Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who getting screwed here?

You..and you are doing it to yourself.
That part that might have been worth $ 250 is now cracked and worthless, and destined for the dumpster.
This isn't a warranty issue..it was broken in transit and you have yet to deliver what the customer paid for, a working piece.
That doesn't seem to stop you from asking for another 250...
But what do I know ?...I only have 25 years experience selling and shipping expensive breakable products.
I can count the number of chargebacks on exactly one finger...and that guy lied his *** off to the card company.
You can't buy good PR for $ 250 , but you certainly squandered thousands already.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:58 PM
DELREYCUSTOMS
Former Vendor

The reason we have our policies in place is on the very first light that broke in shipping we filed the USPS claim and sent a new light out asap no deposit just on faith the customer would follow through with the claim process and it didn't work out.

I received a letter 30 days later stating the damaged light was never received for inspection by the Post office and could not get a hold of the customer via Email or Phone calls.

He never shipped the light back or turned it over to the post office for inspection so we got screwed for try to be the "nice" guys.

So i have to take a deposit and when i do so i noticed people follow through and turn the lights over to the post office for inspection and they get their replacements. I get reimbursed and they get the credit back.

In accordance to the post office if we have something shipped back and then claimed it as damaged then The claim gets denied most likely gets denied. It need to be turn over to the local post office in the area it was shipped to, to properly file a claim with them. I know its a process but its the best we can do is follow the rules and purchase the insurance.

Rule of thumb all other matters with shipping have been resolved very quickly with out payment being withdrawn or a "Bash" thread.

I understand it is the cost of doing business and it comes with the territory. The is a lot of fraud and not so honest people who conduct business online.

We never ask for credit card numbers, we don't take phone orders and we handle everything via Paypal so it is safe and secure buying process. and the OP has been protected by Paypal by filing a claim.

Personally I would never give my CC info out on a forum or to some one over a forum. I only pay for items online Personally, with PayPal. I would recommend the same for everyone.

At the end of the day there in no free lunch!!!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 PM
DELREYCUSTOMS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Graygoose997

You..and you are doing it to yourself.
That part that might have been worth $ 250 is now cracked and worthless, and destined for the dumpster.
This isn't a warranty issue..it was broken in transit and you have yet to deliver what the customer paid for, a working piece.
That doesn't seem to stop you from asking for another 250...
But what do I know ?...I only have 25 years experience selling and shipping expensive breakable products.
I can count the number of chargebacks on exactly one finger...and that guy lied his *** off to the card company.
You can't buy good PR for $ 250 , but you certainly squandered thousands already.
We still are shipping 4-5 orders a week which is average. The light need to be turned over to the post office and the replacement will be shipped when i have the proof it has been done.

most people are more than happy to pay a small deposit and have them on the car right away.

Also the OP choose to wait because it is still snowing in his part of the country and can not drive the car for a few weeks.

In store I have not had a charge back in over 5 years and we work on over 350 vehicles a month.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

In my experience, most people buying high end items for their high end toys are actually honest.
To treat all your customers as if they are trying to steal from you is a mistake.

(We're not talking about the guys that try to buy stuff with stolen credit cards ( send it overnight..I don't care what it costs).)
Old 03-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by DELREYCUSTOMS
if i send a new light at no charge and i do not recieve the damaged one back then there is no way to "charge" the customer. everything is handled via PayPal. It's not like i have the guys CC number on file and as of right now according to pay pal im out the funds as well. The customer with drew the funds so the facts as of now is he has the lights and the money.

I suppose you could take his CC number and tell him you'll only charge him if he doesn't return the first light, but that's beside the point.

You're not seeing the big picture. This thread could easily have cost you thousands in lost orders yet you continue to try and argue your case. It doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong. You've got a customer posting his dissatisfaction on an international Porsche discussion forum with thousands of members and thousands more lurkers and all they see in the brief few seconds that they scroll over this thread is that Del Rey Customs screwed somebody on an order. Doesn't matter if it's true or not, it's what they perceive.

This could just as easily have been a thread where the OP posted about his stellar experience with Del Rey Customs and how even though the post office broke his tail light, Shane bent over backwards to get him another and dealt with the post office himself.

If you'd done that, even if the OP had never sent the tail light back and screwed you out of the $250, the positive publicity would have been worth the money.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

For what it is worth people with Big Toys or more money in my vast experience are way more likely to blow off the seller. The cheapest people I know are rich, many also nickel and dime you to death when you provide a service for them, much more than the average income folks.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:17 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin
For what it is worth people with Big Toys or more money in my vast experience are way more likely to blow off the seller. The cheapest people I know are rich, many also nickel and dime you to death when you provide a service for them, much more than the average income folks.
This can certainly be true, without identifying the guilty, I bought a part from a fellow Rennlister for $200, it arrived broken in two places, he swears up and down it broke in transit and I should file a claim with UPS.

The problem is his own ad right here showed the slight misalignment of the broken areas, clearly proving the part was already broken before he shipped it, I gave him the benefit of the doubt he may not have noticed this before shipping it, and offered him $50 for the carrying pouch for the part because the rest was garbage but I could use the pouch.

