myw and wheeler

Here's a link to a better set of photos of the wheels

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-the-gts.html
Old 10-23-2013, 11:51 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by rglbegl
This is why you measure twice, and cut once.
(And my first response was a real answer to his problem. Ditch the spacers = problem solved)

I am sorry if I have hurt some feelings. Telling people they are not as smart or as good a driver as a Honda driving ricer must have hit a little too close to home for some folks. And for that, I am truly sorry.
Have you considered becoming a paying member so you can access the politics and controversy forum? https://rennlist.com/forums/politics...ntroversy-212/

You'll love it there. A small group of people dedicated full time to creating arguments and hurling insults.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:57 PM
rglbegl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Have you considered becoming a paying member so you can access the politics and controversy forum? https://rennlist.com/forums/politics...ntroversy-212/

You'll love it there. A small group of people dedicated full time to creating arguments and hurling insults.
Isn't that what the entire internet is for?
Well, that and a giant shopping mall according to my wife. (who, BTW, responds to more post here than I do. I was gone all weekend)
Old 10-24-2013, 12:16 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

LOL

Originally Posted by sandwedge

Old 10-24-2013, 12:17 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

LOL x2

Originally Posted by rglbegl
Isn't that what the entire internet is for?
Old 10-24-2013, 04:54 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I still plan on getting H&R spacers once I get back stateside. I asked specifically about them on here, everybody raved about them.

And i'm doing it because it looks cool, who doesn't like a nice wide stance?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:56 AM
07C4S
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustomf
I though all spacers were like that, you first put the spacer on the hub using flush allen bolts and then use your original bolts to attach the wheel onto the spacers.

My 993 had spacers like that, I would not put spacers that are lose with longer bolts, I could see where wobble would come into play this way, bad torquing of lugs.

And I agree that spacers are for looks only, but it does look good!
Both work but I agree the Porsche spacers seem to be a better solution. The 2nd set fits the center of the hub on the 3 tabs w/ no slop and have a "duplicate" set of hub tabs for the wheel. No issues. Without the duplicate tabs - just a donut w/ 5 holes - I agree it would be an issue. (Porsche spacer has the tabs also.)

I'm not sure it is strictly for looks. Is it possible the Porsche rear wheels may rub on the inside without the spacers? Never tried the Porsche rims without spacers (the winter set is much narrower) but since Porsche built/shipped the car this way I figure they did it for a reason. Or, since I have a low volume optional rim (Carrera Sports) Porsche may just make one offset that fits both NB and WB cars and uses the spacers for the WB?

Regardless, I don't think there are any strength or engineering concerns - at least not with my setup. A 99 Honda Civic with the wheels sitting 3 inches outside the fender is an entirely different situation and an apple to oranges comparison.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 07C4S
Both work but I agree the Porsche spacers seem to be a better solution. The 2nd set fits the center of the hub on the 3 tabs w/ no slop and have a "duplicate" set of hub tabs for the wheel. No issues. Without the duplicate tabs - just a donut w/ 5 holes - I agree it would be an issue. (Porsche spacer has the tabs also.)

I'm not sure it is strictly for looks. Is it possible the Porsche rear wheels may rub on the inside without the spacers? Never tried the Porsche rims without spacers (the winter set is much narrower) but since Porsche built/shipped the car this way I figure they did it for a reason. Or, since I have a low volume optional rim (Carrera Sports) Porsche may just make one offset that fits both NB and WB cars and uses the spacers for the WB?

Regardless, I don't think there are any strength or engineering concerns - at least not with my setup. A 99 Honda Civic with the wheels sitting 3 inches outside the fender is an entirely different situation and an apple to oranges comparison.
Dumb question, can you glue the spacer to the wheel or the hub with silicone (which is easy to take out is necessary), so it is perfectly centered and then put the wheel on the car? If the problem is the spacer not being 100% centered would that not be a solution? The amount of silicone would be minimal. I think it is worth a shot.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Augustomf
Dumb question, can you glue the spacer to the wheel or the hub with silicone (which is easy to take out is necessary), so it is perfectly centered and then put the wheel on the car? If the problem is the spacer not being 100% centered would that not be a solution? The amount of silicone would be minimal. I think it is worth a shot.
I would be concerned about the silicone compressing over time and therefore resulting in reducing the torque on the lugs. Just use the retaining screws to hold it the spacer in place. If it is not centering correctly in the first place, then maybe it isn't something you should be using. The spacers I used sat tight on the hubs and were centered.

Quick Reply: Spacers...wobble...