Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Daily Driver!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've owned many Audis - 2x A3s, B7 S4, B7 RS4, now B8 S4. I've had exactly zero problems with them. I traded the Golf R in because I needed more room for my family, not to mention that the S4 is twice the car (and twice the price) of the Golf. The R is a great car for a single guy (or married with no kids). I highly recommend it.

My bodykit is actually just an OEM GT3 front lip on a stock 997.1. I've lowered it, added HREs, and an exhaust, but the body is stock. I do want to do a GT3 front/rear conversion and add a ducktail...
Old 04-26-2013, 03:08 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 463 Posts

Great car Chris. Look forward to seeing its custom order replacement soon! How long is the wait again? Maybe they'll surprise you with an RS4 Avant delivered by mistake no? LOL
Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

what is a best convenient/reliable SUV on the current market for a family with 2 kids? Need a lot of haul/cargo space for trips and still would be nice to have some drivability left in it. I usually buy 2-3 yr old post-lease ones, price range from to $40k may be, do not want to go higher. Fuel economy matters to some degree as we will use it for long trips. Ideas?

as I am without imagination so far I think about RX330 lexus with hybrid drive but it drives like a pig.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
what is a best convenient/reliable SUV on the current market for a family with 2 kids? Need a lot of haul/cargo space for trips and still would be nice to have some drivability left in it. I usually buy 2-3 yr old post-lease ones, price range from to $40k may be, do not want to go higher. Fuel economy matters to some degree as we will use it for long trips. Ideas?

as I am without imagination so far I think about RX330 lexus with hybrid drive but it drives like a pig.
I'd take an MDX given your requirements. Good deals on '13s, and you should be able to get the "base" unit (still well equipped) in the low $40s. Will drive circles around the RX. Solid and reliable, great AWD system.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws1
I'd take an MDX given your requirements. Good deals on '13s, and you should be able to get the "base" unit (still well equipped) in the low $40s. Will drive circles around the RX. Solid and reliable, great AWD system.
+1, on my second MDX and absolutely love it, sits up to 7 if you need the space, handles well for a big car. Extremely reliable, gas and go. I've been through a lot of SUV's.

Toyota RAV4
GMC Envoy
Nissan Rogue
Nissan Murano
Jeep Grand Cherokee
BMW X5
Old 04-26-2013, 12:39 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAA
My previous car was a 2010 B8 S4 and it was great. No question the fit and finish is top notch - it's a great daily driver. What turned me off was Audi flagging the cars at the service dept for any modifications (look up TD1 - plenty of interesting reading). I was an Audi customer for years and years until recently. Here in Northern Virginia at least, Audi is the new BMW.......
If Audi is the new BMW, what does that make BMW? The new Mercedes? LOL.
Even Lexus is going to pass BMW, with the great new GS350 S-Sport (better than the 5-series) and upcoming new IS350, which will likely be better than the 3-series.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice ride! The quality on the Audis is pretty amazing these days.

Last edited by svb; 04-26-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Beer Brewer
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Beautiful! I loved my B7 RS4 and had no problems over 88,000 miles. The exhaust note was sublime. I actually still miss that car everyday!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:02 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol

Suggest you start a separate thread for this, as I expect there may be interest in this subject (including me).
Old 04-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, no threadjacks...

Seriously, I considered the Cayenne GTS, but my Obamacare costs ($600 more per month) pretty much destroyed my budget. As for what's best, I guess it depends on your requirements. The absolute best car for what I want these days would be an RS6 Avant. Size, power, practicality... all of it.

Mike - Thanks man! The new one will be even better.

Rob - I placed the order for the 2014 last Saturday, and they quoted me three months (maybe sooner if I can steal one of their dealer allocations). Figure mid-summer. A midsummer night's dream, indeed. This is what the new color will look like (but with titanium pkg and 19s):

Old 04-29-2013, 12:14 AM
vprgrn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
[...] I traded the Golf R in because I needed more room for my family, not to mention that the S4 is twice the car (and twice the price) of the Golf. The R is a great car for a single guy (or married with no kids). I highly recommend it.[...]

Chris, thanks for this feedback re: the Golf R vs. the S4. Good food for thought - noted the S4 is twice the car - but being a single guy who could use the utility of a hatch, I may very well lean towards the R - and glad to hear you enjoyed yours. Enjoy your S4 - I'm sure you will!

Quick Reply: New Daily Driver!