Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono Pkg installed today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sport Chrono Pkg installed today!

Just picked my car up from the dealership after having the Sport Chrono Pkg installed. Nice upgrade.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
Just picked my car up from the dealership after having the Sport Chrono Pkg installed. Nice upgrade.
You can't leave us hangin' like that. Answers to questions such as:

- Which dealership
- how long did it take for the kit to come in
- How long did they have the car in the shop
- Anything that you learned that the next person to upgrade should know.

AND

CONGRATS! It is a lot of fun.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

My bad, relative newbie! I had it installed at Leith Porsche in Cary, NC. I ordered on Monday and they told me they would have to get it from Germany. Got the call yesterday that they had received the parts. 2 days? Any way, I dropped it off a little after 9 this morning and it was ready at 1:00 pm. They charged 2 hrs for install. My advice is if you find the perfect used car and it does not have Sport Chrono, the dealer can add it for you. The only thing you give up is the clock on the dash, which some people don't like anyway. Although, I think it looks fine with or without it.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It not only looks fine without it, it looks better.
You've got the best of both...sport chrono without the chronograph.
That would have been my choice.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:19 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Is your car a PDK car? What did the Sport Chrono cost?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Yes, I have PDK. Cost was about $1260 before the Porsche 15% off discount.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cairo94507
What did the Sport Chrono cost?
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=997236per

+ the 2hrs labor means you got a very good deal. I wish I didn't have the wart, but couldn't imagine a PDK without Sport Chrono. You have it perfect. Sport Chrono...no dash wart.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Thanks Mark. I much prefer to deal with the local dealership as opposed to ordering online. I am not comfortable with the whole " If you order the wrong one, you've wasted your money" clause at sun coast. Plus, I live about 7 miles from the dealership and they always offer a loaner car for any service.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 PM
GEO356
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets not confuse Sport Chrono Pkg with sports mode. I had sports mode installed on my 2009 PDK C2 several months ago after ordering it from Suncoast, my local dealer charged me 2 hours labor. There is no easy path to get the Sport Chrono Pkg installed at the dealer. Sport mode does not add all the functionality of the Sport Chrono Pkg but IMO sport mode is probably one of the best performance upgrades available if your pcar does not have it, especially with PDK.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Other than the dash clock, what does the factory Sport Chrono have that Sport Mode does not provide on a 997.2 PDK car? Lap timing? It seems to do all the cool stuff that people buy the Sport Chrono Pkg for.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:20 PM
GEO356
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zucc
Other than the dash clock, what does the factory Sport Chrono have that Sport Mode does not provide on a 997.2 PDK car? Lap timing? It seems to do all the cool stuff that people buy the Sport Chrono Pkg for.
Sports Chrono adds many more functions than just sport mode and a clock with a lap timer but for me all I need is the sport mode functionality. My comment was only to add clarity that they are different and there is no way you will get Sport Chrono functionality with a $1200 dash switch installed at your local dealer with a 2 hour labor charge.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 PM
GEO356
Advanced

Maybe this will help

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...port-mode.html
Old 03-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

I admit that "sport mode" is a better description of the product since the word "Chrono" implimes "clock" which we already know that it doesn't have. What I had installed added a sport and a sport plus button. Sport mode raises the shift points, throttle response, controls PASM, PSM. It has the launch control function and the hard rev limiter. It will also control the sport exhaust as well as the PCM functions such as lights,climate control and door lock settings. Your post implies that there is no way you can get sport Chrono functionality for $1200. The way I look at it, it is just a software upgrade on a car already designed for it. While it provides a great performance upgrade, actual cost for the Porsche to put in at the factory or sell it to the dealerships parts department is minimal. Like I said earlier, I would like to know what else the Factory sport Chrono Pkg has that the sport mode dosen't, other than clock and it's lap functions.
The following users liked this post:
Onesunnybeach (12-05-2023)
Old 03-22-2013, 01:23 AM
GEO356
Advanced

It is confusing. I had to study the owners manual. For me sport mode is all I need.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Default Just to add some clarity...

I certainly wouldn't want to confuse anyone following this post. If they are considering buying a used 911 without sport chrono or own one already and would like to add it, the following is all they need to know: The sports mode software package with both the sport and sport plus switches that I had installed at my local Porsche dealer yesterday, does EVERYTHING that the factory sport chrono does with the obvious exception of lap timing. And it can, in fact, be bought for LESS than $1200 before labor, if you use the 15% off coupon that expires on March 31st.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Pkg installed today!