Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reason NOT to get a CNA Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any reason NOT to get a CNA Warranty?

I've decided that I'll sleep better with an extended warranty for my 2006 911 cab, with 34,000 miles. I wanted the best exclusionary warranty available, and compared Costco's (Century Warranty Services), and the one offered by my Porsche dealer of choice (Porsche of the Mainline) which is actually CNA Auto Preferred Care.

As I mentioned, they're both top of the line exclusionary policies, and seem to cover all the important stuff. The things they don't cover, like the clutch, belts, brake pads/rotors, etc., no one seems to cover since they're truly wear and tear items. From the looks of it, their coverage seem to be pretty much the same.

The pluses of each are:

Costco (Century):
- I trust Costco and know they stand behind everything they sell
- 60 Day money back guarantee
- Completely transferrable, and cancelable with a prorated refund
- Can spread the payment out over 18 months with 0% interest

Porsche Dealer (CNA):
- Dealer has a good reputation, and I've had good experience with them
- Since the dealer is selling it, I would hope that they deal directly with CNA and resolve any potential issues or problems
- A "Disappearing Deductible" means that if I choose to do the work at this dealer, I won't have to pay any deductible. I always service my car there anyway, so this one is huge for me.

Prices:

Costco (Century): 4 years, 48,000 miles, $250 Deductible = $4674

Porsche Dealer (CNA): 4 years, 24,000 miles, Disappearing Deductible = $3751

I'm much more inclined to get the CNA warranty. I don't think I'll put more than 6,000 miles a year on the car; I won't have to pay a deductible; and it costs so much less to boot. The only thing is, I have to have the Porsche dealer do a preliminary check at my expense ($200) beforehand, which is kinda BS since they just did a complete check just a few weeks ago. There were no issues found.

So, does all this all sound OK? Any positive or negative experience with either Century or CNA would be very useful. Any other tips or suggestions would also be very much appreciated guys.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 PM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Have it with my Jag XKR and no issues or problems that I need it for. Its an 09', 38k miles, additional 3/30,000 miles with $200 deductible was $2200 for a reference. Hope that helps. If you're going to make 4 years that seems reasonable.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:38 PM
kdieter
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you don't anticipate more than 24K miles in 4 yrs, it seems like a no-brainer. The CNA is almost a grand less costly to start with, and each repair incident will save you $250 out of pocket.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM
G356
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also want to compare the contract language between the two. I am not familiar with CNA. Costco covers convertible top motor and mechanisms...everything except for the fabric. Not sure if its the same with CNA.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:19 PM
fastm3
Racer

Originally Posted by kdieter
Since you don't anticipate more than 24K miles in 4 yrs, it seems like a no-brainer. The CNA is almost a grand less costly to start with, and each repair incident will save you $250 out of pocket.
Right. I just want to make sure it's an apples to apples comparison. On paper, with my usage anyway, CNA seems to be the way to go. But if in the end CNA turns out to be stingy or problematic, then it would not have been a choice obviously.

Originally Posted by G356
You might also want to compare the contract language between the two. I am not familiar with CNA. Costco covers convertible top motor and mechanisms...everything except for the fabric. Not sure if its the same with CNA.
Good point, thanks for that. Another thing I have to check with the P-dealer.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Good luck with what after market insurance you decide on fastm3.

I'd prefer to pay to get the car checked out from head to toe, then finally decide.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 AM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Looking over my contract with CNA there are several different levels you can get. I bought the CNA platinum. Covers a lot beyond just powertrain like electronics. Bought it from an Aston Martin dealership and it is who they recommend. You should be able get a copy or look online at the list of exclusions. It is fully transferrable and prorated if you cancel.
If not, just call them and they should be able to fax or email it to you.
Also, given that is who your local Porsche dealership uses and recommends, it can make any claims go a lot smoother. Builds a good relationship with them to resolve any future issues that may arise. The Aston dealership gave me a brochure when I was looking at it that listed everything CNA offered along with exclusions. Basically with Platinum it excludes wear and tear like a factory warranty.
Lastly, when I was looking around at Jag dealerships, CNA is who they all offered as a 3rd party company, so I would think they are a good company to deal with.

Last edited by chakka; 04-24-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Consider adding the Fidelity Platinum exclusionary warranty to the mix. You can but it at almost any dealership, not necessary that it be a Porsche dealership. I bought one for my 4S from a Chevrolet dealership. 7 year 100K miles w/$100 deductible for $4,500. Fully transferable and if I decide to cancel, prorated return. Retail on this coverage was $7,200 as quoted by several dealerships including the local P-car dealerships.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM
fastm3
Racer

chakka, it's good to know that CNA is used at some high-line dealerships. I actually have my regular home/auto policy with them for many years, and have been very happy with their rates and service. The policy they quoted my is apparent their best exclusionary policy, so it might be the same as the one you mentioned.

cairo, I'll take a look at Fidelity too. I actually asked about it at both local Porsche dealerships that I talked to, and they didn't offer it. I will talk to other non-Porsche dealerships about it as well.

Thanks so much, guys.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is you'll spend $4k and never reap the benefits of the warranty because nothing will go wrong with the car. I put 68k miles on my last Porsche. Nothing but minor issues. I'd save your money.

That said ... I like to roll the dice (ie, play the favorable side of any probability)
Old 04-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Most of the time the insurance isn't ever needed. Thats why it exists.
It is priced so that they can pay out all of the claims that DO occur, AND make a profit for the insurer.

So you are betting on the fact of : am I in the small group that will have a claim exceeding $4000, or am I in the bigger group that will not have a claim worth $4,000.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:00 AM
mikemdd
Racer

Originally Posted by Minok
Most of the time the insurance isn't ever needed. Thats why it exists.
It is priced so that they can pay out all of the claims that DO occur, AND make a profit for the insurer.

So you are betting on the fact of : am I in the small group that will have a claim exceeding $4000, or am I in the bigger group that will not have a claim worth $4,000.
That is the best summary I have seen in all the "should I buy a warranty" posts. Well done.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:52 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 266 Likes on 181 Posts

Has anyone used an Allstate warranty?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:25 PM
KJR50
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Costco program is no longer available.

http://www.costcoauto.com/vpp/default.aspx
Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 PM
ropo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure whatever policy you obtain is an "exclusionary policy" meaning that it covers everything except what is specified as not covered. This is to be compared to an "inclusionary policy" which simply specifies those items that are covered. Never buy the latter product.

Also, should you get out of your car sooner than the warranty period, you are entitled to a refund of the insurance premium for the pro-rata unused portion of the policy.

Rob

Quick Reply: Any reason NOT to get a CNA Warranty?