Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R8 vs. 997

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the report! I'm sure you expected some hate here on a Porsche forum, but I'll try to apologize for my fellow Rennlisters who refuse to acknowledge that there might be an alternative sports car for some people.

I briefly considered an R8 before buying the 997, but I couldn't find a used one anywhere in my part of the country and my local dealer wasn't enthusiastic (i.e. "no") on a test drive on a new one. I didn't push them on it because I really didn't want to buy new and that wouldn't be right to deceive them into thinking that I would, just to put miles on their new car. The only way that most folks like me, who don't live in LA or Miami or Monte Carlo, are going to learn about these cars is from folks like you.

Please keep us posted as time goes by and you get more miles and hopefully more smiles with the Audi.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

always loved the front.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:34 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Might have just been the angle of that first photo; the R8 Spyder is a beautiful car. The R8 Spyder GT even moreso.

Might just be a regional thing, but Porsches of any kind are rare in my area. I average seeing maybe one Porsche of any flavor once or twice a week. Seen more Lamborghini Gallardos and V10 R8 Spyders in the wild than 997 Turbos, too (2 vs 1 vs 0).
Old 05-21-2013, 10:44 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Great looking car and nice writeup. I think your wrong on the R8 being more practical.

That said, can't imagine a better value proposition than the R8. Its a halo car for audi and I reckon they lose lots of money on the car. Serves the badge well.

Wonder how the 991 stacks up to the R8.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:47 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Very nice car! I don't think there're many gear heads that don't like the R8.
Thanks for posting your impressions between the 2. This is valuable for people that haven't driven one and are considering it in the future.
But,when it comes to a 911 I think it's more about the iconic shape and its massive history than any affection to the Porsche brand. I'm sorry but a 911 is a special car and the R8 will take some time to achieve that status...
Nevertheless I think you '' blew it '' when you've mentioned how much attention the R8 is getting... Personally, '' the attention factor '' means absolutely ZERO to me when buying a sports car! I do not care one bit what other people think or how they react. Otherwise I would've gone full blown Ferrari or Lamborghini...
For me it's all about the feel,the experience of driving,the fun factor and reliability.
Anyway,enjoy it in good health,it is a great looking car!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
Interesting. I haven't really heard of any problems like that yet but it will be interesting to discover if it's still a problem.
One of the reasons I went Audi over the Gallardo was because of the reliability and serviceability. It's also classier in my eyes.
But I'll update this at some time if it's true.

I'm told the R8 is a bulletproof much like the 911 and it can take days on end at the track and will smile and keep on humming. Let's hope it's true.
We also have a 2011 Audi S4, now with 24,850 miles, and it has been bullet proof. As I understand it, Audis had some problems that were fixed before the launch of their current generation designs.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
They are stickered over $165k. Mine was MSRP'd at $177k. But somehow, I was in the market at the exact right place at the exact right time.
Audi didn't make a 2013 for the R8 cause they were implementing the S-tronic on the auto's. At the very end of the R8 run, they made a big batch of Suzuka Grey's that were 2012 model year but delivered at the very end of 2012 and into the beginning of 2013.
For about a 2-3 week window, Audi of America was subsidizing loses with the dealerships to move inventory to make room for the 2014. I was following the market very closely and learned of a buyer (on a R8 forum) that got an insane deal. I took those numbers to every dealer who had a R8 V10 Spyder, manual transmission in the country and found one who was willing to match it.
- So, not only did I get some free factory upgrades like special paint and deviated stitching, I also got nearly $36k off MSRP and about $10k below dealer cost including trunk money. -- Right place, right time.

I'm not knocking the 911. Have loved it forever. I'm just so impressed with what Audi has done to this car especially considering it's the first generation.
It's a really impressive alternative to a Turbo or the V8 to the GTS, etc. especially considering the new Turbo is based at $150k.
You got a super great deal. Congrats!

I had our S4 in for service and to swap the winter set for the summer set of wheels/tires. An R8 pulled up next to me that was also in for service, and driven by a very good looking woman probably in her 40's. She was having her summer set of wheels/tires put on as well. Turns out, the R8 is her daily driver and she drives it all year round primarily in the WDC area.

She laughed when she saw me wince when she told me that, but said she loves driving the car so much that she doesn't want to drive anything else.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

More practical? Hmmm... Don't know if I agree with your police work there Norm (Fargo).

Yes - nice car for sure but what are you doing over here in a Porsche 997 Forum? I think you're lonely! The Porsche community rocks, doesn't it? You'll be back in a soulful Mezger before you know it.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:17 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine and manual transmission in the R8 V10 are easily the equal of a GT3, except the controls are feather light in comparison. I thought it was the best thing about the car.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:00 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm a NSX guy having owned 3 in the past so for me the R8 is the modern NSX (supercar that can be used everyday). When I was fortunate enough to take the R8 for a blast along Dubai's "Police'-less" highways I leaped at it. Fell in love immediately with its handling and feel.

When I'm done my MBA and have increased earning potential the V8 R8 is definitely on my list of the "next car" to have. Used prices are reasonable so hopefully I can be in one soon.

Love the write-up and the R8 spyder. Enjoy!

Here's a few photos of when the R8 first appeared with my first NSX...CAR Magazine did a comparison of the new R8 and my NSX:

Old 05-21-2013, 01:27 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've loved the R8 since it was first released, and I still admire them when I see one on the road, particularly black coupes. The most important shortcoming, to me, is the lack of storage space, making it virtually impossible to take on nice long road trips, which are one of my favorite ways to enjoy my C2S cab.
Thanks for the detailed insights of owning an R8.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

R8 is definitely a better looking car, like you said, 911 looks like a 911 to most, regardless of the year. It was a nice read, thanks for the post.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:35 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

thought I read somewhere that it (V8) was very pedestrian???

beautiful car though, god knows I'd love to drive on - but I am a coupe guy
Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Still like this video caparison.
It's the V8 vs 997S but hey, still fun to watch

Last edited by wc11; 05-22-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:32 PM
JMA
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R8 is a real head-turner. I see twice as many Ferrari 430's as I do R8s. The last time I had my 997 in for service at Circle Porsche Long Beach (October 2011), an R8-10 pulled in to the dealership. Audi dealership is right next door (probably same owner). All the Porsche dealership employees ran out to ohh and ahh the car. I did, too. It looked and sounded awesome. This was a coupe (which I prefer to cab).

Too conspicuous for me as a DD, but I'd love to "try one on" for a few months to see how it fits. Currently, it is the car I am going to turn my head most often for....that is a compliment here in SoCal.

I remember you from way back on the 993 board with Todd Serota, Viken and Ray Calvo! You are a certified car nut! Congrats on an awesome car!

Quick Reply: R8 vs. 997