Sponsored by:

Beware of DELREYCUSTOMS, LED lights order gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:06 AM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Beware of DELREYCUSTOMS, LED lights order gone bad

A bunch of people here ordered LED lights from DELREYCUSTOMS (Saturn Killed/Shane Simpson). I ordered a set of taillights on March 4th and they arrived today. Passenger side taillight was damaged in shipping. I e-mailed Shane asking for a replacement. Got an e-mail back saying he won't replace the taillight and that he'll file a shipping claim. So I paid for them, got one damaged and he gets the shipping claim money? He only declared them for $400 (sold for $675 including shipping to Canada) but that should still cover one light fine.

Didn't expect such a response. This all could have been settled nicely. Anyway, I opened a dispute with Paypal and will call the credit card company after work. I'm not going to be stuck with a busted taillight.

Beware when ordering from him.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Salem997
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks, definitely hope it works out. Did you try plugging them in to see if they even worked properly. I was considering them, but haven't heard much feedback on them (aside from what DELREY is posting).
Old 03-15-2013, 11:42 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

That sucks. Given your situation as you explained it, I would have expected the vendor to:
1) Take the item back and send you a new light right away
2) Deal with the shipment claim directly as to not impact his customer.

This is terrible business practice IMHO.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Rocco07
Racer

So he files the claim, gets the money, then what?
Does he send you a new light or send you the money?
Either way, you should have something coming to you.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:25 PM
krysFly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar situation but with Rottec, some LED lights on both sides were not working.
The difference, however is that they send a new set along with a paid postage for the faulty ones.
And that was after a year of usage! Great service, you should have received similar treatment, anything else is not acceptable.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:44 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess is there is a communication error between the parties.
It would be normal to file a shipping claim for an item damaged in shipping. If the seller gets compensated, then he should in turn send you a new light.
I can't imagine a business would not ultimately supply you a good light either way.
We normally get the customer an undamaged component as quickly as possible, and handle the claim process ouselves, if that's possible.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:45 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

They obviously weren't packed properly. I bought a used set from a member in Toronto and one was broken exactly like that. There wasn't enough space and padding around that vulnerable pointed end of plastic. In my case, he was really classy and immediately sent me the money for getting a new replacement from Rotec, which I did. Good luck in getting a successful resolution.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:53 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Just talked to Shane. The deal is the I'll make a claim to the post office for the damaged light and recover whatever money from them. I'll pay him to ship me a replacement light (not the full cost). This is not ideal (I'd rather he deal with the post office claim) but it's still way better than 'I can't send a replacement light'. So everything will probably be OK after all, provided the post office doesn't give me problems.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:55 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by keninirvine
They obviously weren't packed properly. ... There wasn't enough space and padding around that vulnerable pointed end of plastic.
Exactly the same problem. One layer of supper thin bubble wrap. That bubble wrap is dirt cheap, it should have been protected better.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Andrew Ward
Advanced

Originally Posted by dbv1
Just talked to Shane. The deal is the I'll make a claim to the post office for the damaged light and recover whatever money from them. I'll pay him to ship me a replacement light (not the full cost). This is not ideal (I'd rather he deal with the post office claim) but it's still way better than 'I can't send a replacement light'. So everything will probably be OK after all, provided the post office doesn't give me problems.
He should deal with the claim and ship you a replacement right away at no charge. You should not have to do or pay anything.
They are off my list for any future purchases and I will post this on Yelp,FB etc
Old 03-15-2013, 01:06 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 347 Posts

That is about as poor customer service as it can be. Shame. They are a site sponsor?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

He's still scamming you.
As the shipper, he is the one that has to instigate any claim.
You have no reason ( or standing) to file any claim.
The shipper is the one that contracted and paid for the post office ( or UPS or whatever) and the shipper is the only one they will deal with.
I'd contact my credit card company, as this guy is either dumb, or playing dumb.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:28 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 278 Posts

Exactly the same problem. One layer of supper thin bubble wrap. That bubble wrap is dirt cheap, it should have been protected better.
If memory serves, the shipper will want to see all boxes and packing material and I believe they are also looking for 3" of padded space between the fragile item and the outside of the box. I can't recall if the 3" was FEDEX, UPS or USPS.

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2013, 01:35 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
He's still scamming you.
The shipper is the one that contracted and paid for the post office ( or UPS or whatever) and the shipper is the only one they will deal with.
I'd contact my credit card company, as this guy is either dumb, or playing dumb.
I'll talk to the post office after work and keep you guys up to date.

I agree, he should be packing those lights a bit better and dealing with the post office himself. He says because it's Canada, he can't do it. I'll get all the facts tonight after the post office visit.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:37 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
He's still scamming you.
I just looked at the USPS site and pulled this from their claims process FAQ. Not sure about all the details between poster and seller, but I think it's not clear that the seller is "scamming" anyone here. Poor packaging? Poor delivery process? Maybe, but scamming implies malicious intent rather than just carelessness. It looks like the seller is working with the OP to resolve the issue. Is it the way you'd like to be dealt with? Maybe not and you don't have to deal with the seller in the future, but that doesn't make it a scam either.

Just my $.02 - I'm not affiliated with the seller, nor am I a seller myself although I've bought and sold items online on occasions in the past.

CW

From the USPS website.....

Who is eligible to file claims online?

Customers who purchase COD, Registered Mail™, Insurance or Express Mail® Insurance have the option to file their claims online through http://www.usps.com. Either the mailer or the addressee may file the claim. Whoever files the claim online will need to provide:

the article number
proof of mailing, postage and fees paid (insurance, COD, or Registered fees)
proof of value

For damaged claims, retain the damaged item with mailing container, including any wrapping, packaging, and any other contents. The mailer or the addressee may be may be requested to present these items at any Post Office, along with a copy of the printer-friendly completed claim summary from the online application and the original mailing receipt.

Quick Reply: Beware of DELREYCUSTOMS, LED lights order gone bad