Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe wheel hop - 2012 4 GTS. Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:35 PM
djskimo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Severe wheel hop - 2012 4 GTS. Advice needed.

Hello,

Was starting to fall in love with just acquired 4 GTS. However, recently I started experiencing lots of wheel hop. This started as the weather got colder - although I am not sure this is correlated.

I did tons of search on wheel hop, and there are lots of theories, but mostly for older models. I am not sure if this is something that should be taken in for warranty or is this a "porsche thing". Car has less than 10k miles on it.

The wheel hops seems to happen on all 4 wheels during enthusiastic acceleration . The car rattles violently and I feel like I am going to break something if I don't step off the gas. I thought at first is was the traction management then realized this can't be normal. I never had this problem on a similarly powered RWD M3.

Any advice on what causes this? Should I take it to dealer?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2013, 01:44 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

How old are tires? DOT code date?? Flat spotted??? Tire pressures????
Old 12-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

You mention "enthusiastic acceleration." Does that mean when the car is launched from a stop?

PDK or MT?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:24 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Some thoughts, although it could be a very frustrating trial and error process ... but it is not a Porsche thing per se, sounds more like a tire or wheel thing, or possibly a drive shaft-axle-suspension thing (ie bent shaft, bad strut, broken spring).

First thing to do is a detailed inspection of each tire and wheel, including struts and springs. Look for anything that appears odd- bulging tires, missing wheel weights, abnormal tread wear pattern, uneven ride height from side to side, etc. Check cold tire pressure too (use a guage not just TPMS) and bring up to recommended pressure if needed. If you see anything suspicious take it to a good tire shop and have them validate (unless it is strut or springs which might be a warranty item with Porsche). If you see nothing then drive it around at moderate speeds and monitor tire pressure so you can ensure you have tires warmed up to reasonable temp and then try your spirited acceleration again. If you have the same issue, take it to your tire shop and ask them to check the balance and roundness of the wheels (maybe a road force evaluation would be in order). If it all checks out, then perhaps you will need to take it to a Porsche service person and have them check out drive and suspension components and anything else that could cause the issue. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Is the wheel hop when turning corner or straight line?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:29 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it will lessen when the weather and tires get hot
Old 12-12-2013, 03:27 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Sounds like you are dumping the clutch in your 400 hp 4 wheel drive car.
Enthusiastic Acceleration? Stop it, this symptom should lessen.
TV/youtube four wheel burn outs are fun for others.
If not , the next symptom will be removal of a large amount of cash from your Wallet, for a new clutch.
And the salty tears, will stain your shirt.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:21 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

You said it started when the weather got colder. It is probably caused by the summer tread compound on tires getting hard in the cold temps.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:23 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by extanker
it will lessen when the weather and tires get hot
X2 Cold (ie: harder) tires will increase the chances of wheel hop. Sames goes if the tires are getting old, they will harden up. Both happening together will definitely increase the chances of wheel hop. As mentioned, don't dump the clutch and come on the gas a little slower. Wheel hop is from a sudden change from traction to no traction and will cycle like that until either you get enough traction, come off the gas, or something breaks.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I'm reading it sounds like you are describing the wheels breaking loose due to the traction afforded the tires, in the conditions, on the given pavement. That doesn't match what I gathered on wheel hop, which relates to wheels moving up and down, which has to be suspension related.

If tires break free due to too much power for the coefficient of friction, then the tire spins (burns out). That should not cause the suspension for the wheel to lift up. To cure, what I'm reading wheel hop to be, you want to ensure the tires are in contact with the road surface at all times, so you need the suspension to work its thing - not be too stiff if the road is uneven. I could see, if you have a stiff suspension, and a very uneven road, that as you drive over the pavement the tire could loose contact with the road (road drops away a big, stiff suspension doesn't follow quick enough), and then the tire speeds up... and when the faster tire now hits the pavement again some inches further down the road, the suddenly applied torque/traction, rotates the car a bit, and as all 4 wheels go through this the corners of the car can begin hitting and lifting from the uneven road surface at various instants in time.

My guess its a stiff suspension in combination with a particular stretch of road, that create the conditions. If you have PASM or SPASM, switching the suspension to sport mode should increase the occurrence of wheel hop, and softer mode (comfort) should relieve it a bit.

Keep the tires on the pavement - either softer suspension, less power, or get the DOT to pave the roadway smoothly.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Minok
From what I'm reading it sounds like you are describing the wheels breaking loose due to the traction afforded the tires, in the conditions, on the given pavement. That doesn't match what I gathered on wheel hop, which relates to wheels moving up and down, which has to be suspension related.

If tires break free due to too much power for the coefficient of friction, then the tire spins (burns out). That should not cause the suspension for the wheel to lift up. To cure, what I'm reading wheel hop to be, you want to ensure the tires are in contact with the road surface at all times, so you need the suspension to work its thing - not be too stiff if the road is uneven. I could see, if you have a stiff suspension, and a very uneven road, that as you drive over the pavement the tire could loose contact with the road (road drops away a big, stiff suspension doesn't follow quick enough), and then the tire speeds up... and when the faster tire now hits the pavement again some inches further down the road, the suddenly applied torque/traction, rotates the car a bit, and as all 4 wheels go through this the corners of the car can begin hitting and lifting from the uneven road surface at various instants in time.

My guess its a stiff suspension in combination with a particular stretch of road, that create the conditions. If you have PASM or SPASM, switching the suspension to sport mode should increase the occurrence of wheel hop, and softer mode (comfort) should relieve it a bit.

Keep the tires on the pavement - either softer suspension, less power, or get the DOT to pave the roadway smoothly.
Wheel hop on Porsches is very common under hard acceleration when you dump the clutch. You'll get wheel hop before you get tire spin in my experience.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:02 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the 2012 GTS 4 a PDK or manual car? Should not get the described clutch effects if it is a PDK car unless the PDK is slipping and then there is a BIG problem. If manual then could be traction/clutch issue as noted by others but I believe liimited slip diff is standard on GTS 4. But I'd still investigate tires, wheels, axles, and suspension too.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:12 PM
extanker
Banned

IRS, cold weather and cold tires mean wheel hop. no matter what trans,motor,ims or flavor coffee ya got.high torque cars will break things....shafts,transaxle etc. do not drive through it,back off the gas.you can lessen it by changing rubber suspension bushings to semi hard ones but it will/can make the car unpleasant to drive. 30 years of corvettes IRS makes me know wheel hop.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Mine hops like a bitch on my 305 PS2's if you launch it in warmer temps...so I DON'T. It will just spin them up in the cold. If you want to do burn outs, a mustang with radial t/a's or a corvette with run-flats should do the trick! :-)
Old 12-12-2013, 08:13 PM
djskimo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for responses. More info:

- it's pdk
- ill be doing 40 then stepping on it causes wheel hop
- happens mostly on wet roads
- pasm was ON
- 10k miles on wheels and car. 19" GTS base wheels (black ones) tires are Bridgestone.

The last 4 out of 4 times I stepped on it the hopping happened. This is when I started getting concerned . But in all 4 times it was freezing temps .

Quick Reply: Severe wheel hop - 2012 4 GTS. Advice needed.