon alright. I punched it on the exit ramp today and it made lemonade in my pants.
Funny.

Congrats on the new purchase!

I wasnt aware of basalt blue, looks like lapis blue?
Old 01-02-2014 | 04:33 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chrono
LOL! Welcome. I got the side light alarm occasionally as well after having some work done. Had it checked and was told not to worry about it. It hasn't happened since.

Have fun!

Quick Reply: Hello! and a few NOOB Questions