Sponsored by:

997-weird sounds- NEW YOUTUBE VIDEO/SOUND

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:18 PM
thekellers1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997-weird sounds- NEW YOUTUBE VIDEO/SOUND

I have a 2011 911 and it is making some weird sounds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReWCK...ature=youtu.be

When in first or second gear, pushing in the clutch the rpms go up briefly and a whirling sound is heard

Last edited by thekellers1; 12-02-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:48 PM
thekellers1
AutoX

this second video is just pushing in on the clutch at 3000 rpms in second gear
Old 12-03-2013, 08:45 AM
thekellers1
AutoX

181 views and No one can identify this issue? I admit I am clueless..the clutch is firm to the floor...no weird sounds when pushing on the clutch pedal. I read I need to remove a transmission plug to check level...I am not going to do that....Anyone recognize the issue the car is having?

Last edited by thekellers1; 12-03-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:48 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

My guess would be your transmission has a defective throwout bearing or front bearing

If the RPM's are going up after you let out the clutch that means your clutch is slipping, if it is going up after you push it in then I suspect that there is some Porsche program software being used to keep the rpm up while you shift. I would expect other similar models as yours to do the same.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:17 PM
thekellers1
AutoX

Thanks Jumper!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:27 AM
thekellers1
AutoX

So much for crowdsourcing on this site
Old 12-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

asking people to diagnose a sound over the internet is difficult.

If you aren't happy with the free answers you've received here, perhaps its time to hit the ATM and go to a mechanic who can see your bloody car in person.

unreal.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 AM
dasdman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
asking people to diagnose a sound over the internet is difficult.

If you aren't happy with the free answers you've received here, perhaps its time to hit the ATM and go to a mechanic who can see your bloody car in person.

unreal.
+1

Have to agree with Quadcammer. Since you don't like the free advice you are getting, like checking the fluid levels in the transmission, then get some advice that is not free.

You are driving a $70K+ car, go get it fixed and stop wondering what it might be. Hopefully you are not doing more damage to it by driving it around!!

I suspect nobody has responded because nobody (on this board at least) has had this issue. Everyone is more than willing to share experience and advice if they think it will help. Any thoughts you get on here with something like this is strictly going to be a guess anyway and you should still take it to a mechanic for a correct and complete diagnosis.

Please do share your mechanics findings, it might help someone else in the future.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:45 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thekellers1
181 views and No one can identify this issue? I admit I am clueless..the clutch is firm to the floor...no weird sounds when pushing on the clutch pedal. I read I need to remove a transmission plug to check level...I am not going to do that....Anyone recognize the issue the car is having?
no
Old 12-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

This seems to contradict what you said in your first post.

I can't positively ID the source of the symptom but I can say that almost always if there is any noise associated with depressing the clutch pedal with the engine running a release bearing has to suspect #1.

There can be other reasons for the noise most of them still related to the clutch or clutch hardware. Transmission issues come in for suspicion, too.

Regardless if my WAG is correct or not the car will not fix itself.

You need to take the car to a qualified shop for repair. And I'm sure the tech before he starts any repair is going to want to perform a diagnosis which is what he should do, unless you "order" him to replace the release bearing.

However, if I were you I would not tell him to replace the release bearing based on what I or anyone else said here.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:05 PM
thekellers1
AutoX

Thanks Macster.....I appreciate your time....and answer

A little backround..I wasn't disappointed with the answers I got..I was disappointed in the lack of answers....more backround..I am on two boating websites...www.boatdiesel.com and thehulltruth.com....and can tell you..on both of those sites you get tons of answers..and from the many answers you get a pretty good idea of what is going on can be learned.. some people calling others out for being wrong....boatdiesel also has experts who are in the business that give insight and answers to people's problems.

Now I might have been a bit premature on my disappointment...but I can say if this site had more people in the know , willing to help others, or simply give their free opinion it would be good for all of us.

And yes...I have an appointment at the dealer for monday...and no I am not going to tell the mechanic anything..other then what I can about what I experienced...

Thanks to those who were willing to share their thoughts
Old 12-05-2013, 11:54 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-06-2013, 12:17 PM
thekellers1
AutoX

Cute Yemen Mocha,

But I try not to label people that i don't really know.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:43 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now I might have been a bit premature on my disappointment...but I can say if this site had more people in the know , willing to help others, or simply give their free opinion it would be good for all of us.
Sounds like you're doing your own labeling here to me. No ?

This site DOES have more people in the know. We ARE willing to help others and we DO give our free opinions.

But you should know we don't shoot from the hip with half assed diagnosis that you're apparently accustomed to on the boat forums.

A 20 second video is at best a vague and weak illustration of what is potentially going on with your car.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Thanks Macster.....I appreciate your time....and answer

A little backround..I wasn't disappointed with the answers I got..I was disappointed in the lack of answers....more backround..I am on two boating websites...www.boatdiesel.com and thehulltruth.com....and can tell you..on both of those sites you get tons of answers..and from the many answers you get a pretty good idea of what is going on can be learned.. some people calling others out for being wrong....boatdiesel also has experts who are in the business that give insight and answers to people's problems.

And yes...I have an appointment at the dealer for monday...and no I am not going to tell the mechanic anything..other then what I can about what I experienced...

Thanks to those who were willing to share their thoughts
Note sure the lack of response was due to no one willing to help you. Noises are often difficult to diagnose in person.

Over the 'net... double that difficulty.

I sometimes listen to a clip and do not have a clue. 'course that is not surprising as I'm not an expert.

Audio clips are woefully inadequate for making anything but a WAG regarding what is wrong.

When I do choose to chip in I myself have to listen several times and sometimes listen then go off and do something else and then come back and listen again.

These are complicated cars. They cost a lot of money. They can cost a lot of money to have worked on. I'm sure I'm not alone in my thinking but I've very aware of these facts and temper my advise accordingly. The last thing anyone wants to do is say oh the noise is X and then after a big bill it turns out to be Y.

Sure, while it is always up the owner to make up his own mind with the help/input of a trained qualified technician no one wants -- even if unintentionally though with the best of intentions -- to send someone here seeking help off on an expensive wild goose chase.

Quick Reply: 997-weird sounds- NEW YOUTUBE VIDEO/SOUND