Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware of Chicago Motor Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:04 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Hi all; I purchased my 2007 911 4S Cab from Chicago motorcars and I can say my experience was good. Are all sales people and managers 110% honest all the time?? Probably not as they need to sell a car at profit. Are there bad cases - absolutely as buyers are not perfect either.
I am sure there are several Porsche owners that have bought their cars from a Porsche dealer at full price from the a-la-carte menu rather than the Option packages and therefore providing the Porsche dealer with more profit or bought a used car with some history not shared.

My purchase from CMC was not perfect. I did not bid through ebay but looked at their website after finding the car on Autotrader. Were the photos glossy, absolutely - but I could see some imperfections in the paint. I requested additional non touched up photos and could identify marks under front bumper and one dimple on the rear bumper. This looked like normal wear and tear. I could also live with these marks as the car had the Options I wanted and the right price. I took the car for a PPI and report came back good. We negotiated a price delivered in Houston. Carfax was clean.
There were 3 items I did not discover until car was delivered - hood had been re-painted, scratches on the driver side leather door panel (must be from giant superbowl or wedding ring), and it only came with one key. The PPI I requested was for a mechanical check including DME for Type 1-5 revs but I did not ask for paint thickness measurements. Should the shop have told me, absolutely, as well as the door panel scratches and sent me pictures rather than the "car has minor scratches ...." noted in the body of the report. I had a local shop price a re-paint of hood and bumper and new door panel at cost of about $2000. I have not performed these repairs yet but I will this spring. The car has been running perfect since I bought it 2.5 years ago and 15k miles including track days. The purchase process itself was great; CMC delivered and picked up the car for PPI, we negotiated and agreed on price, paperwork was sent as promised, funds transferred, and car delivered. I will give CMC a grade A for the purchase process and B+ on the car. Some may dispute my B+ rating with the flaws listed but for the price - it was a reasonable deal to me and I am enjoying the car everyday.
As with all major expensive purchases, due diligence must be exercised.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:00 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why was the hood repainted? Was it in an accident, and if so, how extensive was the damage to the front end? This should have been disclosed if you asked the question - to your knowledge has this car ever been in an accident? Also, not showing the pictures of the damage on the interior driver door is not exactly forthcoming or honest dealings.

I would have returned the car. Judging from the experience you outlined, I would give them a failing grade for their errors and omissions.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Not sure why the hood was repainted, could have been anything, ex backed into by a pick up while grocery shopping or small rear end. I can confirm that there has been no structural damage, none of the attaching elements have been repaired nor painted, bumper attachment are original and was never removed from frame, and that the fenders have not been painted. Headlights are still OEM and look identical in age.
There were only scratches on interior panel, not damage.
For $2000 - cost of returning car, the effort to get my money back, getting a refund on the return shipping, the hours of paperwork, etc etc. It was not worth my time. I will spend that time being successful at work and get tenfolds back.
My lessons; I will first try to find the car locally, if not, I will always see the car in person before sending deposit or buy it.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
Not sure why the hood was repainted, could have been anything, ex backed into by a pick up while grocery shopping or small rear end. I can confirm that there has been no structural damage, none of the attaching elements have been repaired nor painted, bumper attachment are original and was never removed from frame, and that the fenders have not been painted. Headlights are still OEM and look identical in age.
There were only scratches on interior panel, not damage.
For $2000 - cost of returning car, the effort to get my money back, getting a refund on the return shipping, the hours of paperwork, etc etc. It was not worth my time. I will spend that time being successful at work and get tenfolds back.
My lessons; I will first try to find the car locally, if not, I will always see the car in person before sending deposit or buy it.
I really think it comes down to intended purpose and price paid. If I paid top dollar for what is advertised as a top dollar commanding car and received a car with paintwork and interior damage I would not be happy. However if I were buying a DD and didn't expect perfection I would be more lenient with wear/tear and would also expect to pay less.

It sounds like CMC advertises perfection and creates a gap between what they and the buyer consider perfection.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:31 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Why would anyone ever buy anything from someone they know is at all crooked? Never makes any sense to me.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:48 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by targaC4S
You are welcome and I agree 100 percent. And to any who think its strange to critisize a company I havent done business with think about this...... you probably havent done business with Beverly Hills Porsche but would you after reading Lozzys story?
I appreciate the heads up. Plenty of unbiased documentation there to turn on red lights. With that kind of paper trail I don't see the relevance of you having done business with them or not. But it seems like there's always someone who'll defend a business or try to find mitigating circumstances no matter how egregious the behavior.

