Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R8 vs. 997

Old 05-20-2013, 09:59 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
Default R8 vs. 997

Now that I've owned the R8 for a couple months, thought I would come here to share my experience.

I had sold my 2007 911 Turbo to finance the R8 V10 Spyder.

Now, I know many people would suggest that you can't compare a 997 Turbo to a V10 as they are different price points, but I paid exactly $13k more for my new V10 Spyder than I did for my new 997 Turbo and it was six years later.

997 Turbo - $130k
R8 V10 Spyder - $143k

Performance: Surprisingly very similar. Of course the Turbo delivered the power differently than the naturally aspirated V10 but I feel in the seat, you get to the same place at approximately the same time. The sound of the V10 can't be ignored. For that alone, the V10 wins.
I haven't had the R8 on the track yet but I assume, just like the Turbo, it will drive like a street car on a track. Fast, fun but a little sloppy for HPD.
The only thing that really irks me about the performance of the R8 is driver assist. It seems to be more intrusive than than the Porsche system. I wish the R8 had different levels of nanny controls rather than just on and off.

Styling: R8 wins hands down. I live in LA and when I pull up to a light there is no less than 2-3 porsche 911's stacked up at every light. Between 996, 997, 991, and all the variations between them, they are as common, if not more than, than BMW 3 series.
I didn't realize when I bought the R8 that I was buying an exotic car. I assumed coming from a 911 Turbo at the same price point that I was stepping into another like car. I was wrong.
The R8 turns heads at every corner, light and parking lot. It wasn't my intention to buy such a statement but when I had the 911 Turbo, I used to get "nice car" and such from time to time... In the R8, I have people snapping photos of me every time I'm behind the wheel. Thumbs up at every light. I could tell you some interesting stories and I've only had the car a few months.

Value: I've been tracking R8 prices for a long while and it would seem based on Manheim, asking prices, dialogues with dealers, the R8 holds much better value than the 911.

Comfort: Honestly, the R8 is a more practical every day car. I never thought I would say that but it truly is. It doesn't scrape on every curb when you go in and out of gas stations. I did have that issue with the 997 (and my 993 as well.)
The electronics are similar. But the R8 is easier to drive without sacrificing the visceral feel you would expect from this type of street car.
The R8 while sharing a lot of parts, systems, etc. with the Lambo, is much more practical. It literally drives like a comfortable Audi sports sedan around town. But when you get it on, it comes to LIFE. It's just not a hard car to drive and doesn't sacrifice the fun factor as the expense of ease of use.
The only big downside is the lack of storage space. You think the 911 is tight, try taking out the rear seats and having no space between the drivers seat and firewall. I've found that I don't leave stuff in the car cause there's no room for junk but that just means the car is always cleaner.

I had the 997 Turbo for nearly 7 years and sold it with 12k miles on it. I've had the R8 Spyder for 2 months and have 2k miles already.

So, if you're in the market for a new car or have considered the R8, I can't say enough great things about it.
I heard someone once say, "The R8 is best 911 ever made." I have to admit, it's a great way to look at the R8 cause it seems true to this owner.

I still love my 911. I still own my 993 C2S that I've had since 2000. But the R8 truly is a fantastic alternative to the 911. I actually think it's a better car at near the same price.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are confusing head turning with envy.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:38 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the R8, that is a Great price on a Spyder!!!!!!! Interesting review, it is a lot more rare, in my area 911's are very rare also, I see maybe one a month or so. That white Spyder is Sharp, they do seem to hold value pretty well also, I think like most cars in that price range mileage will drop the price a lot. I would not care, drive it like it is meant to be driven.

Nice Ride!!!!!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Congrats on your new R8. It is much more exotic looking than a 911. That is a positive and a negative for me.. I do think about getting one from time to time. The spyder would be my choice hands down.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Truly you've been fortunate to own some magnificent vehicles. Love your new ride and love your old ride too.

Thanks for being honest with your remarks.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:53 PM
delman27
AutoX

Good write up and appreciate the perspective. However, it seems like you are comparing a 12/13 R8 vs a 911 turbo with 6 year old technology. The new 991 with current technology may be a better comparison. As for price, a new 996 turbo would have costed north of 120k 10 years ago but that doesn't make it a like for like comparison.

Nevertheless, enjoy the R8. They are stunning.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:01 PM
ufischer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't comment on most of what you say because I have never driven an R8. But Chris Harris agrees with you on performance and feel. And that is good enough for me.

As for styling I have to disagree. I am not sure what rarity or "head turning" has too do with the discussion, but for what it is worth, down here in south Florida, both 911s and R8s are very common and I wouldn't say either turns heads.

