Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About To Pull Trigger on 2012 Turbo S...Few Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:55 PM
GatorMD97
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About To Pull Trigger on 2012 Turbo S...Few Questions???

I've narrowed my search down to these 2 cars:

Car 1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2dr-C...t_26421wt_1077
Car 2 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...ht_10465wt_990

Car 1 is close to me, well optioned, CPO'd, has 7K less miles but is 3K more expensive.
Car 2 is very well optioned with many more accents that are appealing to me, has aftermarket exhaust (Fabspeed) and is 3K cheaper even after shipping.

Long story short, I made an offer on Car 1 and was countered with only $2K off asking price. I made a final offer of $1K less plus ceramic window tint and they walked without even calling; just a text message. I'm not sure how a car salesman walks away from a buyer on a $136K deal over $1K and some window tint but they did. I guess they have a lot of action on the car but it really put a bad taste in my mouth the way it was handled. I then made an offer on Car 2 which was accepted pending a PPI. My questions are:

1. Car is near Chicago, should I have a Porsche dealer (which one?) do the PPI or Midwest Eurosport? I was thinking the dealer could take care of any found warranty items right then but then the aftermarket exhaust has me leaning towards the Tuner doing the PPI.

2. Does anybody have any experience with Midwest Motors Inc.?

3. How hard is black basalt metallic to maintain as a daily driver? I told myself I'd stay away from dark cars as a daily driver, but damn this car is sexy.

4. I really like the way the car is optioned but I'm not sure about the multifunction wheel and the lack of ventilated seats. Will I regret the steering wheel and are the ventilated seats in the Porsche any good (I live on the state line of FL and it gets really hot)? I have an Audi Q7 with ventilated seats and they don't do a very good job.

5. I've never been much of an extended warranty person and I have read lots of good and lots of bad about CPOs. That is really the only difference with the 2 cars as my research says a CPO on a 2012 Turbo S is about $2800. The inservice date of Car 2 is 6/1/12 so I am getting a full 3 years out of the non-CPO car. The inservice on the CPO car is 10/31/11. I'll never see 50K miles in 4.5 years so the CPO is really only giving me 1 year and 5 months of extra warranty time the way I read it. Can anyone give me an idea of what a fair price is on these 2 cars?

6. How prone to scratching and chipping are interior components that are painted to match the exterior?

7. What are the chances I run into problems with the aftermarket exhaust should I encounter any warranty related items? The car will be serviced at Capital Eurocars in Tallahassee FL if anybody has any experience with these guys.

Thanks!

Austin
Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 AM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. I prefer Car 2. I have Basalt black, it is a stunning color with metallic but difficult to keep it clean.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:06 AM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Midwest Motors is 4 miles from my home.

Almost bought a car from them earlier his year but couldn't quite get the deal done.

That said, I really like the guys there and would go back to them in a heartbeat if they had a car I was interested in.

The owner is a real car guy and has a passion for cars.

I can't same the same about Motorwerks, or the Porsche Exchange where the sales guys have no interest in the cars they are selling and provide a poor customer experience.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of points. I've had 7 black Porsches and it is a PIA to maintain but it is all I will buy. Garage queens to DD. My current 05 is my only car, 12-15K miles/yr. I'm in FL and the nose is blasted to hell by the road shrapnel we have down here (as you know). I wash it and maintain to a maximum degree. I paid $4K for an aftermarket warranty that is close to CPO coverage. Ive CPO'd a few cars and I think that $2800 sounds close (I hear $2500 frequently) I'm one of the people that can't really afford the $20K for an engine and am too undisciplined to squirrel away for big repairs, so I always want a warranty, either CPO or top shelf aftermarket. From what I hear here on the forum the CPO sounds good, it certainly has saved me many thousands over the years.
BTW, don't let $1000 kill a $135K deal on your part either, if you like it (at that price point the $1K is meaningless!!) get it. One more thing, I have a 2012 Lexus, ventilated seats and they're not effective in Florida heat, at least for me. I have no experience with the Porsche seats.
Good luck with your search. Lots of cars out there.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Reeves is my local dealer. They are very good but probably passed on you because they will not have to discount that car as much as you want and throw in free tint. Also the tint and clear bra guy they use is probably THE BEST in the business and not the cheapest place around.