I think the idea is that all the burden always falls on the consumer to do their DD and none falls on the business to deal honestly and fairly. You've seen it in this tread already and you saw it several times in Lozzy's thread where all the blame was shifted to him and none was placed on Beverly Hills Porsche despite gross misrepresentation of a CPO car.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I really think it comes down to intended purpose and price paid. If I paid top dollar for what is advertised as a top dollar commanding car and received a car with paintwork and interior damage I would not be happy. However if I were buying a DD and didn't expect perfection I would be more lenient with wear/tear and would also expect to pay less.

It sounds like CMC advertises perfection and creates a gap between what they and the buyer consider perfection.
Well said. I agree they inflate their ads, but price was below others and market and I did not expect it to be collector car. It is a regular driver for me and I have driven it on the track. Now I take my 05 GT3 to the track. That car can actually be a collector items as only 950 were built in 05. My 07 Cab is just an nice used car, nothing more or nothing less.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:25 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Photos
Attached Images   

Last edited by tgavem; 01-03-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:31 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
Hi all; I purchased my 2007 911 4S Cab from Chicago motorcars and I can say my experience was good. Are all sales people and managers 110% honest all the time?? Probably not as they need to sell a car at profit. Are there bad cases - absolutely as buyers are not perfect either.
I am sure there are several Porsche owners that have bought their cars from a Porsche dealer at full price from the a-la-carte menu rather than the Option packages and therefore providing the Porsche dealer with more profit or bought a used car with some history not shared.

My purchase from CMC was not perfect. I did not bid through ebay but looked at their website after finding the car on Autotrader. Were the photos glossy, absolutely - but I could see some imperfections in the paint. I requested additional non touched up photos and could identify marks under front bumper and one dimple on the rear bumper. This looked like normal wear and tear. I could also live with these marks as the car had the Options I wanted and the right price. I took the car for a PPI and report came back good. We negotiated a price delivered in Houston. Carfax was clean.
There were 3 items I did not discover until car was delivered - hood had been re-painted, scratches on the driver side leather door panel (must be from giant superbowl or wedding ring), and it only came with one key. The PPI I requested was for a mechanical check including DME for Type 1-5 revs but I did not ask for paint thickness measurements. Should the shop have told me, absolutely, as well as the door panel scratches and sent me pictures rather than the "car has minor scratches ...." noted in the body of the report. I had a local shop price a re-paint of hood and bumper and new door panel at cost of about $2000. I have not performed these repairs yet but I will this spring. The car has been running perfect since I bought it 2.5 years ago and 15k miles including track days. The purchase process itself was great; CMC delivered and picked up the car for PPI, we negotiated and agreed on price, paperwork was sent as promised, funds transferred, and car delivered. I will give CMC a grade A for the purchase process and B+ on the car. Some may dispute my B+ rating with the flaws listed but for the price - it was a reasonable deal to me and I am enjoying the car everyday.
As with all major expensive purchases, due diligence must be exercised.
Wow you're a nice guy!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:49 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

tgavem- if that was a good experience I would hate to see what you would think to be a bad one from a used car dealer... would the car have to catch on fire once deliverd?

For a second I got this confused with Chicago Motors in downtown Chicago. Similar kind of setup, not collector cars but decent prices although the descriptions are generally embellished.. When I was shopping for an uber sedan (M5 an RS4's) they had a few that we advertised as clean/ non smoker. Everyone of the cars I looked at smelled like a cigar bar inside, and not good cigars either.....
Old 01-03-2014, 01:29 AM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

These guys need to be lock up in prison.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:09 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Wow you're a nice guy!
REALLY nice
Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Perk10
first, the narrator of that video may be one of the most annoying people on the earth.

2nd, it was a used car that likely had door dings, scratches and some curb rash. $3,000 in body damage on a mercedes is not out of this world. Sure its not the pristine condition that its advertised in, but frankly, that appears to be relatively minor in the scope of used car dealer practices.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:04 AM
targaC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

first, the narrator of that video may be one of the most annoying people on the earth.

2nd, it was a used car that likely had door dings, scratches and some curb rash. $3,000 in body damage on a mercedes is not out of this world. Sure its not the pristine condition that its advertised in, but frankly, that appears to be relatively minor in the scope of used car dealer practices.
Go on the website and watch the Lamborghini video. There is nothing minor about a totaled car being sold as new for 450k.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

eh, I'll take your word for it.

I would not buy a used car from any dealer without seeing it first.
The following users liked this post:
The Mick (02-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Beware of Chicago Motor Cars