Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers seat has mind of its own

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013 | 01:53 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Default Drivers seat has mind of its own

The drivers seat lumbar air adjustment will sometimes start inflating on its own. Very strange. I'm afraid that if I didn't catch it it would explode. Has anyone had this happen? Could the switch be going bad?
When it starts inflating, I just reach down and hit the switch to release the air and then it is fine.
TIA
Old 12-11-2013 | 03:51 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

My mother late 9o's bmw drivers seat would would go all "christine" every once in a while. Put on the glasses, and a bright light.... lost of sand and grit in the switch. Vacuum and clean the switch with a toothbrush. Problem gone.
I don't have inflating lumbar, so I don't know where your switch is.
Old 12-11-2013 | 05:00 PM
Minok
Drifting

I've had that happen at least twice on my 997.2 MY2009 car. Not while I was in the car, but I'd be driving one day and realize, damn, this seat is really uncomfortable, only to discover when I pressed my seat memory button the seat had fully inflated the bladders.

Went to the dealer about it twice, but as there was no failure or error code and it cannot be reproduced nothing could be done. Its happened twice over 5 years, but then I don't drive the car often enough to know what might be correlated with it occurring or if it would occur more often.
Old 12-11-2013 | 05:37 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Try saving the seat memory with the car stopped and the handbrake on.
Old 12-11-2013 | 10:51 PM
Iceter
Drifting

I had exactly the same thing happen. When I first got my CPO '09, every time I climbed in the car, the lumbar would start to inflate. It drove me nuts because I like my lumbar support totally deflated.

I'm not sure if the lumbar adjustment is part of the seat memory settings (on most cars, lumbar is NOT one of the memorized items) but once I dug into the manual and set the memory settings AND synched my key to the seat memory, the problem went away, never to return.

Edit: It did return for a period of a couple days but when I investigated, I found that my youngest son had left a walkie-talkie in the car, wedged between the seat and the rocker panel and when I moved my seat back a bit, it was pushing the lumbar switch forward (inflate). Quick and easy fix.
Old 12-12-2013 | 05:08 PM
hBomb
Intermediate

My 2006 c4s cab does this every time I get in the car. I dug into the manual and messed with the memory settings, but couldn't fix it. Maybe I didn't sync it to my key, though. Thanks for the suggestion, Iceter!
Old 12-12-2013 | 05:12 PM
Minok
Drifting

What does one do to 'sync the key to the memory'?
I assume that if I've got the key in the ignition, and adjust the seat, and then program a memory number, that is syncs that memory slot and key to that seat setting.. So if I'm only using the one key and not pressing other memory buttons, the seat should never change.

To be safe, I may just go and program the same settings for the other key as well.
Old 08-05-2024 | 03:07 PM
2fast2nick
Racer

Mine just did this on Friday, I started it up and I heard the pump noise and it just went full lumbar. I'll try to save it maybe. It's never done that before

Quick Reply: Drivers seat has mind of its own