Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS/IMS seal leaks, but under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013 | 10:26 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Please confirm the date that car went into service. You call it a MY06 car?

The clutch issue is a toss up. I agree with you that to replace a clutch at that mileage seems very premature--unless it was abused. During your driving did you ever encounter any slippage? I know that this can be hard to measure in that the S model has a self-adjusting clutch. Perhaps your dealership can advise you where the clutch has adjusted itself--is it at the end of it's adjustment range?
June 30/06. No slippage at all.
Old 04-12-2013 | 07:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soverystout
I placed an order for a compelte clutch kit from Sunet Porsche and got everything (except the flywheel, which really shouldn't be needed) for $500.

I put the kit ont he passenger side floor of the car and told the service manager, "when the tech puts the car back together, use the new clutch kit that is sitting in the passenger side footwell". Service Manager said "no problem!"
Do this!

Honestly, I'd do it... it's almost zero labor to do clutch work while in there, however it's thousands (specially in Canada) if you wanna do it later, it's no brainer IMO. If you plan to keep the car for a few years, AND, a clutch replacement might come into play, this is by far the cheapest way to do it.
Old 04-12-2013 | 08:56 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Originally Posted by alexb76

Do this!

Honestly, I'd do it... it's almost zero labor to do clutch work while in there, however it's thousands (specially in Canada) if you wanna do it later, it's no brainer IMO. If you plan to keep the car for a few years, AND, a clutch replacement might come into play, this is by far the cheapest way to do it.
^^^^^^^this^^^^^^
Old 05-02-2013 | 11:50 AM
A2b
Intermediate

My '06 2S (CPO) is going in for RMS as well next week. Dealer told me 1K for the clutch all in while they are replacing the RMS. They told me if it's <50%, they'll do it. I have 36K and will probably just go for it. My indy to mentioned the leak says he pulls the IMS bearing seal off every chance he gets since the upgraded bearing in the '06+ cannot be replaced. Anyone have any luck have a dealer do this on a warrantied car? Probably not a factory approved procedure.

Another annoyance is I only put 900mi on the car and the dealer I purchased it from should have done the RMS but I think they figured we'll CPO is and have Porsche cover the bill.
Old 05-02-2013 | 12:29 PM
dw.metro
Racer

I have the same sweating of the RMS in MY06 C2 which was discovered in the PPI three years ago. IMO, I would drive it until your clutch wears further then do all the work before the CPO warranty expires.
Old 05-02-2013 | 12:39 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by A2b
My '06 2S (CPO) is going in for RMS as well next week. Dealer told me 1K for the clutch all in while they are replacing the RMS. They told me if it's <50%, they'll do it. I have 36K and will probably just go for it. My indy to mentioned the leak says he pulls the IMS bearing seal off every chance he gets since the upgraded bearing in the '06+ cannot be replaced. Anyone have any luck have a dealer do this on a warrantied car? Probably not a factory approved procedure.

Another annoyance is I only put 900mi on the car and the dealer I purchased it from should have done the RMS but I think they figured we'll CPO is and have Porsche cover the bill.
$1K for the clutch is reasonable if it includes parts and labor... parts alone is between $285 for the clutch disc to $815 for the clutch kit . I purchased my '08 C2S two years ago with original warranty left and CPO. My Indy caught the leaking RMS during the PPI(normal for a car sitting 4+ months on the lot) so I had them replace it as a condition of sale. I believe that the RMS would have been covered by warranty/CPO. IMO I believe this applies as well for your car/RMS issue and you certainly have a case with PCNA if the p-dealer pushes back on this... especially if you address it within 30 days.

The p-dealer may have tried to sell you on the CPO(100+ point inspection, yada yada) and that there is nothing worry about because of the warranty... My p-dealer tried this with me as well but based on what I read on RL I insisted on a PPI from an Indy. Unfortunately that's what p-dealers do and they are good at it - selling. So get a PPI even if it's after the fact(sales) to capture all potential issues. Ideally you got the PPI done prior to sale but better to know what types of maintenance/service needs are required vs. being surprised down the road later... and hopefully it's not an issue that leads towards an instance of a break down on the side of a remote road. GL and let us know the outcome.
Old 05-03-2013 | 01:34 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I believe that the RMS would have been covered by warranty/CPO. IMO I believe this applies as well for your car/RMS issue and you certainly have a case with PCNA if the p-dealer pushes back on this... especially if you address it within 30 days.
The RMS is covered by CPO, your dealer will not argue with you, it's easy money for them. I knew I had a slow leak when I got the PPI and I knew it's covered, there is nothing to worry about. Now if the car isn't CPO then I would have the seller fix it first b4 buying it.
Old 05-08-2013 | 01:46 PM
A2b
Intermediate

Dealer just called as they pulled the tranny out for the RMS. The IMS seal is sweating a bit too, so he said they would do that too. Had them order a clutch as well, but he told me the clutch looked almost new and does not recommend I bother replacing it. Surprised since it's got 36K on it. But I know the previous owner was an "older gentlemen" and I know the DME showed that he drove it as such. I've seen "older gentlemen" drive these like they were meant to, but I guess my previous owner was not one of them. Clutch fund has been reallocated to the tire fund.

I did ask him about removing the IMS bearing seal as recommended by my indy, but he said they don't touch them as the bearing is not serviceable. Since it's CPO'ed for another 18mo, I guess I'll leave it alone.

Quick Reply: RMS/IMS seal leaks, but under warranty