Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Lowering Springs on 911 with PASM

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:15 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

I have had two different 06 Carrera S Aero kit cars now. The first had H&R springs installed when I purchased it and IMO the car was too low. The ride seemed okay, as I had no prior experience, but it looked too low IMO.

I recently installed Eibach springs on my current car and I have to say they are perfect. Looks more like a GT3 or an aggressive factory stance than the definite aftermarket look of the H&R's. Ride quality is marginally firmer than stock but does feel more planted and taught. Less bobbing around. I'm always amazed at the great ride quality of these cars compared to other sports cars.

No issues with the PASM on either the H&R's or Eibach but folks have claimed the H&R's can cause trouble with the PASM overtime due to lowering it out of their working range. Just one more reason I went for the Eibach's instead.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 389 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
My 997 is currently lowered, with h&r's. I'm in Toronto too... You are more than welcome to come for a drive? Pm if interested. With our expensive taxes, the pavement is hardly cooled, before the rip it up. I too have some stock height springs in a box, ready to return to reg height. While I love the hwy drive of the lowered car, the low Toronto mess is very disheartening. I get annoyed when my car get hight centered on a big Mac box.
Thanks for the offer! However, I have run H&R's on my first Carrera while in Dubai and hated them. Too stiff and too low hence why I'm considering running the Eibach's...may just wait until next spring and get through this winter first before finally pulling the trigger. I'm in Ajax so let's see how bad the roads actually get.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:52 AM
maxrod
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From all that I have read, It seems that the Eibachs are the way to go as the H&R and TECARTS would lower too much and may affect ride.

Now for a 1M dollar question. What is the big difference between a 997 Turbo PASM and a regular 997 PASM?
Old 12-01-2013, 07:05 PM
porka
Banned

go with eibach.. h&r's will sag over time and not ride like oem
Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 PM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Techarts on my 09 C4S Cabrio and they are the perfect vs the H&R's which do end up settling too low IMO.

The Techarts are essentially white labeled Eibachs but i was told they were spec'd differently that the "out of the box" Eibachs which cost less.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by porka
go with eibach.. h&r's will sag over time and not ride like oem
I disagree. More than 70,000 miles in total on two H&R lowered 997's. Still waiting for the "sagging" and still waiting for the difference in ride feel in terms of harshness. No there.

Last edited by sandwedge; 12-03-2013 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-03-2013, 01:29 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since this thread was created, I have long had my car lowered on H&R springs…

Just a quick update - the car rides just as I had hoped. More responsive in turns with what feels like zero body roll. The sharp turns feel like a "point and shoot" scenario which I love.

The car does not feel overly harsh AT ALL and I can still even enjoy the PASM function when the mood strikes. I do not rub, however in order to achieve the look I wanted, I did add 8mm front and 18mm rear spacers from ECS.

As far as sagging goes - this whole ideology is FALSE from my understanding. I had a long talk with my Porsche master tech about it. I don't remember ALL of his very in depth explanation but basically, with the proper installation and alignment you will not experience any such thing. To anyone looking at H&R's, I'd say GO FOR IT! This is my third car with H&R brand springs and they have never let me down.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Perk10
Since this thread was created, I have long had my car lowered on H&R springs…

Just a quick update - the car rides just as I had hoped. More responsive in turns with what feels like zero body roll. The sharp turns feel like a "point and shoot" scenario which I love.

The car does not feel overly harsh AT ALL and I can still even enjoy the PASM function when the mood strikes. I do not rub, however in order to achieve the look I wanted, I did add 8mm front and 18mm rear spacers from ECS.

As far as sagging goes - this whole ideology is FALSE from my understanding. I had a long talk with my Porsche master tech about it. I don't remember ALL of his very in depth explanation but basically, with the proper installation and alignment you will not experience any such thing. To anyone looking at H&R's, I'd say GO FOR IT! This is my third car with H&R brand springs and they have never let me down.
Nice, I'm also a fan of H&R, had mine for over 22K miles w/o any issues. Some say it's too low, I think it's perfect. No sag, rub or roll.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:25 PM
maxrod
Intermediate

This issue of H&R sagging is on both sides of the coin. On one side here in Florida with two different shops, Vertex in Coral Gables has experience H&R going bad in about a year, while 40 miles up the road at Champion Motorsports, they have never encountered such problems and they affirm doing at least two H&R's per week. So what is the deal here? Installation, alignment, bad batch of springs?
Old 12-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maxrod
This issue of H&R sagging is on both sides of the coin. On one side here in Florida with two different shops, Vertex in Coral Gables has experience H&R going bad in about a year, while 40 miles up the road at Champion Motorsports, they have never encountered such problems and they affirm doing at least two H&R's per week. So what is the deal here? Installation, alignment, bad batch of springs?
give me a moment to call my friend who is a Porsche master tech and he will explain.... I am about to call him anyways
Old 12-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 259 Posts

I think a lot of shops out there may want to sell you a more expensive option, like coil overs. I haven't heard of any problems with H&R springs.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:47 PM
targaC4S
Instructor

Subd. Im deciding on this too.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:52 PM
maxrod
Intermediate

ROBOCOP305 - I think you hit the nail in the head. However, been told that the labor will be essentially the same. So I will presume that they are thinking of selling me a set of KWs which is an overkill. I don't track the car, I am looking for an improvement in ride and looks.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:53 PM
maxrod
Intermediate

Robocop305, I think is time to consult Scott Findley.. :-)
Old 12-14-2013, 02:30 PM
maxrod
Intermediate

To Perk10:

Any word from your expert?

Quick Reply: Question on Lowering Springs on 911 with PASM