Sponsored by:

True market value of a 2005 C2S w/ salvage title

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Good point, but unfortunately, a recurring theme. However, you should cut Alex some slack. He is, after all, Canadian!
lol... well, to be honest, even the French Canadians have a better command of English than South Carolinians I've known! Maybe it's the Confederacy legacy
Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
lol... well, to be honest, even the French Canadians have a better command of English than South Carolinians I've known! Maybe it's the Confederacy legacy
Good comeback, Alex!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by iammulva
That may be true, but it's still a risk and one that the OP is taking instead of something more liquid and/or more easily valued (i.e. for which there exists a known market). Because of this risk, OP is justified in discounting what one might expect to be a "fair value" today because, if/when he ends up taking possession of the vehicle and wants to sell it he cannot be certain there will be a market.

Secondly, not sure how far in the future OP's chance of taking possession could be realized, but there is also a supply/demand factor. As time goes on, there may be more of these motors available as more new cars are purchased and current cars age. This may drive the price down.

When I watch Pawn Stars I see people trying to sell things to the owner for $X after an appraiser says it's worth $X. The owner usually tells them - you want $X for it? Open your own store.

While the motor likely does not have zero value, the OP assumes the risk of an uncertain market (e.g. potentially flooded market and/or potentially no buyers) and somewhat illiquid asset (i.e. not as easy to get rid of as plane tickets to Hawaii on Craigslist). Of course these risks may be small, but the bottom line is that the OP is the one assuming them.
Your point is very valid. I was purely commenting on the current value of the car. I was/am not advising how much equity the OP should have cleared in the asset. Based on the market wholesale valuation; it would be up to the OP to decide how much to value the car to ensure his investment is safe. Obviously as time goes on, and mileage increases - the value of this car will drop - but it is safe to say that as long as it is in good operating condition it will take 10 years before it is worth less than $10k, and that is on a wholesale level!
Old 04-26-2013, 03:28 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Good comeback, Alex!
LOL
Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

tell you what. a bare cup car tub is $12-$15k. 997.1 NB tub is cheaper.
M97 engine is $13-$15k. gearbox, well, depends, look it up. overall if I would be looking for a donor car to turn it into a cheap racer I would not pay more than $17l-$20k for any donor with salvaged title as essentially all content from that car will be ditched and a different ECU would be used probably.

I would not think to use a salvaged car for anything else other than a donor for a racer considering tub itself is in OK condition and did not get hit too much with a rust yet.

Quick Reply: True market value of a 2005 C2S w/ salvage title