Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013 | 12:33 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TxBob74
Perhaps the "special tuning" of the GTS suspension is the result of being the only wide body RWD 911?
Other than the GT3 RS and GT2 Dave
Old 03-14-2013 | 04:25 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Got a reply back from Pete Stout. It's confirmed that the non sports suspension is a specially tuned suspension for the GTS. I did refer this thread as the reason for me asking him, but since he hasn't posted in here I won't post his PM to me. And I think that it is against site rules to do so. PM me if you want more info on the special GTS suspension that was only on cars without the p17 option.

Last edited by hakaida702; 03-14-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-14-2013 | 09:36 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by hakaida702
Got a reply back from Pete Stout. It's confirmed that the non sports suspension is a specially tuned suspension for the GTS. I did refer this thread as the reason for me asking him, but since he hasn't posted in here I won't post his PM to me. And I think that it is against site rules to do so. PM me if you want more info on the special GTS suspension that was only on cars without the p17 option.
Thanks for the information, very interesting. This is the first time I have heard of this "special" PASM suspension. I happen to have a one of the hard cover GTS Porsche brochures. I just took a quick look at it and Porsche explains in great detail the differences of the GTS from regular Carreras. I did not see any discussion of a "special" PASM suspension. In their discussion of PASM, they just describe how it works, but makes no comment about it being any different from PASM on a non GTS. If it was different, sure seems like they would have mentioned it. I don't recall seeing anything about a special PASM for the GTS on the Porsche website either. Seems very odd that Porsche would make the effort to specialize the PASM for the GTS and not mention it.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 03-14-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2013 | 10:43 AM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Can't it be the same PASM suspension, just tuned differently for the GTS? The key word is 'tuned'. These are all electronically controlled systems, correct? So tuning is effectively reprogramming to achieve different suspension settings. Happens in race cars all the time, not a huge deal.

Disclaimer - I have know idea if this is correct, just guessing.

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
they just describe how it works, but makes no comment about it being any different from PASM on a non GTS. If it was different, sure seems like they would have mentioned it.
Old 03-14-2013 | 10:49 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarkPcar
Can't it be the same PASM suspension, just tuned differently for the GTS? The key word is 'tuned'. These are all electronically controlled systems, correct? So tuning is effectively reprogramming to achieve different suspension settings. Happens in race cars all the time, not a huge deal.
Could be, but sure seems like Porsche would have publicized it as a feature of the GTS. Maybe I have overlooked it, but I have never seen anything from Porsche mentioning a altered or special PASM for the GTS. If anyone has any documentation from Porsche on a special PASM for the GTS, please pass it along. I am sure all of us GTS owners would like to know the details.
Old 03-14-2013 | 02:32 PM
chago996
Racer

[QUOTE]Can't it be the same PASM suspension, just tuned differently for the GTS? The key word is 'tuned'. These are all electronically controlled systems, correct? So tuning is effectively reprogramming to achieve different suspension settings. Happens in race cars all the time, not a huge deal.

Disclaimer - I have know idea if this is correct, just guessing. /QUOTE]

I agree, but just guessing myself too. For those of us who had a 996, you could retrofit the OE sport suspension that was availble ROW and it was slightly different for each model variation, i.e. a c2 6 speed manual had a different part number than an auto c2, same for a C4 6 speed manual vs an auto. The weight distribution warranted a different tuning, which was what made this OE suspensions so nice. Most likely a GTS 4 wheel drive will have a slightly different tuned suspension than the 2 wheel drive, manual or pdk. Some one with access to part numbers could corroborate.

BTW, love the sport pasm suspension on my 997.2 C2 manual. "Tuned" just right!!
Old 03-14-2013 | 06:54 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

For everybody else:

Yeah, that was me. I may have been the only one to write it, but Alex Palevsky noted the same thing when testing the cars for Exc.

