Sponsored by:

Hide-a key locations??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Alsea
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hide-a key locations??

I have a “new-to-me” ‘07 Carerra and am looking for a good location for the spare plastic “emergency” key, either in a hide-a-key box or with zip ties. Any suggestions?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Rocco07
Racer

"Zip tie? Where are you going to hide the wire cutters?
Seriously, I can think of front suspension, behind wheel, as a possible location. But again, how accessible will it be if you can't turn the wheel or get under the car. If you could get a hand in the front radiator openings, maybe in there somewhere. Maybe use some silicone to adhere it to a wall or tuck it behind wheel well lining somewhere.
Brainstorming.
B.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Plastic key = wallet key
Old 07-08-2013, 04:50 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey, I didn't get one of those plastic keys!
Old 07-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I did
Old 07-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Your mom's house. If she lives nearby, that is.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Car thieves love the hidden spare key. Saves them time and trouble. Be sure you have your home address inputted for "home" in your NAV unit so the thief can drive over to your house and ransack it while you are calling the police to report a stolen car. (Oh, this reminds me: I am not a lawyer but IIRC in some states if a driver has a key the car may not be considered stolen. The idea is having a key is a sign of having permission to drive the car.)

I carry a spare key -- valet key -- on a key ring (just two keys: Boxster valet key; Turbo valet key) in my right front pocket with the left front pocket reserved for the real car key.

Also, I make it a habit (with an exception covered below) of never leaving car keys (or house keys) in the car.

When I have one of my cars serviced the SM either parks the car outside and locks the key in it or he drives it to my house and locks the key in it. But I have my valet key and a spare 2nd key for both cars at home, put away.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Car thieves love the hidden spare key. Saves them time and trouble. Be sure you have your home address inputted for "home" in your NAV unit so the thief can drive over to your house and ransack it while you are calling the police to report a stolen car. (Oh, this reminds me: I am not a lawyer but IIRC in some states if a driver has a key the car may not be considered stolen. The idea is having a key is a sign of having permission to drive the car.)

I carry a spare key -- valet key -- on a key ring (just two keys: Boxster valet key; Turbo valet key) in my right front pocket with the left front pocket reserved for the real car key.

Also, I make it a habit (with an exception covered below) of never leaving car keys (or house keys) in the car.

When I have one of my cars serviced the SM either parks the car outside and locks the key in it or he drives it to my house and locks the key in it. But I have my valet key and a spare 2nd key for both cars at home, put away.
Wow - sounds pretty complicated! Where do you get your car serviced that the SM will deliver it to your house? I may have to start going there.

I've always hidden a spare key under my daily drivers and my off-road vehicles, saved my butt more than once when I was out in the boonies and lost or locked keys in vehicle. Never had a car stolen either.

Take a few minutes to poke around under the vehicle and find a suitable location. As was mentioned be sure it's accessible without jacking or moving the wheels. I used multiple wraps of friction tape to hold the key in place, I've never trusted those magnetic thingies. You should check it every year or two and re-tape if needed.

As Rocco07 mentioned, don't secure it so well that you'll need tools to get it off. I almost made that mistake once - used safety wire and wired the key to the frame rail (4x4 truck) with multiple wraps of wire. Got to thinking that I probably wouldn't have a wire cutter with me if I needed the key, LOL!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 PM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Tape it to the backside of your rear license plate
Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 PM
darthhowie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the answer is posted on an internet forum, how secure can it be?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Alsea
AutoX

So a potential 911 thief will be cruising around, laptop in hand, checking out potential targets that might have a hide-a-key based on this forum? Really??
Old 07-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I used to keep mine attached to my cell phone.

Quick Reply: Hide-a key locations??