Sponsored by:

WD40 & leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:45 PM
rvp325carrera
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WD40 & leather seats

Took a leap of faith. Works like a charm. Seats are supple, feel nourished and shine. Black leather, btw. Smell dissipates in no time. Allow aeration.

Also coated my wiper blades. Incredible.

Just an FYI

997.1 C4S. Daily driver. 58k miles
Old 10-18-2013, 10:52 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea that is a leap of faith. I love the stuff, matter of fact just used some not 5 min ago, but I would have been very nervous to use on my seats. Good to know though.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:02 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Wow, you all up here in the 997 forum do some odd things to your cars.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:04 PM
rglbegl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saddle soap and leather lotion are your friends.
WD-40 will make your leather go hard and crack over time. (So will armor-all)

Last edited by rglbegl; 10-18-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

No way would I do the WD-40 route!
Old 10-19-2013, 12:31 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

+1 is that also not a potential safety hazard re slipping around?

Originally Posted by Edgy01
No way would I do the WD-40 route!
Old 10-19-2013, 12:39 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm getting sick and frakking tired of being the local egghead (or Village Idiot Savant for those of you who watch "The Bridge"), but WD40 is, ostensibly, an aliphatic hydrocarbon. I've used it to clean grease and grime off my racing bicycles and to remove big smudges of grease fom my skin. If you do some research (OP) you can ascertain whether or not such a chemical compound (aliphatic hydrocarbon) has a deliterious effect on leather/synthetic components.

I had a Chem professor who loved to say "There's a whole lot of chemistry going on around us", I dismissed it at the time but 30 years later I see the wisdom in that statement!
Old 10-19-2013, 12:42 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
I'm getting sick and frakking tired of being the local egghead (or Village Idiot Savant for those of you who watch "The Bridge"), but WD40 is, ostensibly, an aliphatic hydrocarbon. I've used it to clean grease and grime off my racing bicycles and to remove big smudges of grease fom my skin. If you do some research (OP) you can ascertain whether or not such a chemical compound (aliphatic hydrocarbon) has a deliterious effect on leather/synthetic components.

I had a Chem professor who loved to say "There's a whole lot of chemistry going on around us", I dismissed it at the time but 30 years later I see the wisdom in that statement!
Does that mean you approve or disapprove?
Old 10-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999

Love it!!! And I don't even watch the bridge.
Care to dumb it down?
Cheers Bro!
Luke
Old 10-19-2013, 01:20 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

that was very brave of you.. I don't think I would ever use a non leather treatment product on an expensive leather interior..
Even if it seems to work at the beginning, the long term effects are not known and what Tcc1999 posted makes a lot of sense.
Your better off spending a few more dollars on proper care for your precious vehicle

Oh, and if I think from a used car buyer point of view, this is another reason why I am worried buying new cars, you just never know what they did to it
Old 10-19-2013, 01:34 AM
chrismmm
Instructor

the gentleman (TCC1999) commented that it will have a damaging effect on the leather. May look slick and shiny now but over time it will breakdown the structure of the material.

someone mentioned saddle soap! Better idea. It softens and works to protect the leather.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:37 AM
chrismmm
Instructor

fairly accurate info on wd40

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
Old 10-19-2013, 01:51 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

Originally Posted by rvp325carrera
Took a leap of faith. Works like a charm. Seats are supple, feel nourished and shine. Black leather, btw. Smell dissipates in no time. Allow aeration.

Also coated my wiper blades. Incredible.

Just an FYI

997.1 C4S. Daily driver. 58k miles
This is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Atanabe
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have probably used all types of leather products on all of my cars over several decades, BMW, MB and of course Porsches and finally found one product that has lived up to all of my expectations. It is is Leathertique, a two step process, cleaner/rejuvenator and final clean. At first I was a little skeptical so I tried it on my 2001 5 series Beemer, it did a great job at cleaning the blue jean stains off of the camel leather and the final finish was by far the best that I have seen from any product. http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_you...irections.html After the first try, I bought more of the product to use on an old 1996 Ford Explorer and finally my 09 C2S. It worked wonders to clean out the schmutz off of the steering wheel and brought out the supple feel back to all of those leathers. The instructions are far different than any other product that I have used, applying the rejuvenator and steaming it in under the hot sun, but it really worked!

Expensive, but worth it in my book. I will be a lifetime customer.
The following users liked this post:
Boardfeet (03-03-2023)
Old 10-19-2013, 02:13 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Atanabe
I have probably used all types of leather products on all of my cars over several decades, BMW, MB and of course Porsches and finally found one product that has lived up to all of my expectations. It is is Leathertique, a two step process, cleaner/rejuvenator and final clean. At first I was a little skeptical so I tried it on my 2001 5 series Beemer, it did a great job at cleaning the blue jean stains off of the camel leather and the final finish was by far the best that I have seen from any product. http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_you...irections.html After the first try, I bought more of the product to use on an old 1996 Ford Explorer and finally my 09 C2S. It worked wonders to clean out the schmutz off of the steering wheel and brought out the supple feel back to all of those leathers. The instructions are far different than any other product that I have used, applying the rejuvenator and steaming it in under the hot sun, but it really worked!

Expensive, but worth it in my book. I will be a lifetime customer.
+1 After trying Leathertique I gave away all of my other leather cleaners. This is top notch stuff!

Quick Reply: WD40 & leather seats