This became apparent after being over the moon about a GTS Cabriolet's ride and handling and subsequently disappointed in not one but two GTS coupes (which should have been better). Both GTS coupes were equipped with the Sport PASM suspension, as were all U.S. GTS coupe press cars. Not only did they look a little funny (nose higher than the rear, where the standard GTS suspension has the nose slightly lower than the rear), they had notably inferior ride quality and handling. More understeer, less fluidity over back roads. I'd be curious to see what's quicker around a race track, but at some level, who cares—and I wouldn't bet against the standard suspension. The regular setup was SO confidence-inspiring.

So I asked August Achleitner at Geneva about this and he confirmed that, if you took the standard GTS suspension, you got a one-off system tailored to the GTS. He liked that suspension so much that he said the 997 Carrera GTS was the used 911 he would spend his own money on. He went on to say that he personally drove the final version on a long vacation to Italy just before it was fixed for production. There was some talk about adding some more understeer, but he came back and said, "Leave it EXACTLY this way."

I then asked Achleitner about the Sport PASM on the GTS and it appears that the system was a straight carryover from the narrow-body Carrera S. Sadly, I think many dealers (and knowledgeable enthusiasts) saw the Sport PASM option and just ticked the box—after all, sport suspension + GTS sounds like a marriage made in heaven. There are many people out there who are perfectly happy with that setup, but I view it a little like 997.1 GT3 PASM: Most will only see how much better the other setup (in that example, the 997.1 GT2 or 997.2 RS 4.0) is if they get to really sample it. Sadly, that's difficult to do.

No question which suspension I'd rather have on a GTS. One is among the BEST chassis setups I have ever experienced in a 911, maybe the perfect road setup among all 997s.
Old 03-14-2013 | 06:58 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

[quote=chago996;10300540]

Disclaimer - I have know idea if this is correct, just guessing. /QUOTE]

I agree, but just guessing myself too. For those of us who had a 996, you could retrofit the OE sport suspension that was availble ROW and it was slightly different for each model variation, i.e. a c2 6 speed manual had a different part number than an auto c2, same for a C4 6 speed manual vs an auto. The weight distribution warranted a different tuning, which was what made this OE suspensions so nice. Most likely a GTS 4 wheel drive will have a slightly different tuned suspension than the 2 wheel drive, manual or pdk. Some one with access to part numbers could corroborate.

BTW, love the sport pasm suspension on my 997.2 C2 manual. "Tuned" just right!!
The 986/996 example is spot on in the sense you mean it: Porsche does a lot of fine tuning for weight, etc. From my discussions with Achleitner, it was clear that the GTS has retuned suspension—PASM tuning, alignment, etc.—rather than wholesale new gear. I would be curious to see the part numbers, but it's a magical setup, and that rarely if even happens by accident. Also from our discussions, I got the sense that the Sport PASM suspension was more of a carryover, if not entirely so. And GTSs so equipped drive like it (to me), being less magical/intuitive/dialed in. But YMMV!

Cheers,

pete
Old 03-14-2013 | 10:19 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

[quote=stout;10301209]
Originally Posted by chago996

From my discussions with Achleitner, it was clear that the GTS has retuned suspension—PASM tuning, alignment, etc.—rather than wholesale new gear. I would be curious to see the part numbers, but it's a magical setup, and that rarely if even happens by accident. Also from our discussions, I got the sense that the Sport PASM suspension was more of a carryover, if not entirely so. And GTSs so equipped drive like it (to me), being less magical/intuitive/dialed in. But YMMV!

Cheers,

pete
Thanks for the input, but I still am curious as to why Porsche would not "market" or promote this "magical" suspension set-up for the GTS. I sure could have overlooked it, but I can't find any mention of this in the GTS product literature, nor do I remember it being listed as a GTS feature on Porsche's website. Seems very odd that they would not list the special tuned suspension as a feature of the car.