Both car are nice but those yellow gauges on the basalt black would drive my eyes crazy and are hard to read.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:27 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think number 2 is the one. I have ventilated seats on my cab and they are just ok, wouldnt be a deal breaker nor would I miss them if they were not on my next car. I have the multi funciton wheel as well, and I like it. It is not as clean and sleek as the non mf wheel, but semi useful. So I like number 2. None of the issues mentioned would be regretful on my part if I were to buy them myself.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:20 PM
GatorMD97
Intermediate

Originally Posted by McCulla
A couple of points. I've had 7 black Porsches and it is a PIA to maintain but it is all I will buy. Garage queens to DD. My current 05 is my only car, 12-15K miles/yr. I'm in FL and the nose is blasted to hell by the road shrapnel we have down here (as you know). I wash it and maintain to a maximum degree. I paid $4K for an aftermarket warranty that is close to CPO coverage. Ive CPO'd a few cars and I think that $2800 sounds close (I hear $2500 frequently) I'm one of the people that can't really afford the $20K for an engine and am too undisciplined to squirrel away for big repairs, so I always want a warranty, either CPO or top shelf aftermarket. From what I hear here on the forum the CPO sounds good, it certainly has saved me many thousands over the years.
BTW, don't let $1000 kill a $135K deal on your part either, if you like it (at that price point the $1K is meaningless!!) get it. One more thing, I have a 2012 Lexus, ventilated seats and they're not effective in Florida heat, at least for me. I have no experience with the Porsche seats.
Good luck with your search. Lots of cars out there.
PM sent, I'd like some more info on your aftermarket warranty company and your experience. It's not the $1K that pissed me off, it was the way the deal was handled. They just seemed to have little interest in me as a customer, maybe he thought I was a tire kicker but I'm ready to buy and have the means. Their loss, there are just too many dealerships and cars out there for me to deal with a car salesman that doesn't want to earn my business.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 PM
SnP
Racer

If you would find it useful I could stop in and do a cursory look at car #2 today and take a look for rock chips, signs of wear etc.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:43 PM
2005997carrera2
Instructor

I would go with car #2, but I would have to install the sport design steering wheel with paddles.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:58 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 588 Posts

Car 2 is hawt, that'd be my pick. Do a PPI, figure out a fair price and go for it . Black is a PIA but looks awesome. The yellow accents are kinda cool.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Isaacbecker
Intermediate

70k seems like an exceptional deal to me and car #2 looks pretty sweet. I just bought a '11 C4S with 8k miles for 85k and thought I got a deal. Maybe I should've shopped around longer.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

70k seems like an exceptional deal to me and car #2 looks pretty sweet. I just bought a '11 C4S with 8k miles for 85k and thought I got a deal. Maybe I should've shopped around longer.
I would take the 70 k deal, however I think they are in the 130 range and not 70.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 PM
GatorMD97
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for their input. Unfortunately the deal fell apart. Apparently the "new part time" salesman made a verbal offer the dealership couldn't honor. The car was $135K and some change but the PPI and trade didn't work out. I'm on the hunt again, hopefully a bunch of '12s and '13s will hit the market once the 991s come out.

Thanks again and if anyone comes across a nice '12 or '13 Turbo S in the Southeast let me know.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:17 AM
SnP
Racer

There's always another car.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:33 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Isaacbecker
Yes - that would be for a 2012 Turbo S. Try $130K or so and you may be closer to market.

Quick Reply: About To Pull Trigger on 2012 Turbo S...Few Questions???