Best way to sell a 997

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 AM
gregikh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to sell a 997

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice. I bought a 2008 997 cab earlier this year and now I caught the bug and want to upgrade to a 991. I drove one while getting my car serviced and fell in love with it. I don’t want a new 991, perhaps a gently used one with some depreciation baked in already. I might wait till the winter to buy one. I live in Brooklyn, NY and the 991 seems more suited for the roads here as it’s more a GT cruiser rather than a pure sports car.
My question is what’s the best way to sell my car? Is it eBay or any of the other websites that specialize in cars? I know craigslist is generally full of scammers.
My car is a 2008 997 cab, triple black, auto, nav, bose, turbo wheels, xenon, power heated seats with 12.5k miles, orig msrp 99k. It’s in pristine condition, spotless carfax with all maintenance up-to-date. The only flaw is the passenger door was either repainted or over-sprayed somehow. The dealer that did the PPI told me there was absolutely no damage to the door so not sure why there was some paint spray overrun. I also bought the Costco 3yr warranty which can be transferred.
What do you think is a fair asking price for a car like this and how do I go about selling it? Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2013, 10:49 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Why not just trade it in towards the 991 this winter? (The Costco 3yr warranty, or just preferring not to buy from a dealer?)

Is the 991 truly that much better than your 997? You just bought the car. If you can't enjoy a car because there's a better one out there, you may have a problem. ;^)
Old 07-13-2013, 10:57 AM
2005997carrera2
Instructor

Originally Posted by gregikh
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice. I bought a 2008 997 cab earlier this year and now I caught the bug and want to upgrade to a 991. I drove one while getting my car serviced and fell in love with it. I don’t want a new 991, perhaps a gently used one with some depreciation baked in already. I might wait till the winter to buy one. I live in Brooklyn, NY and the 991 seems more suited for the roads here as it’s more a GT cruiser rather than a pure sports car.
My question is what’s the best way to sell my car? Is it eBay or any of the other websites that specialize in cars? I know craigslist is generally full of scammers.
My car is a 2008 997 cab, triple black, auto, nav, bose, turbo wheels, xenon, power heated seats with 12.5k miles, orig msrp 99k. It’s in pristine condition, spotless carfax with all maintenance up-to-date. The only flaw is the passenger door was either repainted or over-sprayed somehow. The dealer that did the PPI told me there was absolutely no damage to the door so not sure why there was some paint spray overrun. I also bought the Costco 3yr warranty which can be transferred.
What do you think is a fair asking price for a car like this and how do I go about selling it? Thanks.
If getting a 991 makes you happy do it. I would post your 997 on rennlist and pca classifieds. Good luck with the sale.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I recently sold a Shelby GT500 private sale. I put it on Craigslist and I had a buyer in about 7 minutes.

I also had it on Autotrader for 2 months and nothing but brokers trying to sell it for me.

Ebay - lots of people who enjoy pretending to be in the market, bidding on the car, talk to you on the phone about the car, but not actually having any money or in one case "the wife's permission" but I guess it's neat to pretend.

So in short - Craigslist - especially in NY i'll bet you sell it in a week or less.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:29 AM
gregikh
Intermediate

hf1, I bought the car from an Audi dealer. They offered me the Fidelity warranty, which is the warranty that Porsche uses for both used and new cars. When I looked at the Costco and Fidelity warranties side by side, I preferred the Costco warranty instead. Costco was actually slightly more expensive.

Trading in my car to a dealer is probably not the most economical solution as they will probably rip me off. I prefer not to buy from dealers because the ones I dealt with are scam artists. I can't tell you how many cars I looked at that were labeled as CPO, needed breaks, tires, maintenance was not done, had tears in the ragtop. The PPI revealed this every time. I asked one dealer how he can label a car CPO when the tires and breaks were completely worn out and he told me that changing the tires and breaks would inflate the car price. The car was really overpriced to begin with I might add.
I think for my purposes, the 991 is better. You might prefer the 997 or something else all together. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting to upgrade even after a short period of time.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:30 AM
gregikh
Intermediate

thanks para82. I'll give it a shot
Old 07-13-2013, 01:28 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005997carrera2
If getting a 991 makes you happy do it. I would post your 997 on rennlist and pca classifieds. Good luck with the sale.
He can't post in the for sale forum here. Hasn't ponied up the $18, so my guess is he's not a PCA member either, since they have a membership fee, too.

The post is a poorly cloaked ad anyway, and is classless.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:14 PM
gregikh
Intermediate

PHX 911, I guess paying the $18 makes you classy? I just got back and saw this post and I was shocked at your comment. I have no issues paying the necessary fees and I have never tried to take advantage of anything or anyone in my life. Please keep your angry comments to yourself.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:12 AM
gregikh
Intermediate

Hey everyone,

I received several calls from several dealers offering me between 46k and 50k for my car. I don't think its a fair price for a nicely loaded 08 cab with 12.5k miles.

What struck me the most from my conversations with them was they all told me that I have no shot in selling the car to anyone but a dealer because most anyone that would want to buy my car would need financing.

Do you guys think this is true? If wholesale on my car is say 48k do I not have a shot at selling my car in the low 50s?

The entire process is very interesting because when I was shopping for a car, The dealers would lough at me when I offered anything under 55k for similar cars. I remember negotiating with one dealer for a 08 cab s with 20k miles. The sticker orig msrp was 103k. He would not budge off 63k.

Is there no private market for these cars without a dealer involvement? If this is the case, perhaps leasing makes a lot more since.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

There is a private market for these cars and there are many buyers out there that have plenty of $$$$ to spend or can get good bank financing. You were just getting dealer speak.

Not sure of value. This is convertible season and some might say that the selling season for convertibles starts to decline mid summer.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Email me your info. I may be interested. rtrocchia@comcast.net
Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 AM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

GLWS...should be fine around $50k-ish if it's very clean.
+1 on craigslist - i just found my C4S from there.
yes, there are scammers and they're obvious and easy to spot after 30 seconds.
PL
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm (almost) in the market for a cab so I've been keeping a casual eye on the market. A quick search on the Porsche site finds a certified 2008 like yours with 6,581 miles for 56,995. I'd start around there with a private sale and be prepared to drop to the lower 50's IMO. Don't give up on the dealers though sometimes they offer pretty good trade in prices if you buy a newer car there....
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

I have always had luck with Auto Trader and/or Cars.com. However, to combat the consignment people who call, I put right in the add that I will not deal with them, only parties looking to buy the car.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

My back of the envelope calc:

40-45% MSRP +20% mileage adjustment - 5k dealer trade in = $44.4k-50.6k

Dealer trade seems spot on to me. As for financing there are plenty of people out there who can either get financing or pay cash.

Edit: my calc was based on 103 MSRP, but still close.

Quick Reply: Best way to sell a 997