Sponsored by:

$595 for a Detail

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 04:59 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by francars
Here in Northern Cali a 'good' detailing just like Gruson mentioned that will get rid of 90-95% of blemishes on a car will be in the price range or more! I got quoted $1200-1500 for a 2 step on my G wagen!!!! I passed of course.
I'm in SF, I paid $475 for exterior and interior (Ca Detailing) - looks as good or better than new!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:29 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree with most here.

Moe from Glistening Perfection is a regular poster over at the detailing forum on Rennist, as well as many other detailing forums. They are top notch.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:35 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
I disagree with most here.

Moe from Glistening Perfection is a regular poster over at the detailing forum on Rennist, as well as many other detailing forums. They are top notch.
+2. I have used Moe for over six years on both of my P cars. Nobody can touch his attention to detail and overall quality of the finished product. His cars routinely win at concours events. You get what you pay for. It is more of a question of what quality you are looking for as opposed to if he is worth it....and he is....GR

Last edited by GR997S; 07-30-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:28 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I think $600 is not bad depending on what your paint looks like. If I had significant swirls and they were doing a full paint correction I would pay it, especially if they are highly regarded.

From there you can take care of it yourself.

My car had 3000 miles on it what I bought it so it was in good shape. I just did the Wash, Clay, and Zaino process. From here it will be easy, I can add as many coats as I want. I usually do 2-3 panels a week, hit is with the Spray Detail (Z6)and then a coat of Z2. It keeps the car maintained for at least a year, sometimes longer. Nothing sticks to it now, very easy to wipe things off.

Now I just have to do the wheels, they are a pain in the ***, especially with the Dust these brakes put out.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:59 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts
Lightbulb Gentleman....welcome to the asylum

Last year, we decided to take our company on a different path. We've always been a detailing company, but for some years, we were heavily involved in selling products. Looking back, it was great to help others detail their cars, but it took me away from my true passion, expressing myself in a way that only other enthusiasts can understand. It took almost a year to restructure our company and get back to our roots in a way never imagined. Along the way, I learned more about myslef and my clients in a way I could never express in words.

I learned that I'm a perfectionist and unfortunately, few can relate to what I strive for. We did make a documentary that has definitely helped our clients better grasp the ethos behind GP. I recently joke about our detailing studio being an insane asylum. I mean you've gotta be to bring your car here and appreciate my OCD madness. But then again, most our clients aren't average

I learned to not settle for doing jobs to just pay the bills. I'm too passionate about what I feel is an art form. We no longer call it "detailing"...we've elevated the art to a "renewal service". What is renewal service? It's giving your car a voice. She will decide how much time she needs to shed her cocoon and become a butterfly. ( I told you I'm a little nuts) No two cars ever go through the same exact renewal service.

It's doing a mondane task that few undersand, but in a manner that pays respect to the vehicle, to the owner, and to the artist/technician doing the work. Anyone that has ever detailed his/her own car will understand. It's a labor of love. It's not about slathering goop around to make your paint and tires shiny. It's a form of stress relief, form of expression, form of freeing your mind, and having pride in a job done right. Now imagine doing all that for a living. I'm blessed that after almost 20 years, I've created a company that is born of passion and love of the art. I'm also blessed to have a following of clients that seek out our services and see the value.

GP is not for everyone. Neither is a Porsche. GP has a life to itself, and those fortunate enough to be part of our family, fully understand the culture. So does a Porsche. GP is not the cheapest because price is not the primary objective. Same as your Porsche. GP was founded on a belief that every aspect of what is done to your vehicle is carried out with a purpose and a mission. So is a Porsche. I say this as a Porsche enthusiast, Porsche supporter on several levels, and a Porsche owner.

