Question on Lowering Springs on 911 with PASM

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow Question on Lowering Springs on 911 with PASM

Hey guys,

I am thinking of lowering my 911 C2S with H&R Sport Springs. Before I do so, I have some questions that I think you all will be able to help answer.

In the past I have lowered cars with H&R's and therefore trust their quality. One thing that I do NOT like are some of the things that lowering a car (specifically a BMW M3 with oversized wheels for example) are that the car tends to rub, scrape and tires no longer wear as evenly.

With my Porsche, I am told it is already a bit lower due to the fact that it has PASM. What I am looking to accomplish is a lower stance and therefore a better look to compliment my current and upcoming custom wheels.

What I do NOT want is rubbing or uneven tire tread wear....

So I JUST got done meeting up with a friend who is a Technician for Porsche and needs some side work because business is slow for him this time of the year as it is very seasonal here. He agreed to install my springs for only $250 cash. The springs themselves cost about 300 and he is even willing to do an alignment for free. . .

I pretty much cannot pass this up even though I can live without the car being lowered. The total out of pocket to have my Porsche lowered with H&R's and a fresh high speed balance and alignment for $550 total? Sign me up right??

Do you guys have any input as to what the ride quality will feel like? I absolutely love the way my Porsche feels right now and I hardly ever drive it with the suspension in Sport. I often drive with the car in Sport mode but keep the dampening on comfort because I mainly drive on flat and straight roads with no fun aspect (damn Florida )...

What I am afraid of is that I wont like the way the car rides. I know that the roads here are so nice that I wont really have to worry about bumps or scraping my front bumper believe it or not.. I also know that he will be able to do a nice flat alignment so that my camber keeps my tires wearing evenly. It's just the ride I am worried about at this point.

Thanks everyone for reading this long post and PLEASE feel free to chime in with any input you may have!

John
Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed
Old 09-05-2013, 11:04 PM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

My 09 C4S Cabrio is lowered on Techart springs. I have H&R's on my Audi S5 and they're good quality springs, but more aggressive in terms of how low they settle vs others.

My ride quality is unaffected with the Techart's vs OEM and frankly I like it better. The stock setup for my car is too soft IMO and while still not perfect for me, it's better in terms of not being as "floaty".

I'm also running spacers so in terms of rub you shouldn't have an issue so long as you have the proper offsets.

As for tire wear, it's all about alignment. You need to do it and especially on ce the car settles on the springs.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Perk10
Pro

Originally Posted by 993 Guy
My 09 C4S Cabrio is lowered on Techart springs. I have H&R's on my Audi S5 and they're good quality springs, but more aggressive in terms of how low they settle vs others.

My ride quality is unaffected with the Techart's vs OEM and frankly I like it better. The stock setup for my car is too soft IMO and while still not perfect for me, it's better in terms of not being as "floaty".

I'm also running spacers so in terms of rub you shouldn't have an issue so long as you have the proper offsets.

As for tire wear, it's all about alignment. You need to do it and especially on ce the car settles on the springs.
Like you said about wear, it is all about alignment so I am sure we can make it right...

I am surprised, however, to hear that you felt as though your 4S was "floaty"... I do not get that feeling in my car. Maybe I am just not as picky (I mean that in a nice way). I looked into the Techarts but they are pricey and do not lower the car as much. Nice to know you are enjoying them! Thanks for the response
Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 AM
911grizzly
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here we go again. As I have posted before, I removed the H&R lowering springs installed on my 997 C2S by the previous (and original owner). I reinstalled the OE springs and much prefer the ride on Toronto's potholed roads.

I am interested in selling the H&R springs I removed which are in excellent condition and come with the original box. PM me if interested.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:41 AM
Perk10
Pro

Originally Posted by 911grizzly
Here we go again. As I have posted before, I removed the H&R lowering springs installed on my 997 C2S by the previous (and original owner). I reinstalled the OE springs and much prefer the ride on Toronto's potholed roads.

I am interested in selling the H&R springs I removed which are in excellent condition and come with the original box. PM me if interested.
Sorry but I missed your post.

do you mind sharing with the forum your reason for removal? any reason other than potholes? I have none where I live.

PM sent -

John
Old 09-06-2013, 02:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

On my second 997 now, both dropped on H&R's. Same experience on both cars over almost 70K miles: Little change in ride quality, at least to my butt and no rubbing. Maybe a hair firmer lowered but the much improved stance (especially with spacers) makes you forget about that.

As for uneven tire wear on the rears, that seems to be a 997 thing lowered or not, even with good alignment. Some owners say they get fairly even wear but I never saw it and most who post here about tire wear seem to be in the uneven wear fold. Both my cars have ridden on 3 to 4" of the innermost part of the rears which wear down to the cord while the outermost part looks ok. Here's a recent one thrown on the trash heap.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2013, 09:11 AM
911grizzly
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Perk10 - PM sent
Old 09-06-2013, 09:24 AM
mxp
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

you could look at some GMG or RSS rear arms if you want to correct camber back to stock levels once lowered, the stock arms while they do have some minor adjustment will not be able to correct the camber 100% after the 1.2" drop
Old 09-07-2013, 12:23 AM
powderzone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '06 4S Cab has a TechArt lowering kit. I'm also running 12" rims on the back with spacers and have never had any rubbing. You will absolutely need an alignment done after lowering or you'll be down to the cords in a hurry. Ride quality is outstanding.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:20 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 385 Likes on 164 Posts

I'm in Toronto and presently debating the same thing but not on H&R's but running Eibach's...

I've run H&R's on my first 997 Carrera and they settled way too low for my liking which was 1.4". This meant that I ended up rubbing. After a bit of research it would appear that Eibach's lower the car only 1" which is the important difference.

And....my H&R's felt way too stiff when compared to the stock suspension.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:09 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

My 997 is currently lowered, with h&r's. I'm in Toronto too... You are more than welcome to come for a drive? Pm if interested. With our expensive taxes, the pavement is hardly cooled, before the rip it up. I too have some stock height springs in a box, ready to return to reg height. While I love the hwy drive of the lowered car, the low Toronto mess is very disheartening. I get annoyed when my car get hight centered on a big Mac box.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:29 PM
dw.metro
Racer

Anybody out there track their cars with stock shocks combined with lowering springs?
Old 09-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Pferrf1
Advanced

I too went with the Eibachs. Lowered 1 inch. I find it was the perfect amount.

I had a bit of floatiness at high speed and it really settled down. It feels just that much better. No affect on PASM.

I still scrape regularly but it's manageable. I also installed the factory aerokit. The front splitter is already showing the wear after 1 year.

I personally wouldn't lower as much as the H&R springs do. You can't always guarantee the nice flat roads or the angle of ramps, driveways, etc.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:34 AM
pires
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with GMG lowering springs and sway bars. Car feels much more planted and has less body roll than it did before.

Quick Reply: Question on Lowering Springs on 911 with PASM