Sponsored by:

RMS/IMS seal leaks, but under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RMS/IMS seal leaks, but under warranty

I recently purchased a CPO C2S and the PPI noted that the RMS and IMS seals were weaping. I wasn't concerned about the leaks given the CPO warranty.

In order to have the car registered, I had the out-of-province inspection done at the local Porsche dealer. They noted that there is enough seal seepage that they will be able to repair them under warranty. Of course they recommended that the clutch be replaced while the RMS is being replaced. I have two minds about this given that there is only 48k km (29k mi) on the car and there is nothing leading me to believe that there is anything wrong with the clutch as it sits. The tech advised the service writer to supply me a quote for the "clutch kit" (I'll assume disk, pressure plate and throw-out bearing), flywheel, and clutch fork (and I believe, sleeve?). This is a bit of a red flag for me seeing as they are quoting everything and anything possible.

Three possible ways to go. 1) Just get them to replace the seals 2) Get them to replace just the clutch (disk, plate, bearing). 3) Let it ride for the next while (no leaks on the foor, yet) and get the seals/clutch replaced before the end of the warranty which has almost 2 years left.

The dealer has not yet provided any pricing.

Thoughts?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

'06
Old 04-09-2013, 05:36 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What model year is your C2S?

I would just have them do the IMS only at no cost unless they give you a great quote on the clutch replacement.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do the clutch if you plan to keep the car a few years

Old 04-10-2013, 02:07 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Clutch usually last a lot longer than 29K, I would just skip it unless you get a really good price. I also have RMS leak fixed under warranty, very common when you let the car sit for a long period of time.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:36 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

It kinda depends on how the prior owner drove it. 29K miles is light unless the PO abused the clutch. If the p-dealer is only charging you for parts related to the clutch and less for labor as they'll already have the tranny out then it might be worth it. My guess, however, is that the p-dealer may try to charge you for everything they can based on their initial suggestions... but let us know what they end up quoting you. I've yet to removed my tranny but I wonder if it's possible to inspect the clutch once the tranny if off. So perhaps make a decision re the clutch based on it's condition once they have the tranny removed for the RMS replacement.

BTW, I had an RMS leak which was serviced as a condition of sale on my '08 C2S. I passed on the offer to replace the clutch as the PO did 45K fwy miles over 2.25 yrs then it sat at the p-dealer for 4 months(causing an RMS leak) until I purchased it. What does your DME report look like? Sometimes the over rev readings can provide a good indication as to how hard the car was driven as well.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

You done it right by identifying the problem and having it documented. Other words # 3.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. The DME showed some fairly spirited driving, with highest being 2 iginitions in range 4, which really isn't possible as it would mean less than one engine revolution, and it was more than a thousand hours ago. The clutch feels good with medium effort required. There's nothing leading to me to believe that failure is any time soon (touch wood).

The car also has a cold start rattle, which actually seems to be exhaust related as opposed to chain tensioner related. CPO warranty is welcome relief to a newbie as these cars seem to be alive given all the noises they make.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Sexonwheels
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws1
Thanks all. The DME showed some fairly spirited driving, with highest being 2 iginitions in range 4, which really isn't possible as it would mean less than one engine revolution, and it was more than a thousand hours ago. The clutch feels good with medium effort required. There's nothing leading to me to believe that failure is any time soon (touch wood).

The car also has a cold start rattle, which actually seems to be exhaust related as opposed to chain tensioner related. CPO warranty is welcome relief to a newbie as these cars seem to be alive given all the noises they make.
Jaws1 the dealer should be able to measure the disc and tell you how much friction material is remaining vs a new one. The friction material or disc is the part that wears the most, the other thing to be aware of is the fingers in the pressure plate, the tips can tend to wear over time. In any case I live in Edmonton as well and if you would like a professional opinion once its removed I would be happy to offer it. Without seeing it its difficult for any of us to offer a good opinion on the matter but as a matter of point if porsche is paying to remove your tranny to repair a RMS or IMS issue it's probably not a pad idea to pony up and replace the clutch. As far as them replacing the clutch kit that's typically how they are sold, pressure plate or diaphragm, disc or friction material and a release bearing. If you need some help shoot me a message and I can give you my phone number to discuss further
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Please confirm the date that car went into service. You call it a MY06 car?

The clutch issue is a toss up. I agree with you that to replace a clutch at that mileage seems very premature--unless it was abused. During your driving did you ever encounter any slippage? I know that this can be hard to measure in that the S model has a self-adjusting clutch. Perhaps your dealership can advise you where the clutch has adjusted itself--is it at the end of it's adjustment range?
Old 04-11-2013, 02:48 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Get a quote on clutch replacement now vs. if they did it later, this is pretty much standard procedure to do the clutch while doing IMS/RMS and if you plan to keep the car for a while, might as well do it. You can maybe ask them to inspect and if worn over 50% to do it?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 03 had the leaking RMS/IMS and it was replaced under the CPO warranty at 37K miles.

I placed an order for a compelte clutch kit from Sunet Porsche and got everything (except the flywheel, which really shouldn't be needed) for $500.

I put the kit ont he passenger side floor of the car and told the service manager, "when the tech puts the car back together, use the new clutch kit that is sitting in the passenger side footwell". Service Manager said "no problem!"
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Get a quote on clutch replacement now vs. if they did it later, this is pretty much standard procedure to do the clutch while doing IMS/RMS and if you plan to keep the car for a while, might as well do it. You can maybe ask them to inspect and if worn over 50% to do it?
That's what I'll do, and also ask for the old parts back.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pressure plates are prone to failure which leads to a flywheel replacement when it happens. Do the clutch kit and skip the flywheel.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sexonwheels
Jaws1 the dealer should be able to measure the disc and tell you how much friction material is remaining vs a new one. The friction material or disc is the part that wears the most, the other thing to be aware of is the fingers in the pressure plate, the tips can tend to wear over time. In any case I live in Edmonton as well and if you would like a professional opinion once its removed I would be happy to offer it. Without seeing it its difficult for any of us to offer a good opinion on the matter but as a matter of point if porsche is paying to remove your tranny to repair a RMS or IMS issue it's probably not a pad idea to pony up and replace the clutch. As far as them replacing the clutch kit that's typically how they are sold, pressure plate or diaphragm, disc or friction material and a release bearing. If you need some help shoot me a message and I can give you my phone number to discuss further
Thanks for the offer. I'm not questioning the disk, plate or bearing as possibly needing replacement, but I question the flywheel.

Quick Reply: RMS/IMS seal leaks, but under warranty