Sponsored by:

10 Reasons the 2014 Cayman is better than 911

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:56 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I totally agree, I found the same at the dealer when they had two side-by-side, 991 is definitely more GT and targeted to buyers of Aston, Maserati, M3/M5, AMG, RS cars, etc... Even my sales guy said the same that many buyers have noticed the same and have mentioned their dislike of 991, while Cayman/Boxster are now a lot more attractive.

Also, the new pricing on 991, specially the options just make it ridiculously expensive, a medium optioned Carrera S now costs as GT3! Doesn't make any sense.

That's why you stick with the 997, it's not a GT cruiser and it's got *****.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I totally agree, I found the same at the dealer when they had two side-by-side, 991 is definitely more GT and targeted to buyers of Aston, Maserati, M3/M5, AMG, RS cars, etc... Even my sales guy said the same that many buyers have noticed the same and have mentioned their dislike of 991, while Cayman/Boxster are now a lot more attractive.

Also, the new pricing on 991, specially the options just make it ridiculously expensive, a medium optioned Carrera S now costs as GT3! Doesn't make any sense.
Concur the new car is very good...much better than the old Cayman/Boxster's which were not slouches either on the road nor the the track. Only think really keeping folks tied to the 911 IMHO is part tradition and part the fact that PCNA and Porsche AG won't put the comparable engines in the car (3.8) and tune it appropriately. If that happened I think you'd see more folks looking twice at a $115-130k for a 991 when $70-85k would get you a similar performing Boxster/Cayman for probably 90+% of most of us from a driver's potential and capabilities standpoint.

Just saying...especially if you've ever driven a 911 on a track or HPDE with Cayman/Boxster's. Properly driven outside of the straights and GT2's and GT3's and the like..those little cars can be beasts and tons of fun!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:08 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just read an interesting relevant comment in the "Ask The Expert" section of the July 2013 Issue of Evo Magazine.

A question was asked: "Which is the better buy, a new Porsche Cayman S or a used 997 GTS? I can't decide."

Evo Answer: "Choosing between the two you've mentioned is relatively easy because I'd go for the 911 GTS every time.

Think of the GTS as a more road-biased GT3 and you won't be far wrong. (although finding one at the price of a new Cayman could be tricky)

The 321bhp Cayman S still feels slightly "junior" to the 408bhp GTS. The Cayman's handling balance is better but the 911 GTS is even quicker. Besides, I'd miss the extra space the 911 cabin offers and I still prefer the looks of a "proper" 911, even though the Cayman S is handsome. I suspect the GTS will be sought-after for years to come, so depreciation should prove better, too."

Last edited by beden1; 07-11-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:24 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
I just read an interesting relevant comment in the "Ask The Expert" section of the July 2013 Issue of Evo Magazine.

A question was asked: "Which is the better buy, a new Porsche Cayman S or a used 997 GTS? I can't decide."

Evo Answer: "Choosing between the two you've mentioned is relatively easy because I'd go for the 911 GTS every time.

Think of the GTS as a more road-biased GT3 and you won't be far wrong. (although finding one at the price of a new Cayman could be tricky)

The 321bhp Cayman S still feels slightly "junior" to the 402bhp GTS. The Cayman's handling balance is better but the 911 GTS is even quicker. Besides, I'd miss the extra space the 911 cabin offers and I still prefer the looks of a "proper" 911, even though the Cayman S is handsome. I suspect the GTS will be sought-after for years to come, so depreciation should prove better, too."
Correction: The GTS hp is 408, otherwise I have no argument with what Evo states, Nice post,
Old 07-10-2013, 11:01 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the Carrera hadn't become a Grand Touring and were made in the spirit of the original 911 or even the 993/964/ this is what it would look like:

just add a duck tail...

"The following OE Porsche parts have also been installed, but were executed by BGB Motorsports, for this engine & chassis were never destined to be sold together:
- 2014 3.8L 991 Carrera S Engine (400hp / 325 lb/ft)
- 2014 991 Carrera S 6-Piston Front Brake Calipers (PCNA Green Caliper Paint FR&R)
- 2014 991 Carrera S 340mm Front Brake Discs & Brake Pads

The following aftermarket parts have also been installed for weight savings and handling:
- H&R Lowering Springs
- Forgeline 20" GA1R Fully Forged 1-Piece Monoblock Wheels
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires (245/30/20FR & 295/30/20R)

The car can be seen or test driven at Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota, Florida starting July 1st, 2013."

Old 07-10-2013, 11:37 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I haven't followed this entire thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned already, the most recent edition of Car and Driver Magazine tested the new Cayman S and gave it rave reviews in every respect. At the same time, they made a very compelling argument that it has evolved to what the 911 should be in size, performance, handling, brakes, and finally price. I talked to my dealer recently and without mentioning the article, he noted essentially the same thing indicating the 911 is still great car, but the Cayman is the "new 911" and sales of both models are evidence.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:05 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
If the Carrera hadn't become a Grand Touring and were made in the spirit of the original 911 or even the 993/964/ this is what it would look like:

just add a duck tail...

