Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 bose subwoofer, has anyone removed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 01:18 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 997.2 bose subwoofer, has anyone removed?

I'm thinking about removing the subwoofer from the back of my 997.2 coupe. Why? Because I rarely listen to anything but NPR and podcasts, and it bugs me that there's a big brick of a mediocre subwoofer back there taking up space and adding weight.

So, anyone done this?
- Is resulting sound livable?
- How much does the sub weigh?
- Does it leave a nasty gaping hole, or is it finished?

Thanks,
Scott.

PS. I know the weight is trivial and I should just leave well enough alone. I'm a tinkerer. I can't help myself.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

this is how to remove ECU but first step is the subwoof:

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...2-and-gt3.html

i used it when removing mine in my .1 but i think the .2 should be the same.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:43 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
this is how to remove ECU but first step is the subwoof:

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...2-and-gt3.html

i used it when removing mine in my .1 but i think the .2 should be the same.
Thanks! Ballpark on how heavy the subwoofer is? Typically good subwoofers are heavy, but... I'm sure BOSE had weight targets to hit
Old 05-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

about 18lbs
Old 05-03-2013, 10:29 PM
stiles_s
Pro

about 18lbs
Wow, heavier than I thought. I'm going to rip the thing out for kicks.

If we're roughly 8lbs/hp in our cars, that's like adding 2hp, right?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Just pulled it out (10min) and weighed it. It's about 12.5lbs for the 997.2 coupe bose subwoofer.

Leaves some ugly brackets, but they appear to be removable. It also looks like the rear ECU cover is specific to the Subwoofer cars, so my guess is it'll be somewhat obvious that I had a sub back there.

Surprisingly, at least listening to it in the garage, the system retains a bunch of low-end punch from the door speakers. I don't think I'll miss the sub. We'll see.

So, better weight savings than a rear muffler x-pipe. I'll be curious if I notice a difference in engine/intake noise without the sub acting as sound insulation.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:51 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i never understood why people worry about weight savings when it's trivial.. enjoy the car and put the sub back.. 12lbs is the same as telling your girl to leave her purse at home.

if you want a light car, buy a lighter car.. if u wanna save 50lbs and tell someone you notice it.. then.. idk what to tell you.

when i had a 1300lb car, i packed the trunk with tons of goodies and tire plugs and jackets and gloves... because it made the car useful.. didn't mind the extra weight.. same way theirs a 3lb tire iron in my frunk now and a jacket in back seat and this and that around the car=comfort/useable.

the sub is light, blends in.. not a big deal imo.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:29 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Like I said at the beginning of the thread, I have a weakness when it comes to tinkering. Have a tough time leaving well enough alone. This Carrera is the first car I've ever had that is nearly impossible to improve upon in a practical/meaningful way (for me, that is).

Yeah, removing the sub is silly, but It's also fully reversible and harmless. So, chill. I'm taking out the glovebox and rear seats next. That's got to be another 20lbs. Kidding by the way, although now that I think about it...

PS. two 6" drivers in what appears to be a band-pass enclosure, that weighs 12lbs all-up, is pretty weak sauce for a sub. More like some low frequency "mud" to fill things out. I would have respected it more if it weighed more.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:29 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Like I said at the beginning of the thread, I have a weakness when it comes to tinkering. Have a tough time leaving well enough alone. This Carrera is the first car I've ever had that is nearly impossible to improve upon in a practical/meaningful way (for me, that is).

Yeah, removing the sub is silly, but It's also fully reversible and harmless. So, chill. I'm taking out the glovebox and rear seats next. That's got to be another 20lbs. Kidding by the way, although now that I think about it...

PS. two 6" drivers in what appears to be a band-pass enclosure, that weighs 12lbs all-up, is pretty weak sauce for a sub. More like some low frequency "mud" to fill things out. I would have respected it more if it weighed more.
rear seats is ok, glove box,.. not.

do a side muffler delete and that's 50lbs gone.. and sounds much better.. DFI engine has such restrictive cats that it's not loud at all without them.

i just have a pet peeve, esp coming from lotus forum.. people change bolts to titanium to lose a few ounces... when they have a 30lb heavier battery in their trunk... theirs a huge database of "cost per ounce" of weight removal and hilarious what people do for ounces... remove breather tubes for gas tank (gas then evaporates from engine). or remove AC and other stuff...
Old 05-04-2013, 08:30 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 344 Posts

i just have a pet peeve, esp coming from lotus forum.. people change bolts to titanium to lose a few ounces... when they have a 30lb heavier battery in their trunk... theirs a huge database of "cost per ounce" of weight removal and hilarious what people do for ounces... remove breather tubes for gas tank (gas then evaporates from engine). or remove AC and other stuff...[/QUOTE]

And I am sure many of those could loose more weight by loosing weight (theirs)....
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shammerman
And I am sure many of those could loose more weight by loosing weight (theirs)....
that's the old adage: if you want to shed weight off of a car, the first place you look to do so is the nut behind the wheel. :-)
Old 05-07-2013, 11:45 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Sub's back in; thanks for the feedback & info.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

i might remove the sub too, along with the rear seats when i decide to install a roll bar. i want to get one that bolts on the shock mounts and you need the sub off in order to do that...

I had read somewhere that the Bose sub and seats are about 35 lbs in weight which is about the same for the roll bar...

We can remove a decent amount of weight from our cars, without messing up interior or looks... Between an x-pipe, sub, rear seats and seatbelts, smaller high performance battery we could potentially drop close to 100 lbs which can make a difference in terms of performance...

Add also a set of 18s, like the OZ Ultraleggeras with proper rubber for track or Autox and you are probably down another 18-25 lbs...

But yeah... the sub will go away when the time comes!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kouzman
i might remove the sub too, along with the rear seats when i decide to install a roll bar. i want to get one that bolts on the shock mounts and you need the sub off in order to do that...

I had read somewhere that the Bose sub and seats are about 35 lbs in weight which is about the same for the roll bar...

We can remove a decent amount of weight from our cars, without messing up interior or looks... Between an x-pipe, sub, rear seats and seatbelts, smaller high performance battery we could potentially drop close to 100 lbs which can make a difference in terms of performance...

Add also a set of 18s, like the OZ Ultraleggeras with proper rubber for track or Autox and you are probably down another 18-25 lbs...

But yeah... the sub will go away when the time comes!
been there, did that. i took out the front OEM seats, rear seats, woof, shelf carpeting...and installed GT2 seats, harnesses and DAS roll bar. i forgot to weigh the rear seats (still have them, but keep forgetting) but only gained 10lbs factoring in weights of all the other stuff. so given the approx weight of the rears, i prob shed a few lbs overall. FWIW, i am at 3500lbs with driver and 1/2 tank. it's still a pig.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:54 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

been there, did that. i took out the front OEM seats, rear seats, woof, shelf carpeting...and installed GT2 seats, harnesses and DAS roll bar. i forgot to weigh the rear seats (still have them, but keep forgetting) but only gained 10lbs factoring in weights of all the other stuff. so given the approx weight of the rears, i prob shed a few lbs overall. FWIW, i am at 3500lbs with driver and 1/2 tank. it's still a pig.
nice! I already have the GT2 seats (4S launch car) but even with these seats the car is a pig! i am 3665 lbs with driver and 1/2 tank (driver is 255-260 lbs).

The DAS roll bar is heavier than the RSS i think by about 5-7 lbs... Great unit nevertheless!

Quick Reply: 997.2 bose subwoofer, has anyone removed?