Rats!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:08 AM
mazadi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rats!!

...or maybe mice.

On my way home from work last night my Reduced Power and Check Engine warning lights started flashing on and off and beeping. I didn't feel like I had reduced engine power or sense any issues but I had the car towed to the shop (under warranty) to check. The dealer called yesterday and said that they had found some rodent damage. Apparently a mouse or rat had crawled into the engine compartment and chewed some wires. It would cost about $500 to fix. That sure stinks, but what can you do.

Today he called back and said they fixed the wires and took the car out for test drive and the check engine light kept coming on. The mechanic took the alternator off to get a better view and found a nest buried deep inside the engine. Deep enough to where he couldn't reach it without taking the engine out. The dealer called and said "You should call your insurance because this is about to get really expensive". So tomorrow they're dropping the engine out and starting to dismantle my engine to get to the rodent nest and fix whatever has been chewed through.

I've heard of rodents getting into engines and chewing through wires before but a nest is crazy. This is my daily driver too so it's not like it sits around without getting use. I am now working on a Caddyshack plan to eliminate all rodents of all types from my neighborhood.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 261 Posts

Wow, the heat of the engine didn't run them away, specially if you use the car daily. Porsche engines should come with mouse traps from factory! Good luck!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by mazadi
...or maybe mice.

On my way home from work last night my Reduced Power and Check Engine warning lights started flashing on and off and beeping. I didn't feel like I had reduced engine power or sense any issues but I had the car towed to the shop (under warranty) to check. The dealer called yesterday and said that they had found some rodent damage. Apparently a mouse or rat had crawled into the engine compartment and chewed some wires. It would cost about $500 to fix. That sure stinks, but what can you do.

Today he called back and said they fixed the wires and took the car out for test drive and the check engine light kept coming on. The mechanic took the alternator off to get a better view and found a nest buried deep inside the engine. Deep enough to where he couldn't reach it without taking the engine out. The dealer called and said "You should call your insurance because this is about to get really expensive". So tomorrow they're dropping the engine out and starting to dismantle my engine to get to the rodent nest and fix whatever has been chewed through.

I've heard of rodents getting into engines and chewing through wires before but a nest is crazy. This is my daily driver too so it's not like it sits around without getting use. I am now working on a Caddyshack plan to eliminate all rodents of all types from my neighborhood.
This sounds crazy on several fronts. I had a rodent problem in the attic of my house once and learned a lot about rodent behavior from the exterminator who fixed it. Rats and mice set up residence where they can store food, sleep and breed in peace. Deep inside the engine crevices of a 911 daily driver doesn't seem to fit that model. But even if this particular rat felt it did, the engine has to come out to clean things up? With all the sophisticated tools and equipment on hand these days I think I would reach for a second opinion.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Mudcat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch! Second opinion sounds like a good idea. Most insurance policies have an exclusion for damage from vermin so you may strike out on that front.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:12 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudcat
Ouch! Second opinion sounds like a good idea. Most insurance policies have an exclusion for damage from vermin so you may strike out on that front.
Very true - you may have a problem claiming through insurance,
Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 180 Posts

This happened to my wife's Audi. Not to this extent but there was a nest. They most likely crawl in after you get home to stay warm. I bought a bunch of the sonic emitters as well as coyote urine powder and a ton of mouse and rat traps. I like the kind where they can't get out so they don't crawl up and die in the engine bay. I caught several in the first few weeks but haven't had a rodent or evidence in a few years.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

While cutting my grass yesterday my elderly neighbor stops me and asks me what to do about his mice problem. We go look in his matrix and his sienna van and there are sunflower seeds everywhere along with a few chewed wires. He has a bird feeder near the garage and they have taken to eating his bird seed(first problem) and living in his rarely used cars.
Told him about the peanut butter wheel of death, natural peppermint oil, mesh wiring for his intake etc. I popped open his intake box and it was loaded with sunflower seeds.
Good luck with you on the car but you have to get rid of them in your garage. Clear out any food source(his bird seed is in a metal can with a lid) The mice are just picking up all the seeds the birds drop when they eat. Second, you are going to have to eradicate them. Cat works but then you have a cat. Peanut butter wheel of death is highly effective but don't use anti freeze if you have dogs or other pets.
Peppermint oil SHOULD work but I am not positive it's an end all cure.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:29 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes me want to stop by and pick up some traps even though I have not seen a mouse around. What is the peanut butter of death?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Over the years I've encountered a few Porsches in the (dealer) service for rodent infestation issues.

In one case it was a Turbo Cab. The owner brought the car in because the engine was acting up and the CEL was on. Tech found rodent sign on top of the underbody/engine plastic panels.

The engine had to come out and the engine harness replaced.There was other damage too to the interior. The owner turned the claim into his home owners policy. I do not know what the total bill was but with the engine out and new harness at least $5K.

In another case I came across a new Cayman. The mice had gnawed on various items from the carpets along the bottom of the door -- for nesting material -- to the heavy rubber sheeting behind the front bumper cover that make up part of the radiator ducting to the vapor line from the tank to the engine comparment. It was the smell of gasoline and a CEL that prompted the owner to bring the car in and then the damage was spotted. This owner started out intending to pay for the damage repair out of his pocket but after the bill (est.) climbed to over several thousand dollars he too sought help through his home owners insurance.

A car is a prefect mouse or rat home. Nice tight spaces so no cat can sneak up. No drafts. Lots of material to use for nest building. Lots of material nearby to gnaw on to keep the incisors from growing too long.

If a mated pair finds a car at the right time they can move in and set up housekeeping in no time.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine made a nest in the cabin filter, so do check yours.

I had setup traps in the garage but has not capture one yet, this happened a few years ago. My assumption is, it's not in my garage but the previous owner, he didn't drive it much. I drive it as much as I can.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

This damage and repair should be covered by your Comprehensive Coverage.

And, yes, Peppermint Oil is a great natural solution to sprinkle around your garage. Buy REAL peppermint oil from your natural health food store (not peppermint extract). You can also put the peppermint oil on cotton *****, and place around your garage area. This and the other suggestions in combination will work well.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

5 gallon bucket, string, coffee can, 2 X 4, antifreeze and peanut butter.
1. Drill a smal hole on either end of the coffee can(lid and bottom)
2. Run the string through the can.
3. Drill small holes on opposite sides of the top of the bucket
attach string so coffee can spins freely
4. Smear coffee can with peanut butter
5. Place 2 x 4 or other piece of wood as a ramp to the lip of the bucket from the floor
6. Fill bucket about 1/4 of the way with anti freeze
7. Clean out monthly
Old 10-17-2013, 03:10 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
Makes me want to stop by and pick up some traps even though I have not seen a mouse around. What is the peanut butter of death?
Old 10-17-2013, 05:54 PM
mazadi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and looked at the engine today. It's quite a crazy site. First there were dozens of snail shells all throughout the engine bay where they apparently bring snails in and eat them in the warmth and comfort of my car. They had started chewing away the soundproofing material to make their nests as well. I find it nuts that I drive this car every day and yet the mice have figured out a way to work around my schedule. The biggest bummer is that we are remodeling the house so the garage is unavailable for a little while. I've been parking it outside for the past few weeks and I'm sure that's when this started. I'm not sure what to do now during the next few months of construction as I can't really poison the entire neighborhood's pet population.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:15 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

They have a smaller one for mice. You don't have to kill all the neighborhood's pet population, but you can put a dent in the pest population. Safer system for kids and dogs and cats. The rest of the pests can suffer your evil revenge.

Quick Reply: Rats!!