He still would not own up, and communicated with very terse words in his emails, fortunately I had paid through PayPal and was able to leverage that I WILL file a dispute before he very reluctanly refunded most of what I asked for except for $10, as if to make a point that he still "won".

I probably should still have filed a dispute just to make sure others are aware of his conduct through his PayPal user name, but he could have just open up another account so I did not bother.

The point of telling my story? This Rennlister has in the last 1.5 years bought and sold and bought at least 4 or 5 Porsche 993, 997, and 997 Turbo, so clearly he is in a comfortable financial situation, yet he still went to the depth he did in our dealings for a $200 part, especially when he was not in the right.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:42 PM
kevinrubin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a purchaser (regardless of whether I'm well-off or just damn poor...it shouldn't matter), I expect to receive the product I purchased "as advertised." I have no control over the manner in which it's packed or shipped...frankly, that's not my problem. I expect the seller to make the experience as seamless as possible and "wow" me with customer service (insert "Nordstom" here)...Sellers absolutely deserve to - and should - make a fair profit or they wouldn't be in business...but when a problem happens, that where you set yourself apart. If I didn't get an acceptable response such as, "I've already sent you a replacement light...you'll have it in 3-5 days...now let's work on getting the broken light back...and oh, I may need your help with the shipping claim, if you don't mind," I too would have filed a claim with PayPal and called Amex to dispute the charge...come on people...

Customer service = repeat customer...period.

- Kevin
Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

It's true. My Father is a physician who grew up very poor. He told me once that when he was a young man he looked forward to being a doctor. He thought that if his peers were educated and had more money that somehow they'd be better people than the hoods he hung around with as a kid.

"Jamie" he said, "I've come to realize that some of the rich people I know are the same creeps that I ran with in my youth. Except now they have money and think they can do whatever the hell they want."

I'm sure people who buy Porsches and Porsche parts are just as likely to screw a seller as the next guy.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Call me crazy but I can swear I read he offered to send a New one for $250 and refund the $250 as soon as he got the old one back. The OP decided not to do this, he did not want another charge to his card. Instead he immediately went to stop payment ande bash the seller. Two sides to every story.

I think that was a very fair offer, it is not his fault the OP decided to go this route instead.

If he just sends a New one every time someone claims it was damaged in shipping he will be out of business fast.

I get it sucks it was damaged, but now that both sides of the story were told I think he tried his best to work things out.

Just my 2 cents
+1
Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 80 Posts

Call me crazy but I can swear I read he offered to send a New one for $250 and refund the $250 as soon as he got the old one back. The OP decided not to do this, he did not want another charge to his card. Instead he immediately went to stop payment ande bash the seller. Two sides to every story.

I think that was a very fair offer, it is not his fault the OP decided to go this route instead.

If he just sends a New one every time someone claims it was damaged in shipping he will be out of business fast.

I get it sucks it was damaged, but now that both sides of the story were told I think he tried his best to work things out.

Just my 2 cents
I'm not going to call you crazy but I will call you a bad reader. I exchanged 2 e-mails with him when I got the shipment which amounted to: I can't replace items damaged in transit. At that point I started bashing and then he finally offered options. I didn't bash him before giving him a chance. I don't know whether I caught him at a bad moment or he just expressed himself wrong in those original e-mails.

This isn't about money, it's how you treat your customer. I paid for 2 taillights but got only one functional. I didn't pack them or ship them. I don't see why I have to pay for a 3rd taillight or file a claim with the post office (which I actually originally tried to do anyway on his insistence).

In other news: I still haven't been contacted by either Canada Post or USPS so we're still waiting.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Dukec4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUYER:
1. Stop shipping USPS. Claims are a nightmare...as you are currently experiencing. Spend a little extra ( charge a little more) and ship with a major carrier...UPS, FedX.

2. The broken light is useless to buyer and seller. Write it off, ship the buyer a new light at no charge and start working yourself out of the hole you're digging.....oh, and from what I've read, the packaging is weak. You may want to consider repackaging your product before you continue to ship.

I suspect the $250 taillight in question has cost you thousands in lost business already....stop the bleed...

Just my .02...
Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukec4s
BUYER:
1. Stop shipping USPS. Claims are a nightmare...as you are currently experiencing. Spend a little extra ( charge a little more) and ship with a major carrier...UPS, FedX.

2. The broken light is useless to buyer and seller. Write it off, ship the buyer a new light at no charge and start working yourself out of the hole you're digging.....oh, and from what I've read, the packaging is weak. You may want to consider repackaging your product before you continue to ship.

I suspect the $250 taillight in question has cost you thousands in lost business already....stop the bleed...

Just my .02...
This post should be addressed to the SELLER, not the BUYER.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:59 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
This post should be addressed to the SELLER, not the BUYER.
I think everyone knows what he meant.

I have to say that is probably the best post in this entire 4 pages, going with another Shipping agency fixes all these issues, but buyers would have to be aware the pricing would be passed on to them.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:06 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Even UPS or FedEx can damage the package if the packaging was insufficient to protect the item, and there is a covinience factor in using postal service plus courier companies, especially UPS, charge insane amount of brokerage fees to clear the item through Canadian Customs.....

Quick Reply: Beware of DELREYCUSTOMS, LED lights order gone bad