Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advice on how to give a 997 GTS 4 an aggressive GT3 look?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 04:52 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Here is my GTS. My track friend named this GT3 Wanna Be...LOL

ordered it with factory aero kit
installed Bilstein Damptronics to adjust height and corner balance among other things
Mike, I really like the silver wheels on your black GTS. I have the black ones on my white GTS and like them, but I think the contrasting silver ones look great on your car.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 04-09-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Mike, I really like the silver wheels on your black GTS. I have the black ones on my white GTS and like them, but I think the contrasting silver ones look great on your car.
Thanks likewise...black wheels on white looks awesome and preferred. I wish my track wheels where silver too but they only came in black..no biggie just a track wheel and not there for a car show, LOL
Old 11-15-2013, 07:17 PM
switch911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It's funny last year when I was 997 shopping I was avoiding all the cars with aero kits -- was paranoid about being the GT3 wannabe I had read about. Then it happened: I found the exact car I wanted -- low mileage, all the options, colour, etc and of course, it had the one thing I was avoiding -- the aero kit. I said screw it -- bought it anyways. Told myself, "I can hunt down an OEM rear deck lid/internals and front lip." A couple months later I did just that. The thing is: they are both still sitting in my garage, I love the aero kit now. Sure the Porsche Elitist snobs probably look down on my car and that's ok because I enjoy it. I am not pretending to own a GT3, hell if this car wasn't my DD during the nice months I would buy one. To each their own and as long as you aren't plastering your car with GT3 decals all the power to you. But just like you have been previously warned, nothing Porsche or at least Porsche quality is cheap and if it is, the fit and finish will be horrid.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

Keep your GTS as built, it is a beautiful car as is. Get a GT3 if you want "the look".
Old 11-15-2013, 07:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Well for the record I LOVE my factory aero kit and I don't mind, think its hilarious the GT3 wanna be title I hold. Its fun ribbing among friends.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:41 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

cancel order.

buy GT3
Old 11-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by P0rsch3F113
+ 1. Don't do it.
+3
Old 11-16-2013, 12:48 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Aero kits such as mdrums look great. What ever the GT3 aero bits do for a GT3's performance can be replicated on any other same gen 911. But Do people really put GT3 badges on their aero kit cars? That's just silly.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Aero kits such as mdrums look great.
I've seen mdrums' car many times at Sebring and it definitely does look great (and quick!). It's graphics clearly identify it as a Carrera GTS and while Mike and his GT3/RS buddies kid back and forth it being a wannabe, nobody thinks he's trying to pass it off as a GT3.
I think the OP should do whatever (short of GT3 or RS graphics) he'd like to do to his 997. I also agree with the other posters that recommend he use Porsche aero bits as opposed to 3rd party vendors if he decides to add an aero package. The improved fit / finish is one big reason, but better aero efficiency is another. The design and fabrication of the Porsche parts will have been at least influenced by, if not developed in, the wind tunnel.

Just my $.02 - in the end I'm sure the OP will love owning and driving his 997 as much as all of us love ours!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
I've seen mdrums' car many times at Sebring and it definitely does look great (and quick!). It's graphics clearly identify it as a Carrera GTS and while Mike and his GT3/RS buddies kid back and forth it being a wannabe, nobody thinks he's trying to pass it off as a GT3.
I think the OP should do whatever (short of GT3 or RS graphics) he'd like to do to his 997. I also agree with the other posters that recommend he use Porsche aero bits as opposed to 3rd party vendors if he decides to add an aero package. The improved fit / finish is one big reason, but better aero efficiency is another. The design and fabrication of the Porsche parts will have been at least influenced by, if not developed in, the wind tunnel.

Just my $.02 - in the end I'm sure the OP will love owning and driving his 997 as much as all of us love ours!
Thanks!

Yes my GTS is clearly badged as a Carrera GTS. I got the aero kit for downforce at the track and I like its looks too. If I didn't have a prosthetic leg and could push a clutch pedal I'd have a 997.1 GT3 or possibly a .2 GT3. Those cars are just my style...my GTS is as close as I could get with PDK.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:26 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks!

Yes my GTS is clearly badged as a Carrera GTS. I got the aero kit for downforce at the track and I like its looks too. If I didn't have a prosthetic leg and could push a clutch pedal I'd have a 997.1 GT3 or possibly a .2 GT3. Those cars are just my style...my GTS is as close as I could get with PDK.
sounds like the 991 GT3 might be right up your alley!!!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:24 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
sounds like the 991 GT3 might be right up your alley!!!
Oh it is....just not wanting to spend the money right now plus Porsche hasn't release a seat that accepts a 6 point harness....waiting for a year or 2
Old 11-28-2013, 02:45 AM
djskimo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for bringing up an old post, finally got my car and super excited. The car looks exactly like the one below. Same color and model and all.

Now, next to my BMW M3 (stock bumper), the 911 GTS bumper is actually higher by almost an inch off the ground. I feel that just a front splitter would be enough to give it an aggressive look. The rear is actually pretty nice as is and doesn't seem to need a wing.

I have been googling for ages, but having a hard time finding what are my options for front lips/splitters (what are they called???) that attach below the bumper. Lots of choices but not actually sure what can fit. Can I find ones in the same black (not body color painted) to match the side-skirts? I read somewhere that the Turbo splitter would look nice.

For example, I found those: http://www.racinglab.com/lsp-flip-pu...997s-0508.html . But it says that is matches "Aero kit bumper only". Is that what I have?

Thank you!!

Old 11-28-2013, 08:33 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Djskimo, look at the pics of my GTS. The front spoiler I have (factory) will snap right on your car. Your front bumper is the same as mine. Gt3 spoilers will not fit...just an FYI.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:47 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, front lip only.

Just wish there was a cheap poly one for the regular .2 bumper. :-/

Quick Reply: Any advice on how to give a 997 GTS 4 an aggressive GT3 look?