Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono Pkg installed today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well , it is done. I just had the "sport chrono package" to my 2012 4S cab . It cost me 1960.00 for the service. I had a dealership that I have worked with in the past , do it. I am enjoying this option , it is definitely a worthy option especially if you have a PDK .

Watch my gas mileage go down to about 14 Miles per gallon , now that I added this option. Lol.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:03 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Guys, i'm thinking about adding this Sports mode upgrade to my 06 997...the question is, is it worth it for the money if I have Tiptronic? It doesn't seem like that much, but what will it do for me if anything, if I have Tiptronic. I understand its definitely worth it for the PDKs, but not sure if I want to pull the trigger. I hear it will speed up or help with some of the shifting lag, true or false?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114Scab
Well , it is done. I just had the "sport chrono package" to my 2012 4S cab . It cost me 1960.00 for the service. I had a dealership that I have worked with in the past , do it. I am enjoying this option , it is definitely a worthy option especially if you have a PDK . Watch my gas mileage go down to about 14 Miles per gallon , now that I added this option. Lol.
How do you like the sports chrono? Well worth it?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:04 AM
9114Scab
Instructor

I think it is worth it, whether you have a tiptronic or a PDK. If I were Porsche , I would of made that option permanent to the 911. I had it on my 08 911s cab (tip) , and I enjoyed it then also. Go for it, and have fun.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoz
Hey Guys, i'm thinking about adding this Sports mode upgrade to my 06 997...the question is, is it worth it for the money if I have Tiptronic? It doesn't seem like that much, but what will it do for me if anything, if I have Tiptronic. I understand its definitely worth it for the PDKs, but not sure if I want to pull the trigger. I hear it will speed up or help with some of the shifting lag, true or false?
I have Tip and Sports (Chrono). If you use the Tip buttons at all, it's a great option. In full Auto, in the city traffic, I leave it off. Otherwise, it's on.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrono
I have Tip and Sports (Chrono). If you use the Tip buttons at all, it's a great option. In full Auto, in the city traffic, I leave it off. Otherwise, it's on.
how about with PDK, any insight?
Old 09-18-2014, 12:39 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
how about with PDK, any insight?
Hey fellow Austinite. There are a lot of threads that have discussed this in detail. The forum search tool will help you find them. A good thread a search revealed is here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...port-mode.html

In a nutshell, the general opinion is virtually all PDK drivers who have it can't imagine not having it. I consider it a mistake on Porsche's part not making it standard on the PDKs because you lose so much responsiveness without it. But read the thread I referenced above (or others that you find) for some pretty good chatter on the subject.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:09 PM
LP Beck
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport Chrono kit

Hello, I am new to the board, just having purchased a 2009 997.2 CPO, PDK in Southern California (Chino) where I reside. I too would like to have this option installed in my car, as without it, the PDK is IMHO, fairly weak. A couple of questions:

Can anyone recommend a Porsche dealer in Southern California experienced in this installation, or can any dealer do it? What did you pay for the kit, and how much labor was charged? BTW, I bought my car from Walters in Riverside, and so far, they've been outstanding in every way.

In a few short weeks, this board has been a wealth of information for me, thank you all! This is my third Porsche, having purchased a 1987 944 new, and after 12 years of ownership, sold it and bought a Boxter. All great cars, but nothing as compared to my 911.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this subject.

Larry
Old 12-19-2014, 03:25 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Looking on the Porsche tEquipment web site, it retails for $1266.26 for PDK cars (part number 997.044.903.02). I see it for $1111.18 on the Gaudin Porsche web site that I often use for discounted parts. I've had my local dealer price match at times, plus they might be more amenable to cutting you a deal if you get both the part and the labor from them.

If you have access to multiple dealers in your area, I would just call each of them and tell them you are looking for the best installed price in your area. I do this kind of thing when I can, but can't do that for Porsche stuff in a one-dealer place like Austin. There's no shame, it just shows you are a wise buyer. I doubt there is much that could go wrong with the install on this one.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:40 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Poking around a little more carefully, I see that I'm in danger of misleading you. Looking at the tEquipment site again (Google it, the link is a little odd to copy and paste), you also need to buy the correct switch separately. Quoting:
Note: The strip for switches in the center console must also be ordered separately. The strip for switches is retrofitted without decorative trim in combination with PCM with a trim option
Note that the switches vary depending on what other options you may have (PASM, etc.). You can also buy these from Gaudin and others. Look at the different variations of part #7 on the diagram on this page: http://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/pa...iagram=6933295. The cost varies a little but stays below $100 retail it seems.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

Welcome to the 997 Board. Sounds like a nice car but you are right, the PDK needs the SC. The question, or option, you have is wart, or no wart.

Somebody is about to say this so I will start ... pictures, details ...
Old 12-20-2014, 01:52 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

JRoz, I have a 08 TT CAB with Tip and SC. The first month I owned the car I never thought about pushing the Sport button because it trips the PASM "stiff shock" mode as well as the schock of the tremendous power I just purchased. Now, I always hit the Sport button and then the "shocks" button to return my shocks to "normal" mode. There is a big difference in my car. I only drive the car in "Normal" mode with the wife (stealth mode).
Get the upgrade, you'll never look back
Old 12-22-2014, 08:00 PM
LP Beck
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sports chrono software upgrade

HELP! My local dealer in SoCal is telling me that because my car doesn't have PASM, the upgrade is not available. My 997.2 came with PSM as standard. Sun coast says this is nonsense. Has anyone on this forum had the upgrade successfully done on their car without PASM?

Please advise, thanks again.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:42 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LP Beck
HELP! My local dealer in SoCal is telling me that because my car doesn't have PASM, the upgrade is not available. My 997.2 came with PSM as standard. Sun coast says this is nonsense. Has anyone on this forum had the upgrade successfully done on their car without PASM?

Please advise, thanks again.
That is just crazy! Find another dealer. PASM is not a prerequisite for installing Sport Chrono.

If a car has PASM, Sport Chrono will activate (move to sport mode) the PASM suspension, which can be switched off (back to normal) with the PASM button, leaving all other Sport Chrono functions active.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:52 AM
mt6442
6th Gear

Default Sport chrono retro fit

I have a 2011 C2 without PASM and had the sport mode installed by Porsche of San Diego about a year ago.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Pkg installed today!