Sponsored by:

C2S Cab vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 03:25 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts
Default C2S Cab vs Turbo

I had a chance to spend a bit of time driving my friends 997.1 turbo coupe the last few days. Although my C2S cab and the turbo are really different cars, I was expecting to be blown away by the turbo in all respects and no longer feel the love for my cab. Pros for the turbo: violent acceleration, adaptive sport seats (love these puppies), very solid feel, wide booty, rear seats humans can squeeze in, better rear visibility. Cons for the turbo: engine sound, turbo lag, all-wheel drive (for me), weight in the front. The engine sound just doesn't have the flat six growl and scream to it period. All the way from turning the key to acceleration and cruising.............it just doesn't have the classic 911 flat six sound due to the turbos whining and sucking etc. I personally am not a fan of the extra weight over the front of the car.........it's not that it's bad, I just far prefer the push feel of the rear engine and rear drive. I know everyone says how the 4s are rear biased.............this may be true, but it just doesn't feel as good to me. Turbo lag was evident (contrary to what all the reviews say..........there is a violent push at 3K rpm on up).
Then I think about my C2S cab...............top down, flat six screaming at 6K rpm in open air...............and I still love it!
I know these two cars are totally different beasts, but I expected to absolutely love the turbo to the point where my cab would be up for sale. I know this sounds strange, but given a choice between the two..........I'd take my cab.
When I bought my car, I didn't consider getting a turbo because they were too expensive. Now I'm appreciating that more expensive and faster doesn't always mean better. It's really a question of what floats your boat.
My opinion only...............most will think I'm crazy.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you're crazy at all.

I have always owned NA motor cars with good power but nothing crazy or boosted. I love the 911 Turbo, don't get me wrong; But there is something special about the NA 6cyl. . .

I have a newfound appreciation for cars that handle well and can be tossed around quickly that are fun. 1000whp doesn't impress me as much as some.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the same school.

I haven't driven a 997 turbo yet, so I haven't had the experience yet, but I completely subscribe to the mindset. I appreciate the look of the turbo, and especially the Turbo S. I respect what they can do, and think they are one of the best looking cars of all time.

But the looks & the HP wouldn't make it my first choice. Like you, I would have to drive it first, and if I preferred my cab, I'd keep the cab. Key factors are feel, personality, 'sense of soul', and the roar from the pipes. I know there's a big difference in sound when tucked into a coupe, or out in the open with the cab.

If I felt like I needed more power, but preferred the cab, there are many options for that. (superchargers etc)

I do like the all wheel drive 997's and see a 997 Targa 4s on my radar for the future. I agree, the rearward visibility of the coupe vs. the cab is substantial. I've come to Porsche from a long line of Z3's and M Roadsters and I'm still adapting to what I can't see when I look behind me.

Two questions:

• What flavor of 911 that you would consider for a valid swap (or in addition to) your cab ?
• Do you live where a cab can be top down most of the time?

I live in Northern California, and find myself with the top down most of the time. (more than 90%) but given the opportunity, I could definitely be convinced to trade the cab for a Targa 4s. That being said, I still like the topless thing, so it's likely I would try to pick up a 964 C4 Targa as a stablemate for the 997 Targa when the day comes.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:37 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have nothing against the turbo and I'm sure it has some performance numbers in acceleration and such that are better. But I love a N/A engine, the sounds, the steering feel, etc. that are a bit different. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:21 AM
plantagenet
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound and the ability to drop the top are key factors in my enjoyment of my car.

The Turbo is a lovely car and the engine in it is a big plus factor over a c2s cab.1. It will also hold its value better as it is a rarer car. Would totally understand why someone might change to one. I personally would lean to a newer normally aspirated cab if I was swapping mine in as the newer updated interior and sound and ability to drop the top are more important to me.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:13 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think you're crazy at all. I'm in the same boat. Never cared for Turbos. Great acceleration numbers, sure, just don't like how they look and sound. A personal taste to be sure but that's why Porsche makes many flavors of the 911 (to please us all).
Old 11-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 911 S cab 997 for 4 years and generally found it exceptionally satisfying on most levels. Big improvement over the 04 C2 cab I had previously. However, I could not help feeling something was missing. It was quick but not really that fast. It handled well but at times at high speeds would be somewhat less than tightly gripped to the road.I ultimately went to a 997 Turbo coupe and everything changed. The speed, all that grip and the solidity of the suspension all combined to create the driving experience lacking in the 2S. There is a directness between the driver and the turbo that creates a feeling on oneness with the car. So impressed that I took it even further to the Turbo S which elevates the experience to an even greater level of satisfaction. a little more of everything that makes driving a supremely exhilarating adventure. My point is that the 997 Turbo is a quantum leap beyond the 911 whether it is an S or 4S. Until you live with the Turbo for as little as a week, you will never go back.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Who here has heard a 997 Turbo with an M&M exhaust?

Quick Reply: C2S Cab vs Turbo