Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche wants to buy my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:10 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

been getting these for both lexus for a while now.

once u own your car (or pay off in full), they make no money off you; which for them is a no-no.

its nothing but to a ploy to get you in to continue buying cars from them.

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Must be the latest fad. I got a call from the Lexus dealer saying they wanted my LX 570.

Last edited by myw; 10-26-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:24 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys make it sound like it's a big scam Companies have to get creative with their marketing tactics. This one's a little corny but I'd be interested in seeing what kind of uplift a dealership gets from this activity.

You might recall the Pfaff Porsche campaign from last year here in Toronto... They visited a select number of homes and snapped photos of a new 991 in the driveway, then printed off a nice direct mail piece which was left on the doorstep at the home (which featured a photo of the car in their driveway). I imagine this was an expensive program but they saw a 32% response to book a test drive!

Old 10-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Letters are on thing, get those all the time. No doubt that the calls were made to existing 911 owners trying to get us to trade up, although no mention of trade was discussed, simple question of whether I was interested in selling. (My dealer is the same as vexed and he got the call too.)

But I've been around the block more than a few times (I'm older than the original 911) and lived in different parts of the US. In all my years of owning a wide variety of makes ranging from Ford, Plymouth, Chevy, Mazda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Porsche, this was the very first time a dealer has ever called me directly asking whether I wanted to sell my specific car.

I found the call quite surprising. From the responses here, seems more like a new fad dealer tactic in general vs. Porsche doing something specific to boost 991 sales or my dealer wanting more pre-owned inventory. On the other hand, there is some truth in that my dealer's pre-owned 911 stock is low. They show 2 pre-owned 991s and that's it, no 997s to be found. But then again, their 911 pre-owned stock is always fairly low, at times nada.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Linwoodc3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zer026T
You guys make it sound like it's a big scam Companies have to get creative with their marketing tactics. This one's a little corny but I'd be interested in seeing what kind of uplift a dealership gets from this activity.

You might recall the Pfaff Porsche campaign from last year here in Toronto... They visited a select number of homes and snapped photos of a new 991 in the driveway, then printed off a nice direct mail piece which was left on the doorstep at the home (which featured a photo of the car in their driveway). I imagine this was an expensive program but they saw a 32% response to book a test drive!

Yes, it's common. I don't even own one yet (they know I'm looking), but I've received 3 emails from the P-dealer down the road. When I went in to see what kind of inventory they had, he didn't even remember sending me the email after giving me a greeting fit for a king.

On the tactic above, I can see some crafty U.S. folks filing lawsuits over pictures like that, especially if it included pics of license plates, etc. The whole Google Vehicle/Street View controversy comes to mind (stretch..but hey...litigation nation).
Old 10-26-2013, 05:30 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

its not a scam, its just that they say they want you to come in because they want your car, but the real truth is they want your car so that they can sell you another one.

toyota does this too, as my in laws started getting these letters from toyota barely 2months after they bought the car from teh dealership. they dont check for any other criteria i think other then if your car is paid off or not; although i could be wrong.

Originally Posted by zer026T

Old 10-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
Letters are on thing, get those all the time. No doubt that the calls were made to existing 911 owners trying to get us to trade up, although no mention of trade was discussed, simple question of whether I was interested in selling. (My dealer is the same as vexed and he got the call too.)

But I've been around the block more than a few times (I'm older than the original 911) and lived in different parts of the US. In all my years of owning a wide variety of makes ranging from Ford, Plymouth, Chevy, Mazda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Porsche, this was the very first time a dealer has ever called me directly asking whether I wanted to sell my specific car.

I found the call quite surprising. From the responses here, seems more like a new fad dealer tactic in general vs. Porsche doing something specific to boost 991 sales or my dealer wanting more pre-owned inventory. On the other hand, there is some truth in that my dealer's pre-owned 911 stock is low. They show 2 pre-owned 991s and that's it, no 997s to be found. But then again, their 911 pre-owned stock is always fairly low, at times nada.
They did not mention a trade because they want to GET YOU IN THE DOOR. Once you're in the door, of course the next response is "so have you considered what you'll be replacing this car with? Let me show you this _______"
Old 10-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Did you notice in the video the car never enters the owners property line? The photo is taken on city property not to induce legal implications..........executed with detail
Old 10-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

My sales guy just called and left me a message on Thursday. Same old line. I happened to be near the dealership and stopped by yesterday and, before I could tell him I wasn't interested, he apologized for the call and that it was just SOP that management had all sales people reach out. Although, he did say that he could move my car very quickly, he gets the fact that when you build a car, including PTS, it's not very likely that you'll trade it in for a silver (no offense) 991.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
My sales guy just called and left me a message on Thursday. Same old line. I happened to be near the dealership and stopped by yesterday and, before I could tell him I wasn't interested, he apologized for the call and that it was just SOP that management had all sales people reach out. Although, he did say that he could move my car very quickly, he gets the fact that when you build a car, including PTS, it's not very likely that you'll trade it in for a silver (no offense) 991.
Right….I built the car so I could trade it in 3 years later…sure. My feeling is if you want a TB 911 you're going to have to build that one like I did….and wait for it the way I did! I'm not selling this one as I love it even more as every year goes by!

Tim, did you do full leather and the center console?

Thinking about that job next!

Tom
Old 10-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Along similar lines, my realtor called me a couple weeks ago. He says there is virtually no inventory of homes in my area, and wanted me to list mine.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:16 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Everything's for sale!!!!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:18 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

I got slightly more, I think very low 20s. Insulting. If I ran the local Porsche dealer I'd make sure those kinds of letters didn't go out to my customers and repeat buyers.

Originally Posted by utkinpol:10859004
They all send such stuff. And then offer ridicolous 'evaluations', like a $18k for my car. Yeah, sure.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BED997
I got slightly more, I think very low 20s. Insulting. If I ran the local Porsche dealer I'd make sure those kinds of letters didn't go out to my customers and repeat buyers.
I've got a MY06 C2S and was quoted high 30s (subject to full appraisal), which I thought was insulting. But compared to you guys I guess it's pretty good. Still, no sale!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Right….I built the car so I could trade it in 3 years later…sure. My feeling is if you want a TB 911 you're going to have to build that one like I did….and wait for it the way I did! I'm not selling this one as I love it even more as every year goes by!

Tim, did you do full leather and the center console?

Thinking about that job next!

Tom
Just do the console Tommy, you know you want it in full leather!

Here's mine, another reason I'm not selling!

Old 10-27-2013, 04:54 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
Just do the console Tommy, you know you want it in full leather!

Here's mine, another reason I'm not selling!

I'm drooling man…….consider it ordered! However long it takes it takes…….OEM…Natural Brown…the whole kit and caboodle!

Do you still love it as much as you did when you first did it?

Thanks!:thumb up:

Tom

P.S. Did you ever do that small piece in front of the shifter or anything else? Just wondering

Quick Reply: Porsche wants to buy my car