"The following OE Porsche parts have also been installed, but were executed by BGB Motorsports, for this engine & chassis were never destined to be sold together:
- 2014 3.8L 991 Carrera S Engine (400hp / 325 lb/ft)
- 2014 991 Carrera S 6-Piston Front Brake Calipers (PCNA Green Caliper Paint FR&R)
- 2014 991 Carrera S 340mm Front Brake Discs & Brake Pads

The following aftermarket parts have also been installed for weight savings and handling:
- H&R Lowering Springs
- Forgeline 20" GA1R Fully Forged 1-Piece Monoblock Wheels
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires (245/30/20FR & 295/30/20R)

The car can be seen or test driven at Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota, Florida starting July 1st, 2013."

Absolutely stunning.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:01 AM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by perfectlap

just add a duck tail...

I agree that Porsche really did a nice job with the new Cayman S and the Boxster S. I've now driven both and felt they were a lot of fun. But, for me personally, I would always be questioning my choice as to why I didn't get the GTS instead.

I also feel that the GTS will be a coveted car for many years. If not by others, then certainly by me. I absolutely love my car and am extremely happy with my purchase.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:05 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

BGB Motorsports has got my attention with what they did to it..
Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 AM
SecretAsianMan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no problem with a Cayman dethroning the 911, but if they're going to make the 911 a cruiser I wish they wouldn't castrate the Cayman and just give it the 3.8L already.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

BGB, Great looking job on the Cayman. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:14 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I could not use cayman as I use this C2 with 4 seats. I would not be able to use gt3 as I use C2 so I stay with C2.
for those who want a track only car I would agree - a BGB built croc with GTS 9a1 motor is a killer car.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:43 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SecretAsianMan
I have no problem with a Cayman dethroning the 911, but if they're going to make the 911 a cruiser I wish they wouldn't castrate the Cayman and just give it the 3.8L already.

Dethroning is a interesting word choice and an appropriate one.

Like a plush and primp'd Royal family, people get tired of seeing only the "chosen" get all the power. For whatever reason, bizarre really, Porsche decided to ignore its mid-engine racing history and become, as far as top shelf engine allocation, a one trick pony brand: Rear engine or bust.
Things like 3.8L's and Turbos in either mid or rear-engined Porsches could have easily coexisted since 1964. What sports car buyer doesn't like more comparable choices? Who wouldn't love a 918 Spyder with conventional 3.8L engine? The great irony is that Porsche AG's Carrera worship feared the financial implications of having a car other than the rear engine model become the best seller. Yet that's exactly what they became anyway (Pana/Cayenne)...
Old 07-13-2013, 01:19 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

There is one reason that was completely missed by Edmunds, but the most important of all. The Cayman S outperforms the 911 Carrera. Every road test of it so far has acceleration numbers better than the 991 Carrera. The big mistake was downsizing the engine in the base Carrera. Despite some effort to de-tune the performance of the 3.4l, since it still makes similar power and torque in all but the higher revs; there is too little performance gap to separate these cars. Given this, I think it is simply stupid to spend the extra money for a Carrera today. Sorry guys, but that is the honest truth.

The Cayman S isn't the bargain of the Porsche line though. That goes to Boxster S. Remember that convertibles cost more that couple to manufacturer. Power tops with additional structural bracing adds cost. Hence all the convertible versions of key sports cars like 911s, Corvettes, Ferraris, etc. cost more. Further, a typical convertible weighs 200lbs more than the coupe it was derived from and hence has lesser performance. The 986/987/981 chassis generations were all designed as convertibles from the start. A Cayman is simply putting a solid roof body on the same car. Since none of the convertible structural bracing goes away with the hardtop, hardtop weight is basically a wash with the convertible. The only performance variance is in what Porsche can do to de-tune the Boxster to try to keep it behind the Cayman. Reality is that Porsche suckered the world by convincing buyers to spend more on a car that is cheap to build, i.e. simply increasing Porsche profits. In fact, Porsche makes almost $5K more profit selling a Cayman than a Boxster. With 911 Cabs costing $12K more than coupes these days, a Boxster S with a same performance as a Carrera cab costing $34K (1/3) less is simply the best bargain out there. By comparison, a Cayman S is only about $20K (1/4) less than the price of a Carrera coupe.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:27 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

+1
Agree with 10 GT3. The Boxster S is the best bargain in the sports car universe, and it has been at least since the 987 model came out.

I never understood Porsche's fear about "dethroning" the 911 by the mid-engine platform. So what if 911 got "dethroned"? If that made you sell more and better cars, where exactly is the problem? There definitely is space for a 4 seater grand touring car in their line-up. People with families (kids) would still prefer that to a 2-seat roadster. So give them the 911, but why neuter the Boxster/Caymans?

Quick Reply: 10 Reasons the 2014 Cayman is better than 911