Rats!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 06:21 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by mazadi
...or maybe mice.

On my way home from work last night my Reduced Power and Check Engine warning lights started flashing on and off and beeping. I didn't feel like I had reduced engine power or sense any issues but I had the car towed to the shop (under warranty) to check. The dealer called yesterday and said that they had found some rodent damage. Apparently a mouse or rat had crawled into the engine compartment and chewed some wires. It would cost about $500 to fix. That sure stinks, but what can you do.

Today he called back and said they fixed the wires and took the car out for test drive and the check engine light kept coming on. The mechanic took the alternator off to get a better view and found a nest buried deep inside the engine. Deep enough to where he couldn't reach it without taking the engine out. The dealer called and said "You should call your insurance because this is about to get really expensive". So tomorrow they're dropping the engine out and starting to dismantle my engine to get to the rodent nest and fix whatever has been chewed through.

I've heard of rodents getting into engines and chewing through wires before but a nest is crazy. This is my daily driver too so it's not like it sits around without getting use. I am now working on a Caddyshack plan to eliminate all rodents of all types from my neighborhood.
Christ - tell me you don't live in the city please
Old 10-17-2013, 08:02 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

If you use a rodent poison bait, the issue you can run into is the poisoned mouse/rat goes on its merry way only to die in an inaccessible place that within a few days will announce its death with a VERY strong odor that lasts for weeks. Most unpleasant and you better hope that it's not inside the car.

It's best to either live or kill trap them on the spot. I like the bucket trap as long as one uses water. There is no need for antifreeze.

Last edited by CAVU; 10-17-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Most rodent poison is warfarin or some other form of anticoagulant. One of the side effects of warfarin and others is that they are a diuretic, which makes the rodent extremely thirsty. Rodents poisoned in this way will most often go to their water source to die. As long as their water source is outside, you should be ok.

The bucket traps are very effective, too, and since they're non-poisonous, you can put one or two right next to your car and get all the mice you want. The benefit of the bucket trap, besides being safe around pets and kids, is that the water keeps the smell down if you don't clean it out very often.

The drawback to bucket traps is that if you use them outside, squirrels, possums and dogs will eat the bait in no time.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Our house backs into a green belt. Great view but it's a field of dreams for rodents until my wife brought home our mini-dachshund 8+ yrs ago . The little guy roams our backyard and does a "rat patrol" twice a day when we go through the garage before his daily walks. I witnessed one of his rat attacks in the early days when a rat happen to hide in our BBQ grill. Coco was barking up a storm at the grill. And when I opened the grill door he solved the potential rodent problem in the split/snap of a second. The Germans know how to build great cars(especially Porsche) and they breed an awesome canine to protect our p-cars. GL repairing your car and keep please us posted on the outcome.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...uddy-coco.html
Old 10-18-2013, 03:41 PM
wa2fast
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are both retired and don't drive her Lexus much. So it sits in the driveway and there have (in the past) been some mice issues - inside the pollen filter, under the hood, on the engine. So I searched online to see if there was something that was easy and non toxic to use to keep them away. I came across the following recipes and have not (touch wood) had any issues since we started using the spray. Recipe is as follows:

For Moles & Mice:
  • 2 TBS Castor oil
  • 6 TBS liquid dish washing soap
  • 1 tsp Tabasco
  • 1 minced garlic clove
  • 1 quart water
• Directions: Mix a fresh batch before use, pour around the rodent hole. Reapply after each rain. Source: Natural Alternatives for You and Your Home by Casey Kellar.
Recipe #2
  • 1/2 cup liquid detergent
  • 1 TBS Tabasco sauce
  • 1 gallon of water
• Directions: Mix and spray around rodent holes and in areas where they’ve been spotted. Apply after each rain.

Plant repellents: Peppermint, sage. Plant these in your garden and in flower beds along the house if you routinely have a problem.

I`ve been suing the second recipe and it seems to work for us. Fortunately, my P Car lives in the garage...so I haven`t had any issues there.

Honda also sells a pepper based wiring tape to repel rodents in the case of them chewing wires under the hood. Not sure of the PN...but check with your local Honda dealer if you need this.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

You guys are going about it all wrong. When you own a German car, you need a GERMAN mousetrap to catch the mouse. It's in the manual. (You need to read it!) May I recommend this one:
Attached Images        
Old 10-18-2013, 09:47 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You guys are going about it all wrong. When you own a German car, you need a GERMAN mousetrap to catch the mouse. It's in the manual. (You need to read it!) May I recommend this one:
That is the post of the century !!!

Quick Reply: Rats!!