Sponsored by:

Are you afraid of vandalism

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 04:35 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are you afraid of vandalism

Was curious, about those who use the car as a daily driver. Do you encounter instances of vandalism, eg scratching of the car with a key etc. Is it even advisable to park in unmonitored public spaces. I am planning to keep an extra beater car, for those instances where I am not sure of the safety of my car.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Totally paranoid. So far unfounded but I always try and park with a cleaning of sight. I guess I'm less worried about intentional vandalism as I am just carelessness. I see so many people who just can't appreciate anything of their own let alone someone else.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:38 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't concerned about vandalism until I got keyed. I figured, I live in Houston, nicer/expensive cars are all over the place here. But now I am concerned. Just not sure what to do about it. Can't watch the car all the time and can't let it control my life. Plus, I don't have room in my garage for a beater and bought my car with the intent that it was and would remain my only car.

Even after being keyed, my greater concern is door dings so I try to park in a way to minimize that possibility as much as possible.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:35 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Always concerned. This world is getting more crazy everyday. I try to be driving my car anytime it is out of my garage.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

+1... and road rage. I use a blackbox camera which captures video, gps, speed, etc of the car while moving and my new unit has a video park mode as well. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-at-70mph.html
Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Mudcat
Rennlist Member

I use mine as a daily driver. Careful where I park but life is too short to be worried. Enjoy every moment. As my fellow Porsche neighbor says, "Every time you start it up, there will be a smile on your face." Do it as often as you can!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:07 PM
switch911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Perpetually paranoid. Always park furthest spots away from other cars. Never leave it anywhere for more than an hour or so (other than my driveway or covered parking at work). Never park in a possible door ding situation.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:52 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

I never let valet drivers park my car. My excuse " the clutch is bad". I'll park the car and give them a tip.

Vandalism is something difficult to control. There is no way I can constantly watch the car in public... I just hope for the best and take the time to appreciate it.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:57 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

I am now after experiencing all sort of bs in San Francisco and the surrounding burbs. It's usually not from someone intentionally doing harm like the two times my windows were smashed out to break in my car. It's the old guy ramming your new Cayenne's bumper in the parking lot, the kid jumping out their suv and ramming the big door into your new Cayman, or valet driver crushing your fender. It's the random dings and scratches you notice one day when you take a close look at your car. It's that missing silver colored tire valve cap you realize only your dealer sells for $20 per set. It's finding your front bumper and fenders rubbed up against through the paint in the middle of the day. Buying used cars has helped take the pain away. Also having a beater or car you just don't care about is a luxury in itself.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:07 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

No, I am not concerned about vandalism. I can't control what others do and can't watch my car 24/7. I park carefully to attempt to avoid door dings. That's about it.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:12 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by malexgcab
I never let valet drivers park my car. My excuse " the clutch is bad". I'll park the car and give them a tip.

Vandalism is something difficult to control. There is no way I can constantly watch the car in public... I just hope for the best and take the time to appreciate it.
Just about every time I take a Porsche to a restaurant, there is a valet. To get over this fear you mention above, you simply tip the valet $10 - $20 to put it in the front. Some places I go to are so in tune to this, that they automatically offer a $20 space to high end cars, in a specially designated parking area, facing the door. Car keeps great company there and looks like a reuniting of the Axis powers, minus Japan in most cases. LOL
Old 07-06-2013, 10:23 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a rarely lock mine and i left the windows down last night.every day driver and i keep the harley in the garage not the po.when i owned corvettes it was a much different story, it was like i needed armed guards
Old 07-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Garaged or parked in a no ding zone or it doesn't get parked. Defensive driver too, no women in SUV's allowed within a 20m radius, if they are on a cellphone 50m radius.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Every time I park in a public place I find an Aventador to park next to. Never have any problem whatsoever.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:36 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
Every time I park in a public place I find an Aventador to park next to. Never have any problem whatsoever.
good idea

Quick Reply: Are you afraid of vandalism