Sponsored by:

DIY Maintenance: Cabin Air Filter Replacement for 997.1 and 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 07:06 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdr2001
Just fyi, Amazon has a ton of these parts as well, usually with Free shipping. Just want to offer a variety of buying options when you have a need. I got my plugs there as well for about $8 a plug - so $50 for the exact same Bosch plugs. I get my oil filters there (Mann) for $13 or less.
+1 on Amazon. I always check them out first before I purchase my consumables. My 997 has the X-51 powerkit, so I need 2 non-standard size air filters. I found 3 Mahle filters for sale on Amazon Prime for $4.87 each so I bought them all (the P-dealer here in DC wanted $60 each). When I put the new ones up to the old ones, they were EXACTLY the same. The only difference is the packaging and the lack of the triangle "P" printed on the filter.

Unfortunately these filters aren't kept in stock normally, so I guess I got lucky. A few months later, I checked Amazon again and they had 3 more of the air filters I needed. This time they were from a different vendor who sold them for $15.00 each. Even at triple the cost of my first purchase, it was still an amazing deal compared to dealer cost.

Sean
Old 06-14-2014, 01:54 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bindaham
Thanks USMC_DS1 for the deatailed post.

My 997 is a ROW 2007 and it has the aluminum bracket! Shouldn't my car be a 997.1 hence without that bracket!
Sure thing bindaham... glad the posting was of help. Re the aluminum bracket. Are you the original owner of the 997.1? If not then perhaps the prior owner added the aluminum bracket. More likely that's what Porsche installed from the factory for ROW 997.1 cars. I was lucky enough to do a Porsche factory tour three weeks ago. It seems that 911 US bound cars had some unique differences vs. ROW so I would not be surprised if this was might be one of the differences back in the MY07 build years. It's all good as long as you can get a proper filter and fitment with that metal bracket in your 997.1.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:48 PM
bindaham
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. I'm technicaly the second owener of this fine 2007 997 Targa 4S, might as well be the first since the car has only 19K miles . Much appreciated once again for your valuable input, gentlemen like your good self make our car experience more enjoyable.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:58 AM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<<<@!1!@>>>

Great tips.
I'll add this video as it might help others.

I might try this one
Old 07-09-2014, 12:42 PM
911searcher
Pro

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
replace cabin air filter
thanks
Old 07-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 06 has aluminum bracket. This is odd. What's normal?

I didn't use the foam thing upon re-installation. Seemed a little over top, and the tab holes were torn. No ill effects.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:22 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 911searcher
thanks
Glad it help.

Originally Posted by Chrono
My 06 has aluminum bracket. This is odd. What's normal?

I didn't use the foam thing upon re-installation. Seemed a little over top, and the tab holes were torn. No ill effects.
That's the 2nd report of the aluminum bracket in a .1 car. I wonder if the factory switched from one type(aluminum) to the other depending on availability of parts at the time of build.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:17 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

From what I understand the bracket is part of the phone antenna; for those with it, does your car also have the phone module?

Thanks for the guides, will be doing this soon.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:57 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

My 05 97.1 also has the aluminum bracket. Second owner. I do have the phone buttons on mine
Old 06-05-2017, 09:28 PM
BoomC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DGrayling
The procedure for the 997.2 is nearly identical to the instructions above. The only real difference is that there is an aluminum bracket that needs to be removed prior to changing out the filter. A T30 driver is needed to remove the four screws. See photos below. There are a couple of wires that you need to work around, but it is not necessary to remove them.

Any idea what the wire on the left is? No metal bracket on my 997.2.

Bricker
Old 06-05-2017, 11:17 PM
MGibilisco
Rennlist Member

Just did this last weekend on a 2006 c4s, and I have the bracket.

I had a difficult time getting the filter in, as the one I received off Amazon seemed too big no matter how I tried. I verified part numbers to be correct, and ended up getting it in but some of the pleats are squished.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

Just did mine - thanks for the reminder. Get mine from Amazon as well. Mann 3360. Replaced this one after about 6.5 months and 5.5k miles.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:33 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Replacing Cabin Filter With Metal Bracket

Originally Posted by MGibilisco
Just did this last weekend on a 2006 c4s, and I have the bracket.

