Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2..........dot 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So that settles it...manual is best! :-)
Old 11-11-2013, 10:13 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
My sentiments exactly! Call me "old school" but a sports car needs to be a manual, PERIOD! Don't care if its faster, quicker, whatever, its just not the same!!!

I truly feel PDK is just a rationale for people who would normally not drive the marque because it is a sports car and requires some work, to be able to tout it as the end all-be all...but in the end, they probably just end up in auto mode 95% of the time anyway.

Just my $.02, for whatever that is worth (not more than $.02, obviously).
WTF. Don't even know where to start with that so it's probably best left alone. You should post the same thing on https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ and substitute F1 for PDK. Can't wait to read that thread.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I truly feel PDK is just a rationale for people who would normally not drive the marque because it is a sports car and requires some work
Huh? Apparently Porsche has it wrong then because the 991 GT3 and Turbo are only offered in PDK. But what do they know.

After test driving the PDK I traded my 2007 for a .2 PDK and couldn't be happier. It's a DD. But even if it wasn't there is nothing like flooring a PDK in Sport Plus.

While on a trip once in the 07' I was stuck in stop and go traffic in Houston for 2 hours. I enjoy rowing the gears as much as the next guy but that was the most miserable experience I have ever had in any car.

I honestly think those who are anti PDK have simply not experienced it.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:15 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

My sentiments exactly! Call me "old school" but a sports car needs to be a manual, PERIOD! Don't care if its faster, quicker, whatever, its just not the same!!!

I truly feel PDK is just a rationale for people who would normally not drive the marque because it is a sports car and requires some work, to be able to tout it as the end all-be all...but in the end, they probably just end up in auto mode 95% of the time anyway.

Just my $.02, for whatever that is worth (not more than $.02, obviously).
Ok, you got me. On my 4th 911, would never have bought my 85 911 if it wasn't PDK. Or my 964 or my 996.. Wait...

What a silly post. Most sports cars are not available in 6 MT. Witness the GT3, any Ferrari! Lamborghini, MacLaren etc. Porsche is following suit. It's not just about being quicker, some people (myself) prefer PDK, even with a choice. Some prefer MT and that's OK too.

To the OP congrats on your new one.. Looks like my twin. Even the mileage and color and year are almost spot on.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 PM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CAA
I had one warranty issue with my last one (vibrating passenger seat) and that was "handled" by Porsche of Tysons. I say handled because they drove it around the block for 5 minutes, came back and said "they all do that". Turns out the new car passenger seat has a slight vibration as well so maybe they're right.
I was feeling the same way as I thought the passenger seat vibrates a bit more than I would like during idle, etc. Was thinking maybe something is loose or maybe the car is vibrating more than usual or something. Good to know it's normal and not an issue!
Old 11-12-2013, 03:12 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 997.2 nonS manual is having its 40k service (ouch) and I got a loaner '14 Cayman PDK, base (275HP). All I can say is wow! I took it on a spirited drive on back-country roads, and even though the suspension is the non-Pasm, that chassis is amazing. The PDK is incredible too, which is the subject of this thread. On sport mode, it downshifted much earlier and downshifted later than on regular mode, as you all know. It did feel quite entertaining but I agree with others that the shifter needs to be reversed, upshift when pulling back, downshift when pushing forward. I think they are going to this on the new GT3. Yes, its vey fast but I still felt that I missed the manual tranny. On the switch back roads, it felt that it was somewhat difficult to tell in which gear it was, even though there is a visual reminder on the dash in betwn the tach and speedo. But you still had to take your eyes off the road for a split second. Maybe, that feeling would go away once you become more familiar with the PDK, since this is my first time on one of these. On my car with the manual, you can tell by feel and this somehow makes me more confident, your hand memory knows what gear you left it on. I mentioned how fast the PDK is, but also maybe because its a 2014 compared to the OP's 2009 first gen (or 2nd gen) PDK, I suppose that Porsche has continued to evolve this transmission. It goes through the gears so wonderfully fast without giving the impression that you are jumping from 1st to 4th. It felt right. Overall, I am impressed with the PDK. More so, I am impressed with the Cayman. I wonder how a PASM equipped Cayman would compare. That steel one was amazing, but it looks too SUV. Yet, it felt that it had a really good balance between compliance and stiffness. My 997.2 has the sport Pasm, so I am used to a stiffer suspension, but Porsche has continued to refined these chassis, very impressed. I also liked the car's size and shape. Its really good looking. Not so sure about the new 911's increase in size. I did miss having the back seats and had to leave the car home and use my spare suv to take my kids to the movies. My next car? I would seriously consider a Cayman S with a manual, and just a few options to keep the price in the high 60's low 70's. The base cayman with 275hp felt great (but a little low on torque), can't imagine the S with 325HP. No sunroof, I missed that since I use mine all the time. I don't know why they don't offer it, if you want wind in your hair, I guess they think you would get the boxster. But the 911 has a convertible and coupe with sunroof, so why not. A sunroof would be in my wish list for the Cayman, but that will not happen in this generation, bummer.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeler
So that settles it...manual is best! :-)
I think PDK is still evolving; the 991 PDK is totally different than the 997, faster, smarter, more interesting. The 991 GT3 PDK is said to be even faster but I cannot comment because I never drove it.

Comparing my PDk to Manual I agree that there is less involvement, especially if you are induced to be lazy. However, if you shift with paddles, if you always put it on Neutral when you stop the car, etc, you can become more involved.

Where the PDK excels is shifting velocity, and on a track or a long mountainous ride you will feel the difference, never miss a shift, up or down, always precise, fast, never a gear grind or clutch slip.

I have no doubt that manual track cars will be extinct in the near future, in the case of Porsches they already are.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:35 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't think Porsche isn't going to release a "drivers edition" or whatever GT3 and/or Turbo with a manual at some point...you're nuts. This is the best marking ever! Get a bunch of guys to buy the PDK then release the manual later due to demand. Brilliant! Absolutely no doubt the PDK is faster around the track but that won't keep the weekend warriors and purists from always wanting a manual. And Porsche would be crazy not offer it since it's easy old technology.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:39 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustomf
I think PDK is still evolving; the 991 PDK is totally different than the 997, faster, smarter, more interesting. .
Really - totally different - not my experience. You push fwd the lever (or press the button) and the gear changes up. You pull the lever back and it changes down a gear. It may change a few milliseconds faster in the 991 but how is it totally different.

The 991 system may be a bit better but totally different - c'mon..

Quick Reply: 997.2..........dot 2