Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 997 Squeaky Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:20 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 110 Posts

My guess is that the brakes are glazed. First get the brakes warm. Find a offramp or a side road, get the car to at least 55mph and stomp on the brakes. (Make sure nobody is behind you) Dont let the ABS kick in. If they do release slight preasure to prevent the ABS to kick in. You might have to do this 2-3 times but this will remove any glaze or rust on the pads/rotors.

If this doesnt work you will need to pull the wheels and clean and inspect the pads.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by atx.911
Is there a certain kind I should shop for? Or any will do?

Autozone Brake Clearners
Any kind will do.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:31 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I tried 3 rounds of 70-20 with no ABS and it worked - not a single squeak the first drive in the city (I drive in the city a lot and sometimes short distances).

The second drive the squeaking came back.

I bought some brake cleaner so going to try that next and take it to the shop to have them inspect the brake pads. My guess is the rotors are still good but the pads need to be replaced. This car was sitting in a lot where it rained a ton for a few months. Not the ideal situation but it was worth the buy.

Last edited by atx.911; 10-22-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: edit
Old 10-23-2013, 12:18 AM
powderzone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car has sensors that tell you when the pads are low (the sensor shorts out on the calliper and you will get a light on the cluster). If the rotors have been contaminated (unlikely but possible) you can try mineral spirits with a fine emery paper to clean the rotors. I've done this on motocross and mtn bike rotors and it worked fine....but have never had the issue on my 997.
Good luck.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:42 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by atx.911
Well I tried 3 rounds of 70-20 with no ABS and it worked - not a single squeak the first drive in the city (I drive in the city a lot and sometimes short distances).

The second drive the squeaking came back.

I bought some brake cleaner so going to try that next and take it to the shop to have them inspect the brake pads. My guess is the rotors are still good but the pads need to be replaced. This car was sitting in a lot where it rained a ton for a few months. Not the ideal situation but it was worth the buy.
Give it a good cleaning with brake fluid.
Pull the wheels off, place an old bucket (or cut open a empty bottle of washer fluid or laundry detergent) under the rotors and start spraying the brake cleaner on the rotors, calibers, and pads.

You also might want to pull the pads out and inspect them for cracks.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Provided the pads are not touching the rotors, it's fairly typical on novice Porsche drivers to not brake aggressively enough.

Late brake for each and every stop light or stop sign for a few miles. The problem will go away. Even some times my PCCBs will squeal when I am taking it easy--and then I do that and things are back to normal. Warming them up generally eliminates the noise.

Quick Reply: 2006 997 Squeaky Brakes