As to which GTS suspension is best, I guess that will be up to the individual. I drove both and ordered mine with SPASM. I think the car looks much better with SPASM, and to me, the handling is superior, without being harsh. Whichever suspension you have on your GTS, be happy because they are fantastic cars .
Old 03-14-2013 | 11:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

[quote=GSIRM3;10301736]
Originally Posted by stout

Thanks for the input, but I still am curious as to why Porsche would not "market" or promote this "magical" suspension set-up for the GTS. I sure could have overlooked it, but I can't find any mention of this in the GTS product literature, nor do I remember it being listed as a GTS feature on Porsche's website. Seems very odd that they would not list the special tuned suspension as a feature of the car.

As to which GTS suspension is best, I guess that will be up to the individual. I drove both and ordered mine with SPASM. I think the car looks much better with SPASM, and to me, the handling is superior, without being harsh. Whichever suspension you have on your GTS, be happy because they are fantastic cars .
I pay very little attention to what marketing says, the only exception being when it's the only source of information—and that's been pretty rare.

On the media side, I remember specially tuned suspension being one of the talking points, and August was very clear that there was a process and a spec specifically for the GTS, and that there were some who wanted to make it "safer" with more understeer—but he told them to fix the specs and settings after his drive to Italy. He thought the GTS handled beautifully.

I have to agree.

pete
Old 03-15-2013 | 12:40 AM
BobDyl
Advanced

Pete, thanks for the clarification. But ... another vote here for the GTS with SPASM. I too drove both and preferred SPASM. The lower center of gravity made it feel more planted, I got no sense of understeer, and the ride felt about the same to me. I have yet to see a nose-high GTS regardless of suspension.

In any case, I guess it is possible that you drove the perfect GTS that day and all the rest are just average. In which case ... you should have bought it on the spot! ;-)
Old 03-15-2013 | 01:45 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobDyl
Pete, thanks for the clarification. But ... another vote here for the GTS with SPASM. I too drove both and preferred SPASM. The lower center of gravity made it feel more planted, I got no sense of understeer, and the ride felt about the same to me. I have yet to see a nose-high GTS regardless of suspension.

In any case, I guess it is possible that you drove the perfect GTS that day and all the rest are just average. In which case ... you should have bought it on the spot! ;-)
No worries! As I said, YMMV!

That said, both SPASM cars I tested looked and drove the same. Maybe I should say they simply didn't have the rake the standard suspension car had.

Actually drove two GTSs with the standard setup...one was a Speedster.

pete
Old 03-15-2013 | 02:03 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry in advance, but I'm a little confused. My GTS has Sports chrono, and the following buttons below the PCM: Sport, Sport Plus, suspension, exhaust. Do I have the "magical" or "specially tuned" suspension? It does feel much stiffer and a bit harsh on imperfect roads than the regular Carreras I drove during the search. Lots of road noise transmitted through the tires also over certain road surfaces.

AND, where can I find one of those hard cover GTS promotional books, I'd gladly trade the 991 version I received in the mail for a GTS version.
Old 03-15-2013 | 09:31 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by BobDyl
I agree. I love my SPASM, and if anything, the front of my car is lower than the rear. I have never seen one with a higher front.
Old 03-15-2013 | 06:29 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Sorry in advance, but I'm a little confused. My GTS has Sports chrono, and the following buttons below the PCM: Sport, Sport Plus, suspension, exhaust. Do I have the "magical" or "specially tuned" suspension? It does feel much stiffer and a bit harsh on imperfect roads than the regular Carreras I drove during the search. Lots of road noise transmitted through the tires also over certain road surfaces.

AND, where can I find one of those hard cover GTS promotional books, I'd gladly trade the 991 version I received in the mail for a GTS version.
I only have the pdf version of the brochure. If anyone wants the pdf version, PM me and I'll send it to them. I'd love a hardcover version as well. I'll have to start looking on ebay everyday.

Last edited by hakaida702; 03-15-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: GTS