Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT PLS. Engine broke. Car stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:21 PM
GEO356
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy $***t, what a mess, what happened? Did you back over a cement tire stop with one of the rebar anchors sticking up?
Old 12-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Carrera997re
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a blood bath i would have fainted if that was me. I chipped mine on a curb but now i got a skid plate from suncoast. Good luck man hope everything works out
Old 12-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

Ouch! That hurt me.. Keep us posted and good luck.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:22 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

What about this nail? Holy crap! Tell us exactly what and how you hit this monster.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:45 AM
djskimo
Instructor

typing from mobile so keeping it short.

The nail was part of a speed bump placed at the worst possible location. At the bottom of the ramp. There is absolutely no way not to bottom out. The nail hit the pan directly metal to metal breaking the pan. I know it was the nail and not the plastic of the hump because

1) the oil trail starts exactly above
2) the plastic part would not do that

i was barely inching forward when this happened.
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2013, 12:47 AM
djskimo
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
When you discuss this with your insurance company, keep a few things in mind:

1) if the nail was stationary, it will be considered collision.

2) if the nail was moving, and you struck it, this will be considered comprehensive.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Super thanks for the advice. Any more info on this matter?

The nail could be considered moving or stationary depending on your point of reference.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Carrera997re
Instructor

Weirdd that nail doesnt even look raised that much
Old 12-23-2013, 12:55 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera997re
He probably broke off the nail.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:56 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

Really odd, it looks flush. Regardless, if that did due it - get them to pay or lawsuit.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:00 AM
Carrera997re
Instructor

Originally Posted by Robocop305
Originally Posted by Carrera997re
He probably broke off the nail.
It kinda does look like the top of the nail got chopped off but then again what plastic speed bump would have raised nails even for tires to go over them.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:07 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

It's obvious from the picture that several cars have scraped it before. That could help in establishing design flaws if you go after whomever to pay for repairs.
I would get some more detailed pictures of that and any similar ones at the location.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:26 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

WOW. Hope you got the engine off soon enough so no damage. This sort of thing has happened to a friend of mine, TWICE. Not p-cars.

First time - VW GTI, road round up, being resurfaced, driving on ground up pavement, oil pan hit a water or gas valve cover sticking out. City said: Not our problem. Car shutoff and no damage other than oil pan needed.

Second time - Audi A4 coming back from mountains, snowy, bad weather, rock in road hidden by snow, takes out oil pan, didn't realize it, oil pressure drops, check engine goes on, nowhere to pull over for 1/2mile, very bad road conditions and no shoulder/2 lane road. Rocks and dirt up in oil pan, engine destroyed, oil galleries filled with dirt. Insurance totaled car, paid out strongly. Sad story: Car was sold at auction, someone "made it work" and sold with no disclosure of engine damage (with salvage title of course). The new owner finds a receipt in the car from my friends shop, calls them, shop knows exactly what's wrong as they did the diag, gave the guy a little history. Unknown what happened.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:59 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
WOW. Hope you got the engine off soon enough so no damage. This sort of thing has happened to a friend of mine, TWICE. Not p-cars.
+1 Hopefully you turned the engine off before it had time to run with low oil level/pressure.

If only the oil sump plate is damaged then the fix should be a simple removal and replacement of the sump plate, followed by a fresh oil fill. If this is the case there may be no need to get your insurance involved and risk the potential of higher premiums going forward.

It's hard to tell from your picture but it does not appear that the damage goes beyond the sump plate. Check to make sure that the current sump plate(the damaged plate) is properly aligned with the engine block. If so, then the damage is most likely limited to the sump plate. Good luck with the fix.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:07 AM
djskimo
Instructor

The images below should help explain more. There is a ramp going down and is pretty steep, although the images don't show that angle well. The bump is placed at the bottom of the ramp. So if you have a low car (ex: the 997.2 GTS that comes 20mm lowered from factory), when the back wheels touch the floor coming down from the ramp, the bump (which is ON the ramp) will be at a much higher elevation than the actual height of the bump relative to the wheels. So you hit.

A guy in a 991 and another in a quattroporte where both complaining about this same bump. I also heard this happened to THREE other people before. Same location, same thing, OIL all over the place.

Anybody have any idea what the price of an oil sump/pan is? Or where to look this up? Car getting towed to dealer in the AM but would like to be armed with knowledge and some pricing options.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:18 AM
djskimo
Instructor

Thanks for all the info guys. The issue I am having now is putting the car in Neutral and still being able to get the key out. Doesn't allow me to pull the key out if it's not in Park. Car needs to be towed for over an hour and I am afraid of just leaving a key in the ignition just to keep it Neutral.

My main fear is someone accidentally trying to pull the key out and STARTS the car.

Quick Reply: URGENT PLS. Engine broke. Car stuck.