Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I just developed a crush on a 991S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:55 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
It was part of a gift set sent to many Porsche owners when the new 991 was released. It has the profile of each generation of 911 on clear plastic, comes with a display stand, and personalized
I've enjoyed mine, and the images of the 991 in the accompanying book are stunning. The design concept (genius) of the transparent slides is so you can see the evolution of the design. Different scales would defeat the purpose.

The rear is beginning to look a little Austin Martin DB9ish to me, and I like the look of that car too.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:35 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Drawings done directly by Porsche. I can only assume that a company that takes pride in engineering would have accurate drawing proportions; especially on the 991, as it's the car Porsche is specifically marketing. It was part of a gift set sent to many Porsche owners when the new 991 was released. It has the profile of each generation of 911 on clear plastic, comes with a display stand, and personalized with one's name. As far as I can tell, all of the drawings are the same scale.

WOW what a cool gift. I wish I had recieved one of those. That would look cool in my home office next to my 911 models
Old 03-17-2013, 10:56 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 390 Posts

Drawings done directly by Porsche. I can only assume that a company that takes pride in engineering would have accurate drawing proportions; especially on the 991, as it's the car Porsche is specifically marketing. It was part of a gift set sent to many Porsche owners when the new 991 was released. It has the profile of each generation of 911 on clear plastic, comes with a display stand, and personalized with one's name. As far as I can tell, all of the drawings are the same scale.

Yeah I got a set too..nice compliment to my home office/desk.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:33 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213

Yeah I got a set too..nice compliment to my home office/desk.
That is a cool gift....lucky guys.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 AM
kes7u
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Got it. So they're just drawings. I believe that the drawings themselves are an accurate depiction of each car's proportions. Nothing would indicate that they are exactly 'to scale' though. Makes sense now.

Kevin

Old 03-18-2013, 12:26 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd have to agree with you. As far as styling, I'm not sure why folks who like the 997 would have such a big problem with the 991. Certainly based on this overlay you've posted. Overall it seems like its going further into the 997 theme just with more width and length. It's not like the switch from 996 to 997 which was a move into a wholly different direction. 991 from 997 is a magnification rather than transformation.
The 991 is basically a Panamera Coupe -- basically solidfying what has once a small nimble sports coupe in to a Grand Touring more akin to a plush Jaguar and Aston Martin.

Also, the ducktail does not work in poportions that large. It's like a big fat chick putting on a skinny chick's two sizes smaller high heels.

The factory specs for length, width and height don't tell the whole story.

The 991 has various proportions that are larger all over the body of the car, as shown in this picture (991 in blue, 997 in red). This is why visually the 991 does look bigger to most.

I do like the looks of the 991. But frankly, I think both the 997 & 991 are larger than I'd like, so the added size of the 991 is certainly not a plus for me.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:08 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
BTW.... Not One Manual on the lot. Salesman said they've only sold two this year and they need to be ordered. End of an era of automotive functionality I'm afraid.
Last summer I drove the 991S, Panamera GTS and Boxster S on the track. All had PDK. I have to say, I was EXTREMELY impressed. That said, I would never buy a 991 without a manual transmission. For me, that's part of the experience of driving the car. I know the trend is going the other direction but ......
Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I'd have to agree with you. As far as styling, I'm not sure why folks who like the 997 would have such a big problem with the 991. Certainly based on this overlay you've posted. Overall it seems like its going further into the 997 theme just with more width and length. It's not like the switch from 996 to 997 which was a move into a wholly different direction. 991 from 997 is a magnification rather than transformation.
The 991 is basically a Panamera Coupe -- basically solidfying what has once a small nimble sports coupe in to a Grand Touring more akin to a plush Jaguar and Aston Martin.

Also, the ducktail does not work in poportions that large. It's like a big fat chick putting on a skinny chick's two sizes smaller high heels.
It's not just width & length as Mspeedster pointed out. Agreed its not a 996 departure. I would say its an evolution to suit a broader market, Grand Touring. Not 100% for me.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PCC

Last summer I drove the 991S, Panamera GTS and Boxster S on the track. All had PDK. I have to say, I was EXTREMELY impressed. That said, I would never buy a 991 without a manual transmission. For me, that's part of the experience of driving the car. I know the trend is going the other direction but ......
Agreed...I tested a PDK 997 last year when buying mine,..,not the same or similar experience at all...putting aside the shift efficiencies found with PDK. My first 911 had to be manual.

Quick Reply: I think I just developed a crush on a 991S?