I just think the 911's design is timeless for a reason. It is gorgeous yet understated. Very clean lines. The R8 is too much "in your face". I have to say that in this model (all spyders?) they have taken out my least favorite design feature, that ugly carbon fiber panel behind the doors. Without that your car is absolutely beautiful. I just think I would eventually get tired of the spaceship look after a while.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by delman27
Good write up and appreciate the perspective. However, it seems like you are comparing a 12/13 R8 vs a 911 turbo with 6 year old technology. The new 991 with current technology may be a better comparison. As for price, a new 996 turbo would have costed north of 120k 10 years ago but that doesn't make it a like for like comparison.
I thought someone might suggest that but the 2012 R8 Spyder was the last R8 before the recent 2014 changes. There was no 2013.
In other words, the 2012 R8 is the same at the 2008 R8 which is the same generation as the 997.
Even the 2014 R8 redesign was only front lights, tail lights and R-Tronic trans to S-Stronic trans. My car is a 6MT. In other words, the car hasn't changed since it first made it's appearance around the same time as the 997.
The R8 is scheduled for a redesign release in 2015/2016. That would be the vehicle that would be papered against the 991.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:12 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by ufischer
I can't comment on most of what you say because I have never driven an R8. But Chris Harris agrees with you on performance and feel. And that is good enough for me.

As for styling I have to disagree. I am not sure what rarity or "head turning" has too do with the discussion, but for what it is worth, down here in south Florida, both 911s and R8s are very common and I wouldn't say either turns heads.

I just think the 911's design is timeless for a reason. It is gorgeous yet understated. Very clean lines. The R8 is too much "in your face". I have to say that in this model (all spyders?) they have taken out my least favorite design feature, that ugly carbon fiber panel behind the doors. Without that your car is absolutely beautiful. I just think I would eventually get tired of the spaceship look after a while.

Interesting.

I'd say that my comments about styling are probably less about how aesthetically pleasing the 911 or the R8 is but more about how they stand out against all the other traffic on the road.
The 911 design is fantastic. I'll always love it. That's why i owned two of them. But the small nuances that distinguish the 993 from the 996 to the 997 to the 991 and Turbo to the GT3 to the GT3RS to the GT2 to the Carrera, GTS, 4, 2s, etc. are only recognized by 911 aficionado's. There are just tons and tons and tons of 911's everywhere. The R8, in LA, I see maybe one or two a month, TOPS. 911's I see at every light.

I think the styling on the R8 is just more aggressive than the 911 but keeps it classy. It's not trying to be a Lambo.
And I can't say I disagree with you about the useless and expensive CF panels but I have a spyder and not a coupe which omits it. However, I do think the contrast on the coupe is an interesting look.

Maybe I will eventually get sick of the "space ship" look... But at the moment, I'm completely enamored with it.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:38 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the R8 Spyder. I thought they stickered for over $165,000?

My neighbor in FL also has a white one that looks gorgeous driving down the road on a sunny day.

I love my Porsche however, and plan to keep it for long term.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:54 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Although I love the styling of the Spyder, one of the bigger issues for a friend who has had both (along with about twenty new cars every year) was the reliability issues of the Audi. He had a fairly early R8 coupe. It was in the shop all the time--and much of the time it was awaiting parts from Germany. He also got tired of nose prints on his windows.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:46 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by beden1
I love the R8 Spyder. I thought they stickered for over $165,000?

My neighbor in FL also has a white one that looks gorgeous driving down the road on a sunny day.

I love my Porsche however, and plan to keep it for long term.
They are stickered over $165k. Mine was MSRP'd at $177k. But somehow, I was in the market at the exact right place at the exact right time.
Audi didn't make a 2013 for the R8 cause they were implementing the S-tronic on the auto's. At the very end of the R8 run, they made a big batch of Suzuka Grey's that were 2012 model year but delivered at the very end of 2012 and into the beginning of 2013.
For about a 2-3 week window, Audi of America was subsidizing loses with the dealerships to move inventory to make room for the 2014. I was following the market very closely and learned of a buyer (on a R8 forum) that got an insane deal. I took those numbers to every dealer who had a R8 V10 Spyder, manual transmission in the country and found one who was willing to match it.
- So, not only did I get some free factory upgrades like special paint and deviated stitching, I also got nearly $36k off MSRP and about $10k below dealer cost including trunk money. -- Right place, right time.

I'm not knocking the 911. Have loved it forever. I'm just so impressed with what Audi has done to this car especially considering it's the first generation.
It's a really impressive alternative to a Turbo or the V8 to the GTS, etc. especially considering the new Turbo is based at $150k.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:21 AM
s329
Racer

the r8 is dope. chris harris's reveiew really showed me how far the r8 platform has come esp with the roll out of the V10. BUT...given that this is Porsche territory, i love the 993 in your avatar more Enjoy in good health mate.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:36 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Although I love the styling of the Spyder, one of the bigger issues for a friend who has had both (along with about twenty new cars every year) was the reliability issues of the Audi. He had a fairly early R8 coupe. It was in the shop all the time--and much of the time it was awaiting parts from Germany. He also got tired of nose prints on his windows.
Interesting. I haven't really heard of any problems like that yet but it will be interesting to discover if it's still a problem.
One of the reasons I went Audi over the Gallardo was because of the reliability and serviceability. It's also classier in my eyes.
But I'll update this at some time if it's true.

I'm told the R8 is a bulletproof much like the 911 and it can take days on end at the track and will smile and keep on humming. Let's hope it's true.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi is UGly!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R8 vs. 997