Sponsored by:

Consequences of running w/o TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013 | 12:44 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 659 Posts
Default Consequences of running w/o TPMS

About to install a new set of rims/tires and I'm curious what I will have to deal with without sensors. The tires were already mounted on the rims and I'm assuming there are probably no sensors - didn't even think about it initially. Will I just have the TP light on the dash or will there possibly be other issues?
Old 03-22-2013 | 01:08 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TPMS valve stems are characteristic. You may be able to tell that way. They are very solid, all metal, and feel "bolted in".
Old 03-22-2013 | 01:49 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I suspect you can have either have a PIWIS or Durametric Pro 'turn off' TPSMS so the error message is disabled. Might ask guys that do wheel/tire changes for track & autocross days how they deal w/ it.
Old 03-22-2013 | 02:01 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Im not running TPMS on a BMW 3, the only thing it affects is triggering the TPMS warning light on the dash. It shouldnt intervene with the engine or operating control strategy of the ECU or its electronics. Depending on your state, the inspector could fail you for state inspection.
Old 03-22-2013 | 02:05 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Just an annoying warning light...but, as mentioned, TPMS can be disabled with PIWIS or Durametric Pro.
Old 03-22-2013 | 02:25 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the issue is that you won't know when you have a flat. The sidewalls are so low that the handling changes are subtle, esp if you're on the highway. So at the very least you'll drive long enough on it to toast the tire at worst it'll disintegrate on you.
Old 03-22-2013 | 03:20 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stefang
Well, the issue is that you won't know when you have a flat. The sidewalls are so low that the handling changes are subtle, esp if you're on the highway. So at the very least you'll drive long enough on it to toast the tire at worst it'll disintegrate on you.
I don't mean to be sarcastic but are saying that unless you have tire pressure sensing you won't be able to detect a flat or even a low tire? I'll admit I've never had flat on my 997 but have on other cars w/ low profile tires and it's very evident either in the steering (front) or handling (rear). I would think you'd have to be pretty 'unconscious' not to feel the difference. I do agree that validating the tire pressure either manually periodically or via TPMS is a good thing.

Old 03-22-2013 | 03:58 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

Having just done this exact thing this week, I can tell you what happens on an '09.

Every time you start the car, there will be a warning chime from the dash and the PCM will tell you that your TPMS is inoperable. You will have to push the information stalk to clear that message. Your red warning exclamation point will illuminate and your low tire warning light will blink for about 30 seconds. Then both lights will stay illuminated for as long as you drive the car.

While I can get used to just about anything, given enough time, this is enough of an annoyance to me to go ahead and get TPM sensors ordered so that I can have them installed next week.
Old 03-22-2013 | 04:25 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AP997S
I don't mean to be sarcastic but are saying that unless you have tire pressure sensing you won't be able to detect a flat or even a low tire? I'll admit I've never had flat on my 997 but have on other cars w/ low profile tires and it's very evident either in the steering (front) or handling (rear). I would think you'd have to be pretty 'unconscious' not to feel the difference. I do agree that validating the tire pressure either manually periodically or via TPMS is a good thing.

Well, we'll have to disagree there. I don't think of myself as an unconscious driver, but the handling difference unless you're taking a corner is marginal, though it's likely much more noticeable on the front. Yes, you will start noticing it, but by the time you realize what's going on your expensive rear tire is trash. Doesn't take very long. Been there, done that. So IMHO TPMS is very useful indeed and not just there to avoid checking pressures.
Old 03-22-2013 | 04:25 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AP997S

Well with an active TPMS you'd at least get an advance warning while driving that the tire was losing air.
Old 03-22-2013 | 04:36 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Having just done this exact thing this week, I can tell you what happens on an '09.
Every time you start the car, there will be a warning chime from the dash...
While I can get used to just about anything...
Based on your account, I will probably wind up making a similar decision to you. Sounds like the 'annoyance' will be enough to want to remedy the issue. I'll have to decide between disabling the system or installing sensors. I'm not nearly as concerned about a tire going down and needing a warning light - this does not discount the advantages of a TPMS. Thanks for all the info, gentlemen.
Old 03-23-2013 | 08:56 PM
j_leder
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Where did you order your second set of TPM sensors??
Old 03-24-2013 | 03:07 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 470 Posts

I don't think you can disable the TPMS system on these cars and it will displace the warming as long as the car is operating w/out sensor as described above. At least that's what I've heard others comment upon.

I can say TPMS does help to keep you out of trouble on the roadway. A few years back I hit a slight road defect left over from some resurfacing on the hwy while doing maybe 70mph in my '05 C2S. It was enough for me to feel the impact and surface change in the road as well as hear it too. Well maybe 2-5 seconds later and less than 1/4 mile my TPMS lit up like a Christmas tree showing I had a left front rear air leak and that I was about -5+ down in tire pressure from the other 4 tires. The car was still rolling and driving pretty much fine other than the steering was noticeably slower and by the time I got over in the right lane and took the next off ramp TPMS was showing -8+ down in that tire and steering was sluggish. Luckily for me I got her home 3-5 miles away taking a few back roads and driving very slowly but my tire was done! 48hrs and a new tire later I must say that I did learn to appreciate the TPMS. Figure it as a little cost to pay for that extra information and piece of mind/safety. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-24-2013 | 09:04 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
I don't think you can disable the TPMS system on these cars and it will displace the warming as long as the car is operating w/out sensor as described above. At least that's what I've heard others comment upon.

I can say TPMS does help to keep you out of trouble on the roadway. A few years back I hit a slight road defect left over from some resurfacing on the hwy while doing maybe 70mph in my '05 C2S. It was enough for me to feel the impact and surface change in the road as well as hear it too. Well maybe 2-5 seconds later and less than 1/4 mile my TPMS lit up like a Christmas tree showing I had a left front rear air leak and that I was about -5+ down in tire pressure from the other 4 tires. The car was still rolling and driving pretty much fine other than the steering was noticeably slower and by the time I got over in the right lane and took the next off ramp TPMS was showing -8+ down in that tire and steering was sluggish. Luckily for me I got her home 3-5 miles away taking a few back roads and driving very slowly but my tire was done! 48hrs and a new tire later I must say that I did learn to appreciate the TPMS. Figure it as a little cost to pay for that extra information and piece of mind/safety. Just my 2 cents.
It can be disabled...not without some effort, but it can be done.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/t...etric-pro.html
Old 03-27-2013 | 02:11 PM
ricm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Monitoring tire pressures is the one ritual that I do before I leave home. Subtle fluctuations can indicate a slow leak that would otherwise go unnoticed and could lead to major issues in the rural areas (away from service stations, cell service, etc) that I drive. Unlike larger tires, TPMS is essential for me.

Quick Reply: Consequences of running w/o TPMS