Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stingray or Viper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I was considering a new GT500 vs leftover Z06. Good deals out there right now on the Z06's. About 20%. In the end I opted for the Shelby at full sticker. I was blown away by how well it drove. tight, no squeaks or rattles, and needless to say, the motor and gearbox felt great. The vette,otoh, felt plasticky, despite the very pleasing motor and tranny.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
I know it shares the same body as a $22k car, but with 662hp the Shelby GT500 looks impressive for the money.
Watch the BBC top gear episode of Jeremy racing the other two (who are on a train) across France in a Shelby Mustang GT500. I think he gets it right.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:25 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
I was considering a new GT500 vs leftover Z06. Good deals out there right now on the Z06's. About 20%. In the end I opted for the Shelby at full sticker. I was blown away by how well it drove. tight, no squeaks or rattles, and needless to say, the motor and gearbox felt great. The vette,otoh, felt plasticky, despite the very pleasing motor and tranny.
Great choice. Would love to see some pics of your new Shelby.

That GT500 has awesome driving characteristics and so stable at higher speeds and forget about the regular Corvette, smoked so many of those in my 08 Shelby they looked like they were going in reverse!

BTW - good on you for getting it at sticker, A LOT of people of are paying 10K+ over sticker to get one which I think is ridicolous. I know I had to sort through over 19 dealerships before I found someone willing to accept my cash offer for the Boss because I wouldn't go over sticker either!

Last edited by Para82; 04-29-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Watch the BBC top gear episode of Jeremy racing the other two (who are on a train) across France in a Shelby Mustang GT500. I think he gets it right.

Haven't seen this yet. There is a good video floating around of a German car critic taking the new Shelby on the Autobahn to 200mph. He loved it.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Great choice. Would love to see some pics of your new Shelby.

That GT500 has awesome driving characteristics and so stable at higher speeds and forget about the regular Corvette, smoked so many of those in my 08 Shelby they looked like they were going in reverse!

BTW - good on you for getting it at sticker, A LOT of people of are paying 10K+ over sticker to get one which I think is ridicolous. I know I had to sort through over 19 dealerships before I found someone willing to accept my cash offer for the Boss because I wouldn't go over sticker either!
Thanks. I'll post pics when I get it later this week. White with red stripes, SVT/track pack, Recaros with red stripes.
As for MSRP, yeah, the dealer in Albuquerque was pretty cruddy about it. started at 20 over. I walked. They ran after me and offered to let me drive the car. I said sure. Drove really nice. I came up to full sticker. They came down to 10 over. I offered to pay 600 over, as I'd have to pay shipping if I bought out of state. They said the absolute best they could do was 4500 over. I went home and made some e-mail inquiries, and by the following morning I had about 5 dealers offering similar cars at MSRP. Ended up buying from a really nice guy named Eric at Southwest Ford near Fort Worth. I just don't understand the price gouging mentality.

Quick Reply: Stingray or Viper?