Sponsored by:

Replacing battery--question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Replacing battery--question

Since the 997.2 is such a computer-intensive car, are there any special steps that need to be taken when replacing a battery?

If it's just a case of removing the old, installing the new and driving a few miles for the computer to reset then I will be doing this job this afternoon.

I just don't want to do (or not do) something and wind up having to take the car to the dealer to pay through the nose to have something re-set or re-calibrated.

Thanks in advance,
James
Old 06-13-2013, 11:54 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have asked a similar question here. I was told there was no special things to do. But expect the computer to give you codes but, as you mentioned after a drive they will go away. I do believe the "settings" are not power sensitive. I have heard tale that while removing battery accidentally unplugged or dislodged stuff (easliy fixed, but annoying trying to diagnose).
Old 06-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I know for sure that there is a procedure to follow after replacing battery in 997.1.
It is relatively basic and well outlined in shop manual and has to do with resetting alarm, power windows, etc.
Don't have it with me at the moment, will try and find it later unless others will chime in.
Marc? He is always a great source of info.
Cheers,
=LL=
Old 06-13-2013, 12:31 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

If you want to avoid all this there is a simple "kit" available from auto parts stores. It consists of a 9 volt battery and a little wire that connects the 9v battery to your cigarette lighter. I got one at Autozone for about $5. This prevents the electronics from going without power and nothing needs to be reset. Well worth the $5 investment.

Given that the above solution works, I would also expect that connecting a trickle charger, if you have one, would serve the same purpose.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:44 PM
DGrayling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use the 9 volt battery kit or trickle charger, I would cover the positive battery connector with tape so it does not touch ground while you are replacing the battery.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:16 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Since the 997.2 is such a computer-intensive car, are there any special steps that need to be taken when replacing a battery?

If it's just a case of removing the old, installing the new and driving a few miles for the computer to reset then I will be doing this job this afternoon.

I just don't want to do (or not do) something and wind up having to take the car to the dealer to pay through the nose to have something re-set or re-calibrated.

Thanks in advance,
James
Take out old, put in new - pretty straight forward. You'll get a PSM error on first start but that goes away after driving about 10 feet. You have to reset windows (procedure is in owner's manual - look in the index under "battery change"). I've done this multiple times - didn't even lose preset radio stations and the clock still had the correct time.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:23 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

You need nothing special.
Pretty much any appropriate sized battery will do.
The car draws no more than any other.
Just take out the old, put in the new. Be sure to hook up the vent tube.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

All great info, thanks guys.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It's easier than you think. I step into the bottom of my trunk so that I don't have to bend with all that weight in my hands. Drive it a few miles and all those things will reset themselves. Just watch your polarity!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

And be sure to immediately take her out of the garage and drive her fast-- really, really fast-- so as to remind her what is her purpose in this life!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:35 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

Like everone here says, Its very easy to do. Nothing special. After you replace the battery you will get the PSM error (drive the car about 10 Ft and it will go away) and you will have to reset the windows (open the window completely then close it completely and it is set)
Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
And be sure to immediately take her out of the garage and drive her fast-- really, really fast-- so as to remind her what is her purpose in this life!
Yes you MUST do this otherwise your car will think its a mini van
Old 06-13-2013, 06:48 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
Like everone here says, Its very easy to do. Nothing special. After you replace the battery you will get the PSM error (drive the car about 10 Ft and it will go away) and you will have to reset the windows (open the window completely then close it completely and it is set)
See post #6.

Also, here is the correct procedure for resetting the windows.:

Storing end position of the windows
1. Close the windows with the rocker switch once.
2. Press the rocker switch upwards again to store the end position of the windows in the control unit.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Buy the Audi OEM battery, half the price, exact same OEM and fit.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:58 PM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are aware that you need to leave ignition on engine not running when you disconnect battery otherwise the car alarm will sound as it has a battery back up and it will assume an attack is happening unless the ignition Is on. Also leave windows down or door ajar incase the door locks decide to lock when connecting new battery as you will still need to leave ignition on I think. I know this is the case with 996 I am sure would be the same for 997 but ask OPC I am sure they will divulge that info.

Quick Reply: Replacing battery--question