I had a difficult time getting the filter in, as the one I received off Amazon seemed too big no matter how I tried. I verified part numbers to be correct, and ended up getting it in but some of the pleats are squished.
I just replaced mine, and it was past due. After removing the bracket (the screws were tight and I needed a socket with the torx) it was, as others have mentioned. very difficult to get the old filter out and the new one in.

After I got it seated, I noticed a plastic clip on the right side of the box, which looked like it could be removed, and might be blocking the way.. I also looked at the connection in the middle of the larger wire to the right, and it looked like a quick disconnect, perhaps set up get out of the way. Perhaps someone can confirm that wit the photos above. Well, I try both next time.

Off the subject, I was surprised to find that the two spring clips on the top that take the screws were slid over the bracket and not the metal frame on the top. In other words, they were not attaching the top of the frame to the bracket. Also, the right Botton screw was very loose, so the bracket was held on by one screw. I'll have a talk with the dealer, who last replaced that filter...
Old 01-21-2022, 01:40 AM
JeffSaysThings
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomC2S
Any idea what the wire on the left is? No metal bracket on my 997.2.

Bricker
I’m bringing this thread back from the dead...

I’m interested in what purpose that left wire serves as well. I have the metal bracket and both wires on my 997.2 C2S. I agree that the metal bracket appears to be a phone antenna, but there is an additional box above it, like maybe a sensor or additional antenna. I accidentally damaged the connector while replacing my windshield cowl and I can’t figure out what it does. I’ll guess take it apart again, grab the PN and look it up... it just needs to warm up a little.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:31 PM
Ruben C
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Background and Goals
My '08 C2S currently has 58K miles and 4.5 yrs on the clock. It's that time of year again... the pollen report indicates a very high count for the next few days and during this time of year my wife's acquires a fiendish dependency on nasal stray. So amongst the various projects this weekend I also replaced the cabin air filter within our vehicles.

I consider this DIY project a level 1-2 out of 10. It's a simple task requiring only a few steps to perform properly. Here are some instructions and pics which may help others.

Tools Required:
- a pair of hands

Parts:
- Cabin Air Filter for ~$20: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...C%20Each%20%20

Instructions for the 997.1: Look further down the thread for the 997.2 additive instructions from DGrayling
Remove the cover above the battery compartment within the frunk by turning the two plastic tabs. Then remove the side cover as well by lifting it up. Note that the thin plastic retainer strip running along the side is held down via Velcro tape.
Attachment 716564Attachment 716565
Attachment 716566

Lift up the foam flap covering the cabin air filter assembly. Note the plastic retainer bracket at the center of the filter. Slide it to the left to remove. There is also a retention tab on the right side towards the rear of the filter. Flip that tab down. Now the filter can be removed.
Attachment 716568Attachment 716569
Attachment 716570Attachment 716571
Attachment 716572Attachment 716573

The paper filter is now accessible and it is pliable so push it in the middle to loosen it from it's frame and lift it out. Note the inlet port/opening under the air filter chamber. This is a good time/opportunity to vacuum any debris out of that area.
Attachment 716577
Attachment 716578
Attachment 716579

Now install the new air filter noting the direction of airflow... arrow should point down. When the new filter is properly secured into it's frame you should not see the foam sealant liner at the bottom of the paper filter. The foam part of the paper filter should be hidden if the filter is pressed down far enough. Afterwards it's time to re-attach/re-install all the latches and panel parts in reverse of the above instructions.
Attachment 716583Attachment 716584

An inspection of the old filter reveals that it does have some oak tree pollen seeds lodged in there. I recall that Porsche recommends a much longer period in between changes for the cabin air filter but I prefer to change it at least once every year even if I've only put 5-6K miles on the car... Especially as it's only $20/filter and makes my better half a happy camper in the passenger seat.
hi! Do you know the part code of the grey foam protection of the filter?
I can not find and in my 08 carrera 4s mk1 is destroyed

thanks!

Quick Reply: DIY Maintenance: Cabin Air Filter Replacement for 997.1 and 997.2