Here are a few examples of what you get for the various phases. I hope in the end, even if you are not a detail guy or would never dream of spending hundreds, or thousands, of $$ on a "detail", you at least appreciate the labor, love, and science that goes into doing what we consider play. And hopefuly, if all this makes you feel at home and you now see there's someone else just as madd as you, then I welcome you and your four-wheeled baby to stop by the loony bin

Phase 1:

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...nne-turbo.html

Phase 2:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...997-gt3rs.html

Phase 3:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...cabriolet.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...s-993-c4s.html
Old 07-27-2013, 07:06 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by yashagrawal
Since we are discussing detailing, could someone pl. comment if detailing can actually be harmful to the car ?. (I know nothing about the subject). I read in the porsche booklet that Porsche polish should be used sparingly...somehow implying to me that excessive use may wear out the paint ?.
What about waxing ?..I suppose that's good for the car. How often ?.

Furthermore the Porsche manual says that the underside has been coated with a protectant, have you ever asked Porsche to repaint it ?..
Great question. It all depends on what you do.

If the technique is spot on, and the products are average and above, your p-car will look amazing for longer than you own it.

However, give it to the wrong hands, and it'll only take one detail and not only will you be in tears, but you could potentially damage things that'll cost you many times the price of the service.

There are many grades of polish, many different types of cleaners, and many different techniques. In the end, you have to do your due diligence and align yourself with the right advice and technique. You're on a great forums and most here are well-versed in properly caring for their porsches.

Let me know if I can be of further help
Old 07-27-2013, 08:50 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I really wish there was a place like yours near me, I just do not trust anyone.

Great Work, I would pay your fee's all day long.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

However, give it to the wrong hands, and it'll only take one detail and not only will you be in tears, but you could potentially damage things that'll cost you many times the price of the service.
To give a quick example of how ya can screw things up in a hurry...

A couple days ago I was giving may car a detail. Suddenly I noticed some horrible scratchy swirls on the hood. I couldn't figure out where they came from at first, then saw that my new extra-plush microfiber towels had little "Made in China" tags sewn onto them. The tags were made out of some sort of nylon-like material that caused the scratches. !%&$@.

Fortunately, an hour or two of buffing and repolishing, and it looks perfect again. I removed all the tags from the remaining towels.

Last edited by Cuda911; 07-27-2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-28-2013, 12:27 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Right after purchasing my car my son and I spent 14 hrs to remove the swirls from the p-dealer/prior owner. I always enjoy these father/son projects but there were moments when I would have gladly paid someone $600 to address the color correction.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:28 AM
naute
Advanced

Great video Moe, love the passion you put into the work! Keep it up. Any one you would recommend in Sydney Australia?
Old 07-28-2013, 02:02 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gruson
I paid $550 for a complete paint correction. No more swirls for me.

It was worth every penny because it looks better than new now. Only I am washing it from now on too, just to make sure it stays this way...
I want to do that, i've got some swirls from letting a dealership put it through the automatic wash once. What did the paint correction entail exactly?
Old 07-28-2013, 02:08 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 259 Posts

Wow, I wished that you had a place in Miami!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

It can get crazy. We have a best in class detailing shop up here and saw first hand a detail on a black 911 that was outstanding. Complete inside and outside detail with dozens of hours on the paint. When it was finished it looked better than showroom. $3500.00 for the detail as it took close to 40 hours and this shop again very high end, best products with special clean rooms is unbelievable.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow! I don't blame the detailer. We are the folks who routinely pay 3 to 4 hundred bucks for an oil change.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

For those questioning the price, I have been paid much more than that to perform corrective services and concours level work which is what GP is offering here. $600 is a very fair price when you take into consideration that he is a working professional and at the top when it comes to skills and products used.

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Note that this doesn't always apply as there are some bad apples in the industry that are hacks.

To look at it another way, if you pay $150 to have the local car wash do this work and they have a kid working for them that hacks up your car you have just turned an inexpensive detail into a new paint job.

A $150 detail is fine for a daily driver you really don't care too much about but if it's your pride and joy is it worth the risk?

Quick Reply: $595 for a Detail