Sponsored by:

Finally drove 991. Shocked.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:19 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Finally drove 991. Shocked.

I've been waiting a long time to finally drive the 991. Primarily because I was worried that, after that test drive, the ride home in my C2S cab, and every other subsequent drive would suck. I can definitely afford one but my 06 C2S is in showroom condition and only has 21k miles, so I've been trying to avoid writing that 70k check out of impulse.

Based on what I've been reading about the car for the past year, I expected to come away with the impression that the 991 is clearly better than my car is every way, save for some steering feel.

Well today I drove a manual '13 C4S cabriolet and I wasn't completely blown away. It was faster than my car (by looking at the speedo) but didn't feel brutally fast. The transmission and clutch felt soft in comparison. The ride was more supple, but felt a bit disconnected from what was happening underneath the wheels. It was way more comfortable than my car. I loved the interior. It didn't have PSE but I still think it sounds way better than my car which has PSE.

Perhaps I need another drive, but I'm really surprised that it wasn't a clear winner for me. I really wanted it to be.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 584 Posts

That's interesting isn't it? We live in such a plush 'first world' that do we really want a sports car that is more comfortable than a 997? Do we really want a 'sound symposer' that pipes in the engine sounds instead of the raw analogue wail of a flat 6? Do we really want a more plush interior? I for one do not. I want simplicity, drama, rawness, an analog dose of noise and some road feel in the steering. As least for a sports car I do. Why not leave the niceties of the first world to the likes of Lexus and Mercedes or the Panamera? When I drive my 997 I want some adventure. Yes that's it! Some ADVENTURE t remind me that I am alive and there are challenges left to conquer besides that run to the office or picking up organic chia seeds at Whole Foods. Can someone please give me an 'AMEN'?
Old 05-26-2013, 11:33 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the writeup.

I have no doubt the numbers are better for the 991 but for me the differences have to justify a nearly triple $ amount for the car vs. what I own now. I have no doubt the 991 folks have a big grin on their faces, but the value just isn't there for me at the moment.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:53 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 471 Likes on 269 Posts

I don't like the looks at all so that's that! No choice for me!

Tom
Old 05-26-2013, 11:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Tales like this are good for me! I have to say that I really enjoy my 997.1S as it is and will wind up keeping it for a long time as my 'Carrera' of choice. We are thinking that a Panamera is next, to supplement the cabriolet.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:47 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2012 997S Cab got it in Nov 2011. Last Sept. I went to the Porsche driving school in Birmingham. There I drove 991's on the track.
I felt right as ease in the 991 and even though the cockpit was some what different it soon felt much like my car. When I came home and jumped back in my 997 I noticed
some subtle differences. The 991 felt smoother but also bigger. It probably was able to be faster on the track but not noticeable to me.
Be careful about what you read in the magazines because that is all hype. I saw no difference in the steering and found no flaw in the 991 electric steering.
I think the point is that Porsche evolves their cars. I'm not happy about the longer wheelbase of the 991 does it make it faster on the track yes does it make it better on the street, no maybe slightly worse not as nimble feeling. I am very happy with my 997 and as a last of a series so far it has been flawless. The only other cars I have owned. That have been this flawless new have been Toyota's.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:55 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

what "we" want is not what sells..

the 991 is becoming more "user friendly" and with that the purists will have to adapt or buy GT3's...

the 991 is a great car, but too much sound deadening.. and modern refinements... needs to be an S to sound good otherwise it pur's like a kitten.. they have made some great leaps (chassis is insane, too good to be honest... seating is better, back seats better, placement of this and that and technological avancements... all well and good.

the engine needs more power, and more grunt.. it's too ferrari with it's top end power instead of being fun all the way thru the rev's... nothing is more boring than a 991 from 2-5k rpm... not even my smart car is that bland and without soul.. you have to floor it and get into the rpm's to have any fun.

but highway driving.. whew... it surely IS a touring car.

