Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 11:19 AM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Absolutely stunning.
Originally Posted by perfectlap
If the Carrera hadn't become a Grand Touring and were made in the spirit of the original 911 or even the 993/964/ this is what it would look like:

just add a duck tail...

"The following OE Porsche parts have also been installed, but were executed by BGB Motorsports, for this engine & chassis were never destined to be sold together:
- 2014 3.8L 991 Carrera S Engine (400hp / 325 lb/ft)
- 2014 991 Carrera S 6-Piston Front Brake Calipers (PCNA Green Caliper Paint FR&R)
- 2014 991 Carrera S 340mm Front Brake Discs & Brake Pads

The following aftermarket parts have also been installed for weight savings and handling:
- H&R Lowering Springs
- Forgeline 20" GA1R Fully Forged 1-Piece Monoblock Wheels
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires (245/30/20FR & 295/30/20R)

The car can be seen or test driven at Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota, Florida starting July 1st, 2013."

And for what they have in this Cayman, I could have a 997TT with AWD, a mild flash and 560h.p.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:57 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
There is one reason that was completely missed by Edmunds, but the most important of all. The Cayman S outperforms the 911 Carrera. Every road test of it so far has acceleration numbers better than the 991 Carrera. The big mistake was downsizing the engine in the base Carrera. Despite some effort to de-tune the performance of the 3.4l, since it still makes similar power and torque in all but the higher revs; there is too little performance gap to separate these cars. Given this, I think it is simply stupid to spend the extra money for a Carrera today. Sorry guys, but that is the honest truth.

The Cayman S isn't the bargain of the Porsche line though. That goes to Boxster S. Remember that convertibles cost more that couple to manufacturer. Power tops with additional structural bracing adds cost. Hence all the convertible versions of key sports cars like 911s, Corvettes, Ferraris, etc. cost more. Further, a typical convertible weighs 200lbs more than the coupe it was derived from and hence has lesser performance. The 986/987/981 chassis generations were all designed as convertibles from the start. A Cayman is simply putting a solid roof body on the same car. Since none of the convertible structural bracing goes away with the hardtop, hardtop weight is basically a wash with the convertible. The only performance variance is in what Porsche can do to de-tune the Boxster to try to keep it behind the Cayman. Reality is that Porsche suckered the world by convincing buyers to spend more on a car that is cheap to build, i.e. simply increasing Porsche profits. In fact, Porsche makes almost $5K more profit selling a Cayman than a Boxster. With 911 Cabs costing $12K more than coupes these days, a Boxster S with a same performance as a Carrera cab costing $34K (1/3) less is simply the best bargain out there. By comparison, a Cayman S is only about $20K (1/4) less than the price of a Carrera coupe.

Porsche have done many bizzare things to protect the Carrera profit. The first is that they decided to market the Boxster as a different car.
Any other brand would have simply called it the Carrera roadster since by part number, the The 97-01 Boxster is a Carrera from practically the doors forward. Another brand would not have gone to the trouble to manufacture a smaller version of the 996's m96. A competing brand would have used the same engines as the base and S model 996 Carreras. But Porsche was intent on creating a forced hierarchy than many, as you point out, bought into hook line an sinker.
Then the Boxster proves to be so good that they offer a hard top version. I can't think of many roadsters that were good enough to merit this. A privateer comes along and finally puts the current model year S engine in a mid-engine Porssche, what should have been done since 1997, which brings the story line nearly full circle. 16 years later...
Still no Porsche support for raced Cayman or Boxsters, even when the mids are racing against other cars that are factory supported.

p.s.
The 981 S is not just the best Porsche bargain, it's also the purest sports car they offer that can be driven as a practical car in most weather, most streets, over long and short distances.

Last edited by perfectlap; 07-13-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:31 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Originally Posted by hot nikon
And for what they have in this Cayman, I could have a 997TT with AWD, a mild flash and 560h.p.
I'll take that Cayman S every day of the week without a second thought.
RWD FTW.

Unless my only commute is to the Golf Course and back then I'll take the Panamera Turbo Coupe.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:41 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take that Cayman S every day of the week without a second thought.
RWD FTW.

Unless my only commute is to the Golf Course and back then I'll take the Panamera Turbo Coupe.
Doesn't Rennlist have a Boxster forum? If I was interested in Boxsters, I would have purchased one.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:43 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Originally Posted by beden1
Doesn't Rennlist have a Boxster forum? If I was interested in Boxsters, I would have purchased one.
1- Thread is about Caymans not Boxsters -- Carrera vs Cayman.

