Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe wheel hop - 2012 4 GTS. Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by djskimo
Thanks for responses. More info:

- it's pdk
- ill be doing 40 then stepping on it causes wheel hop
- happens mostly on wet roads
- pasm was ON
- 10k miles on wheels and car. 19" GTS base wheels (black ones) tires are Bridgestone.

The last 4 out of 4 times I stepped on it the hopping happened. This is when I started getting concerned . But in all 4 times it was freezing temps .
Normal.
Buy winter tires.
Be safe.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:33 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan
Normal.
Buy winter tires.
Be safe.
X2 My damn pickup truck will spin the wheels and hop if I slam on the gas at 40 mph when it's wet. Just go a little easier on the gas pedal and build into it. You'll actually get where you are going faster then bouncing around, and you will be less likely to break something.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Wheel Hop

I solved this problem with my previous car a 2011 Cadillace CTS Coupe.
Terrible wheel hop when accelerating and turning as well as backing up and turning.
Here's what I learned: A: Summer Performance tires are made with very hard sidewalls. This composition of hard rubber is used on high performance tires like the ones on our Porsches.
B: A softer sidewall tire such as a all season tire will lessen the hop considerably.
C: The tire that eliminated my hop completely was the Continental Extreme Contact DWS all season.
I have these tires on my 2009 C4S and I don't get any wheel hop.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:30 PM
djskimo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Is the wheel hop when turning corner or straight line?
both. I can be dead straight going 30-40, hit gas 80% (not wot) and start hopping.

Originally Posted by stronbl
Some thoughts, although it could be a very frustrating trial and error process ... but it is not a Porsche thing per se, sounds more like a tire or wheel thing, or possibly a drive shaft-axle-suspension thing (ie bent shaft, bad strut, broken spring).

First thing to do is a detailed inspection of each tire and wheel, including struts and springs. Look for anything that appears odd- bulging tires, missing wheel weights, abnormal tread wear pattern, uneven ride height from side to side, etc. Check cold tire pressure too (use a guage not just TPMS) and bring up to recommended pressure if needed. If you see anything suspicious take it to a good tire shop and have them validate (unless it is strut or springs which might be a warranty item with Porsche). If you see nothing then drive it around at moderate speeds and monitor tire pressure so you can ensure you have tires warmed up to reasonable temp and then try your spirited acceleration again. If you have the same issue, take it to your tire shop and ask them to check the balance and roundness of the wheels (maybe a road force evaluation would be in order). If it all checks out, then perhaps you will need to take it to a Porsche service person and have them check out drive and suspension components and anything else that could cause the issue. Good luck.
Thanks for the detailed post. I'll see if this is something I can work on this weekend!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It sounds like this is your first Porsche.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Cocca
Intermediate

You're doing burnouts (or trying to)!!! That's funny! All 911's experience wheel-hop if you try to do a burn out. Get yourself a Mustang if you want to do smokey burnouts.

Best smokey burnout cars, see, http://www.ridelust.com/top-5-burnout-cars/#more-82157

Now, if you want to get nice spin on your Porsche, find a damp patch or better yet, pour some bleach on them thar tires.......

Have fun! Be safe!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:14 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If so, it's customary to write a poem about how your Porsche makes you feel. Just sayin.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Cocca
Intermediate

4-wheel burnouts

Fun!

Porsche burnout
Old 12-16-2013, 03:39 AM
djskimo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
correct!

Trying to learn more about these cars..
Old 12-17-2013, 01:00 AM
Canyonrs4
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It is totally normal, I had my C4S out today in Colorado temp was 49 and dry... the car was cold and the tires were cold, if you got on the gas it would hop. Summer tires turn to hard hockey pucks when cold and they loose a ton of grip. Read any notice online from the tire suppliers and they note not to drive summer tires in cold weather....

Wet roads make it worse, just get some winter rubber or wait until you get some warmer temps...

Quick Reply: Severe wheel hop - 2012 4 GTS. Advice needed.