Trending Topics

Old 05-27-2013, 03:30 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

Would any of you think different about a 7 spd no pdcc with X51-this is what I am looking at ordering.
Jim
Old 05-27-2013, 04:49 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

The only thing I see here is someone driving an AWD 911 and then not being able to put his finger on the fact that the sensation of a true RR 911 is missing.

The OP's expectations of the 911 was that it would be better in every way. Then he arguably goes onto describe it to be better in every way, less the "disconnection" in regards to driving feel.

I don't find it surprising that this being the 997 forum people will receive the message with a negative undertone, but everything he said was basically 991 > 997. I haven't driven the 991 but driving a 997 C4 vs a C2 will give you that exact same feeling of disconnect. Just pointing this out!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:16 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
The only thing I see here is someone driving an AWD 911 and then not being able to put his finger on the fact that the sensation of a true RR 911 is missing.

The OP's expectations of the 911 was that it would be better in every way. Then he arguably goes onto describe it to be better in every way, less the "disconnection" in regards to driving feel.

I don't find it surprising that this being the 997 forum people will receive the message with a negative undertone, but everything he said was basically 991 > 997. I haven't driven the 991 but driving a 997 C4 vs a C2 will give you that exact same feeling of disconnect. Just pointing this out!
from my other post, i had 2 997, went to 991, went back to 997...

the manual 991 is no longer a true manual imo, it's the pdk trans with a manual input (literally)... it has a fake feel to it... not mechanical but assisted.

if i did another 991.. i would order pdk (no point in the 7speed manual to me)... base model.. and enjoy it for what it is.... spending a dime over 90k you might as well go GT3 if you want a "sports car".. the extra 50hp is not worth the premium paid imo... i dont understand how anyone could drop 140k on a 991S, the TT is 160 and has many of the options standard.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:57 AM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a 991 GT3 or 991 Turbo and keep your current car. That's what I will do. I'm just waiting for a test drive on those. But I'm thinking of leaning more towards a used LP560/550 due to the cost of these newer cars.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 AM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 105 Posts

Another idea: the car had only 33 miles on it so is it possible that the new tires not properly 'broken in' contributed to the way the car felt?

Like I said, I'm finding it hard to believe that Porsche built a car that's so 'soft'. I'm going to have to schedule another drive in the next few weeks. For those of you think that I have a bias towards my car, I hope it's evident to you that I *really* want to like the 991
Old 05-27-2013, 11:21 AM
islandtrader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove a new 991s about a year ago and I had the same feeling. It felt more of a gt car almost like a bmw or mercedes. Sure it was faster than my current 997.1 s but I feel like it had no soul. My 911 feels like a sports car, this did not. I argued with the salesman about this for a while. Porsche needs to sell cars to the mass audience and they want to compete well. I am pretty sure the 991 will sell more than any other 911.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:54 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been searching for a 997.2 (leaning towards a C4S because of NorCal weather) to join my 911SC in the garage BUT I'm now re-evaluating my plan because I drove a couple of 991s and the new Cayman S on the track and IMHO, the Cayman S is the best of the lot.

The size of the vehicle is perfect, it went absolutely everywhere it was directed, power was always available, it felt like it had much more torque than the 991S, and since I have no need for rear seats and I like the hatchback, it may be the next vehicle for me.

That said, the rear end of the 991 (or 997) 4S is a sight to behold and I will struggle with this decision.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
That's interesting isn't it? We live in such a plush 'first world' that do we really want a sports car that is more comfortable than a 997? Do we really want a 'sound symposer' that pipes in the engine sounds instead of the raw analogue wail of a flat 6? Do we really want a more plush interior? I for one do not. I want simplicity, drama, rawness, an analog dose of noise and some road feel in the steering. As least for a sports car I do. Why not leave the niceties of the first world to the likes of Lexus and Mercedes or the Panamera? When I drive my 997 I want some adventure. Yes that's it! Some ADVENTURE t remind me that I am alive and there are challenges left to conquer besides that run to the office or picking up organic chia seeds at Whole Foods. Can someone please give me an 'AMEN'?
Generally agree, but it this all hold true, shouldn't we be driving a 911 from the seventies instead of a 997?

Quick Reply: Finally drove 991. Shocked.