Problem with door handle

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvibe
My shop has fixed a similar problem with the provided by me part (pictured above). But I have noticed that the door handle although pressing against the rubber circle doesn't sit symmetrically and there is a quite noticeable gap on the top. Does anyone else have a similar gap or maybe knows how to fix it? Thank you!

There are 3 screws that hold the handle mechanism in a certain position and allow for adjustment. Your shop didn't reattach the interior handle to check k the alignment before tightening the screw and re-installing the door card. It needs to be taken apart again, adjusted, and put back together.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:45 PM
jimvibe
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
There are 3 screws that hold the handle mechanism in a certain position and allow for adjustment. Your shop didn't reattach the interior handle to check k the alignment before tightening the screw and re-installing the door card. It needs to be taken apart again, adjusted, and put back together.
Thank you! I think I could do this myself. Could you please tell me how the adjustment is made? Would the handle mechanism still sit tight if that's done?
Old 07-31-2017, 11:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimvibe
Thank you! I think I could do this myself. Could you please tell me how the adjustment is made? Would the handle mechanism still sit tight if that's done?
You can certainly do it yourself. Find the DIY on door panel removal and once the door panel is off, go to the backside of the panel and locate the three torx screws that locate the handle mechanism, and loosen them, reinstall the handle, and position it so the fit is correct with the door spear, tighten the three screws, remove the handle, reinstall the panel, reinstall the handle and you should be good.

on the back side of the handle is a molded in pin that you goes through a hole and contacts one of the door microswitches. This is the one that makes the window drop and raise when opening the door from the inside, so make sure the pin aligns with the hole correctly.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Easy fix. Door handle axle is the part name. Buy from Pelican Parts part #997-555-381-03 or Suncoast Parts #9X7HL ( which includes the cable which I didn't use and found not necessary to replace. Follow the YOUTUBE video for replacing the speaker for the best step by step for removing the door panel itself, and then follow the door handle axle video replacement for step by step for removing the broken door handle axle. This is an easy fix for anyone! A difficulty of 3 out of 10. Cost $25-50.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Bleu by you
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door handle broken- wasn't broken when I took it to the dealer for other work.

What would you do? Took my 2009 911 to the dealer for sport mode/ sport mode plus install (1500.00) returned and found my door handle sticking out and window not going up without pushing the handle in. Wasn't noted on my bill but other issues were. Wasn't like that when I dropped it off, called and left message but haven't heard back yet. How loud should I scream? New to this community so would appreciate any feedback. Part #2 while at the dealer they noted my self leveling lights were not plugged in as well as brake lines not attached to their carriers. Had independent shop install Eibach springs and dealer suspected they weren't put back. What's up with Porsche repair community?
Old 08-07-2017, 11:23 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bleu by you
What would you do? Took my 2009 911 to the dealer for sport mode/ sport mode plus install (1500.00) returned and found my door handle sticking out and window not going up without pushing the handle in. Wasn't noted on my bill but other issues were. Wasn't like that when I dropped it off, called and left message but haven't heard back yet. How loud should I scream? New to this community so would appreciate any feedback. Part #2 while at the dealer they noted my self leveling lights were not plugged in as well as brake lines not attached to their carriers. Had independent shop install Eibach springs and dealer suspected they weren't put back. What's up with Porsche repair community?
I would certainly bring it up, but the problem with that type of issue is that's it's going to happen at some point anyway, because they all break. See what you can and work out but it's probably a lot cheaper for you to fix it yourself than to pay them. Maybe offer to split the repair cost with them, which I think would run you about $75 (1/2 part and 1 hour labor) if you'd rather they do it.

Posts like this are why I prefer to do my own work on my P-cars so I know it was done right.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:39 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

As mentioned before this is usually the culprit, they are a common failure. We keep them in stock. Use the coupon code in signature for any item on our site.

https://rennpart.com/product/driver-...ayman-carrera/

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook

Quick Reply: Problem with door handle