2- The post you quote is also not about about Boxsters -- 997 T vs. Cayman 3.8L

or are you complaining about the discussion of Caymans in a thread about err.... Caymans?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got back from the Porsche road show and they had the Cayman S and C4/4S. The reason to get the 911 is power. The Cayman S is nimble and light but most like the power and planted feel of the C4S. When asked which one to get by the instructors, nearly everyone said the C4S. The few that said the Caymans currently owns the previous models. My bro-in-law also said his favorite is the C4S. I like the looks of the Cayman better than the 911. It's a no brainer if the Cayman had the same hp. 400hp on the Cayman S would be heaven.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:08 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche have done many bizzare things to protect the Carrera profit. The first is that they decided to market the Boxster as a different car.
Any other brand would have simply called it the Carrera roadster since by part number, the The 97-01 Boxster is a Carrera from practically the doors forward. Another brand would not have gone to the trouble to manufacture a smaller version of the 996's m96. A competing brand would have used the same engines as the base and S model 996 Carreras. But Porsche was intent on creating a forced hierarchy than many, as you point out, bought into hook line an sinker.
Then the Boxster proves to be so good that they offer a hard top version. I can't think of many roadsters that were good enough to merit this. A privateer comes along and finally puts the current model year S engine in a mid-engine Porssche, what should have been done since 1997, which brings the story line nearly full circle. 16 years later...
Still no Porsche support for raced Cayman or Boxsters, even when the mids are racing against other cars that are factory supported.

p.s.
.The 981 S is not just the best Porsche bargain, it's also the purest sports car they offer that can be driven as a practical car in most weather, most streets, over long and short distances
Please re-read your own post, once again, saying how great the Boxster is, in your opinion at least, over the 911.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thing is most of us (I think) buy the cars we buy not because they are 'better' by some predetermined metric. We buy them because that model/shape/feature set/ color, what-have-you is 'the combination' that makes us happy inside. Thats why many folks will buy and drive cars that are mechanical/electrical/design disasters; they evoke happiness... even when you are fiddling with broken electronics.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

or are you complaining about the discussion of Caymans in a thread about err.... Caymans?
Well, he may rightfully be complaining about a thread about caymans on a forum about 997's.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:03 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Originally Posted by Minok
Well, he may rightfully be complaining about a thread about caymans on a forum about 997's.
by posting in it? I generally don't tune into CSI if I'm not a fan of the subject.
Besides, click count on this thread says there is nothing to complain about.
The OP has provoked a good debate.

if there is a more compelling topic, then fire up a thread about it. They'll forget all about 911 vs. Cayman.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 AM
mm1
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Thing is most of us (I think) buy the cars we buy not because they are 'better' by some predetermined metric. We buy them because that model/shape/feature set/ color, what-have-you is 'the combination' that makes us happy inside. Thats why many folks will buy and drive cars that are mechanical/electrical/design disasters; they evoke happiness... even when you are fiddling with broken electronics.
This. I was lined up to buy a 981 Cayman S and extensively drove all the variants of the 981 (Cayman and Boxster). I knew the 981 was more composed than than 997s but after test driving it I couldn't get it out of my head, just made me happy (and had already depreciated quite a bit). Those lease rates are very good on 981's but they are still a good predictor of depreciation! I bought the 997 last week and have ZERO regrets.

Also agree, odd this thread is in the 997 section.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:11 AM
denVerSlube
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely sign me up for the first Cayman S with AWD, a sunroof, built-in ski rack mounts, room enough for either a regular Costco run or a 3rd emergency passenger, a wide-body (dat @ss), 4.8" ground clearance, great visibility around the c-pillar, a non-claustrophobic interior, and a ride smooth enough to live with every day. That would be the perfect daily driver for those of us with just a 2 car garage here in Colorado. Oh wait...
Old 07-19-2013, 11:12 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

by posting in it? I generally don't tune into CSI if I'm not a fan of the subject.
Besides, click count on this thread says there is nothing to complain about.
The OP has provoked a good debate.

if there is a more compelling topic, then fire up a thread about it. They'll forget all about 911 vs. Cayman.
That was the intent and choose to post here as it is a comparison between 911 and Cayman..and I have a 997.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by mm1

This. I was lined up to buy a 981 Cayman S and extensively drove all the variants of the 981 (Cayman and Boxster). I knew the 981 was more composed than than 997s but after test driving it I couldn't get it out of my head, just made me happy (and had already depreciated quite a bit). Those lease rates are very good on 981's but they are still a good predictor of depreciation! I bought the 997 last week and have ZERO regrets.

Also agree, odd this thread is in the 997 section.
Tend to disagree with the "odd" comment. Based on the article it can go in both a Cayman and 911 thread. Picked 997 as I have one and I spend time here and never on Cayman.

Was also looking for commentary from 911 owners and specifically 997.

Hope this justifies it.. Haha
Old 07-20-2013, 12:39 AM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Did the Porsche driving school in Birmingham and nobody there thought the Cayman beat the 911S.

Quick Reply: 10 Reasons the 2014 Cayman is better than 911