Sponsored by:

California: Buying a new vehicle from out of state

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:36 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts
Default California: Buying a new vehicle from out of state

Just purchased a new car. It's being shipped from New Jersey.
I paid all my taxes to the dealership and they are facilitating the registration and plates, etc.

The salesman just called me to tell me to be sure I got the car smog checked for registration.

I've purchased vehicles from out of state before but I always did fly and drive. I paid the taxes myself at the CAdmv...

But I think I remember never having to get smogged. The vehicle is BRAND NEW.

Am I correct that I don't need to get a brand new car smog checked?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 06:47 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought my '09 911 out of state last year via private sale. I had the car delivered to my house. Step 1 - go get the car smogged. Step 2 - go to DMV to pay outrageously high sales and license fees AND to have them verify the car is legal to drive in California including smog certificate. If you buy an out of state car regardless of age, you need to get the car smogged. Silly rule for a new car, but this is California. Need I say more about silly rules?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Dang.. okay.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 PM
B-Line
Drifting

No front plate.. Are they gonna rape me for that?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 PM
daberlin
Racer

Originally Posted by B-Line
No front plate.. Are they gonna rape me for that?
See above....
Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
daberlin
Racer

Originally Posted by B-Line
Dang.. okay.
total extra cost with a cheap smog shop is around $35 here in SFV. Just an extra piece of paper to bring to the DMV. They didn't give the car too hard of an inspection. Worst part was waiting for the dude to come outside to look at the car. That took about 30 minutes. He did NOT say anything about the car having no plates on it at all. Front or rear. I think you'll be ok there...
Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait a minute, you are buying a brand new car(never registered before) and CA wants it smog tested? That's news to me, I thought the law was no smog checks needed for first 4 years.

Also, always pay the taxes yourself at local DMV, if the NJ sellers did not do it properly you won't be able to register it or have to pay it again.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

B Line.

I could have facilitated your purchase from Schneider Nelson and even drive your car to LA. Nice car!!!

Mark
Old 03-18-2013, 09:10 PM
daberlin
Racer

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
Wait a minute, you are buying a brand new car(never registered before) and CA wants it smog tested? That's news to me, I thought the law was no smog checks needed for first 4 years.

Also, always pay the taxes yourself at local DMV, if the NJ sellers did not do it properly you won't be able to register it or have to pay it again.
Even the banks in this crazy *** state are goofy. We used my wife's credit union and they wouldn't even approve my loan UNTIL I had the car smog tested. Go figure. Had to seriously raid the piggy bank for that wire transfer.

Agree with the taxes comment. I wouldn't have agreed to them processing the taxes. You could have done that yourself.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If the car has never been registered and is in fact 'brand new' I don't think you'll need a smog certification since it's 50 state car. You may need to bring it into the DMV for inspection to make sure that it complies w/ California regulations.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:49 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
B Line.

I could have facilitated your purchase from Schneider Nelson and even drive your car to LA. Nice car!!!

Mark
Haha, thanks Mark. How do you know what I bought and where I bought it?

I was thinking of doing a fly and drive but one of my friends made a great point to me.
"Driving an R8 spyder across the country, your first experience with the car will be everything that's negative about the car without really being able to enjoy the positive."

The car is really small, no storage, etc. I thought he made a great point. It's not like taking delivery of a car in Portland and driving the coast. That's how I took delivery of the Turbo. it was incredible!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
Originally Posted by daberlin
Agree with the taxes comment. I wouldn't have agreed to them processing the taxes. You could have done that yourself.
Let me be very clear about this... I did everything in my power to avoid paying the dealership the taxes. I said to them, "send me the car, I'll go into the dealership and pay them myself and get my tags." - They said, "No."

I had spoken with another dealer that I was negotiating with and she said the same thing, "They won't send the car until the registration gets handled."

I believe Audi of America would not let them ship the car to me sans tags and registration, taxes and fees paid. I further believe the reason for this is to prevent vehicles from being shipped out of the country or never registered (taxes paid.)

In both cases, both Audi dealerships told me, they had to handle it. So despite my better judgment, I gave them the $14,000 in taxes and then another $1200 in registration fee's and I now have a NJ temp plate on the car as it makes it's trek cross country.

Hopefully all will go smooth when it lands in Fruit and Nut Ville.

It's a good thing I got the car for nearly $40k off MSRP or I might really have been pissed
Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Pics?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:10 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Pics?
I only have the pics taken on the dealership floor.
No great angles. I haven't even seen the car in person yet.
I've been told about the color but haven't even laid eyes on it.

lol.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
I bought my '09 911 out of state last year via private sale. I had the car delivered to my house. Step 1 - go get the car smogged. Step 2 - go to DMV to pay outrageously high sales and license fees AND to have them verify the car is legal to drive in California including smog certificate. If you buy an out of state car regardless of age, you need to get the car smogged. Silly rule for a new car, but this is California. Need I say more about silly rules?
You need a smog cert. regardless of age, EXCEPT for new cars. You said your transaction was private. That means you purchased your car used. Yes you need a smog. OP is buying a brand new, 50 state car. Just like buying it in state, no smog required.

No smog cert needed B-Line.

Quick Reply: California: Buying a new vehicle from out of state