Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO Warranty Claims?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:36 PM
ufischer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CPO Warranty Claims?

I have a couple of "cosmetic" items and would appreciate any feedback from those in the know on the likelihood of CPO covering them or any tips to induce my dealer to cover them:

1. Paint peeling on interior plastic surfaces. Mostly the center console (particularly the ash tray) and in the PDK surround.

2. My cab top has scuff marks at a number of places which look very nasty. They appear to be from rubbing during stowing/unstowing. They do not appear to affect the functioning of the top or include any penetration.

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ufischer
I have a couple of "cosmetic" items and would appreciate any feedback from those in the know on the likelihood of CPO covering them or any tips to induce my dealer to cover them:

1. Paint peeling on interior plastic surfaces. Mostly the center console (particularly the ash tray) and in the PDK surround.

2. My cab top has scuff marks at a number of places which look very nasty. They appear to be from rubbing during stowing/unstowing. They do not appear to affect the functioning of the top or include any penetration.

Thanks.
You'll never know unless you ask...but probably considered normal wear and tear and not covered. Depends on dealer too.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Cosmetic wear & tear aren't covered but yeah, go ahead and ask.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:34 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts

If you have A/C control unit buttons or other buttons that are peeling (the ones with the soft touch paint applied), your dealer should replace them. I've had my a/c unit replaced to a new one that just has black plastic *****/buttons.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:19 PM
G356
Advanced

Prior to my warranty ending, I had the dealer replace the console b/c it started peeling. I don't know whether this can be done under CPO.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's normal wear and tear but if you have a great relationship with your dealer, they might fix it for you, highly doubt they will try to get that reimburse by PCNA.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 PM
iii911ooo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

According to my dealer, the CPO warranty is identical to the OEM 4 year, 50K mile warranty with no deductible. So, I would suspect that this would be covered. On both of my BMW's, I had interior trim pieces replaced under warranty as the finish was peeling/chipped with no need to urge the dealer to fix. Regardless, it doesn't cost anything but your time to ask the dealer to repair it under warranty.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:10 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I had peeling of the rubber on the temp. and fan controls. Dealer replaced with a new unit under CPO.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by iii911ooo
According to my dealer, the CPO warranty is identical to the OEM 4 year, 50K mile warranty with no deductible. So, I would suspect that this would be covered. On both of my BMW's, I had interior trim pieces replaced under warranty as the finish was peeling/chipped with no need to urge the dealer to fix. Regardless, it doesn't cost anything but your time to ask the dealer to repair it under warranty.
Whoever told you that the CPO is identical to the original warranty was a liar. If your dealer treats it as such, let us all know the store so we can all buy our CPO cars from them. I suspect they told you that either at the time of purchase or when they were repairing a covered item. Take them something expensive that is outside the CPO coverage--I suspect their tone will change.

Interior trim is not covered under the CPO but repair or replacement is up to the individual dealer. If they do replace it, the cost will be eaten by the dealer, which generally means the answer is no.

Leith Porsche in Raleigh, NC will tell you no.

Beverly Hills Porsche will ignore your request.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:12 PM
iii911ooo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceter
Whoever told you that the CPO is identical to the original warranty was a liar. If your dealer treats it as such, let us all know the store so we can all buy our CPO cars from them. I suspect they told you that either at the time of purchase or when they were repairing a covered item. Take them something expensive that is outside the CPO coverage--I suspect their tone will change.

Interior trim is not covered under the CPO but repair or replacement is up to the individual dealer. If they do replace it, the cost will be eaten by the dealer, which generally means the answer is no.

Leith Porsche in Raleigh, NC will tell you no.

Beverly Hills Porsche will ignore your request.
Haha.
My dealer is Leith in Cary. Based on the following, it appears to me that what I was told is accurate.

From the Porsche Approved Website (http://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedu...rscheapproved/)

Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Warranty
The scope of cover of the Porsche Approved Warranty is at the same level as our new car warranty and ensures your certified pre-owned limited warranty, mile after mile, year after year.

Under coverage, the site states that the warranty does not cover:
• Emission Control Systems and Corrosion. (Refer to the Emission Control and Corrosion Limited Warranties in the new vehicle limited warranty manual.)
• Batteries damaged from storage, lack of normal vehicle use, or non-Porsche Approved electrical or accessory installation.
• Tires damaged by road hazard. (If you need further assistance, contact your authorized Porsche automobile dealer.)
• Tires damaged by premature wear.
• Parts that fail due to lack of required maintenance or use of non-Porsche Cars N.A. distributed parts.
Normal wear and tear or deterioration of any part.
• Cleaning and polishing.
• Contamination of fuels, lubricants, or other fluids.
• Lubricants, unless part of a warranty repair.
• Air conditioner refrigerant charge unless part of a warranty repair.
• Glass breakage, chips and/or scratches that are not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
• Appearance items that are not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
• Any car registered or normally driven outside of the United States and Canada.
• The replacement of expendable maintenance items (such as spark plugs, filters, worn wiper blades, worn brakes, worn clutches, worn tires) when the replacement is not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
• The adding of any fluids unless they are needed as part of a warranty repair.
• Any car with an odometer that has been altered so that the actual mileage cannot be determined.
• Vehicles with total loss or salvage titles.
• Modifications not authorized by Porsche Cars N.A. or it’s authorized dealers.
• Service adjustments (such as idle speed, air/fuel mixture, brake, clutch, headlight, and drive belts)
• Improper repairs by someone other than Porsche Cars N.A. or it’s authorized dealers.
• Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use or other events beyond the control of Porsche Cars N.A.
• Components and/or parts that failed during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) will not be covered by the CPO limited warranty.

So, it depends on the mode of failure and whether it is considered normal wear and tear.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:04 PM
ufischer
Instructor

So, I guess the question that begs is whether paint peeling in the interior of my 4 year old, $125K p-car, is "normal wear and tear" or "a defect in material or workmanship." Why would it ever be normal for the paint to peel in this level of vehicle during the warranty period? But I am sure I am preaching to the choir.

This would not be such an issue if replacement interior trim pieces were not so exhorbitantly expensive. The PDK shift trim is $479 and the ashtray is $189. For poorly painted plastic! Heck, the full leather PDK trim from suncoast is $487, why so much for plastic?
Old 08-21-2013, 03:30 PM
G356
Advanced

Porsche is parsing words here...same level...does not necessarily mean exact same coverage as your original warranty. CPO has always been a tier below the original manufacturer's warranty.

Our Mercedes dealer to us when we bought our E Class that the CPO warranty was just as good as the original. When we bought the car in for warranty service, there were a couple of wear items that the dealer wouldn't cover which our Costco warranty covered.

By the way, the early peeling is a defect and not normal wear and tear.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:36 PM
G356
Advanced

CPO might not cover the peeling under "or deterioration" language. Best thing to do is call PCNA
Old 08-21-2013, 04:07 PM
ufischer
Instructor

I believe the "deterioration" is qualified by "normal", as in "normal deterioration." I can't imagine PCNA would take the position it is normal for the interior to be peeling in a 4 year old car.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:33 PM
G356
Advanced

I have a 2010 C2S and had to demand that the dealer replace the entire console b/c of the premature peeling. The dealer offered to "paint it" ...I said hell no. They eventually replaced it. This was under the original manufacturer's warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CPO Warranty Claims?