Fantastic Phone Holder Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 859 Posts
Default Fantastic Phone Holder Project

Just installed a phone holder into my 2009 C2S with better than expected results. It required buying two pieces from diffiferent manufacturers and hoping I could make it work. It did and better than I expected.
Parts:
ProClip Angled Mount 853540 – clip and plate for Porsche $39
iOttie One-Touch Windshield Dashboard Holder $20
My requirements:
1. Must support a Droid 4 with case (case eliminates virtually all Droid 4 holders including Motorola’s own)
2. Must be able to get access to the power port on phone with phone in holder
3. Must be fairly compact
4. Must mount down near cubby near USB power cable – I drilled a hole in the back of the cubby where I wired a multi-lighter socket to switched power from the fuse box to support the USB cable, Valentine 1, and whatever else I may need
5. No drilling or gluing or damaging visible areas
I chose the ProClip as it was a nice, elegant solution specifically for Porsche and provides a generic plastic plate to drill and mount just about anything. Just perfect.
I chose the iOttie after tons of searching for a good clip. The IOttie fits virtually all smart phones. There is a little button on its surface that when tripped, the side clamps snap in and grab the phone. Just place the phone down and the thing snaps on to it. Squeeze two, hidden, small tabs and the phone pops out. Really cool. The bottom support can slide sideways and or up and down to accommodate differing phone sizes and power socket locations. It is slim. This is one fantastic design.
I gambled that I could modify the iOttie to mount on the plate. I was a bit lucky in that I could preserve the ball and socket system (also thin) by simply cutting the socket system from the iOttie windshield mount. Then I sanded it to sit flat onto the clip plate. I only had to drill a single hole into the clip plate to pass the socket tension screw. The tension screw had a nut-**** configuration so I popped the nut out of the **** and just use it as it fit a bit snugger behind the plate.
This turned out better than I hoped. Easy too!

Peace
Bruce in Philly

- End -

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-08-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:53 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by TerpsRED; 03-08-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: deleted
Old 03-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Nice work :-)
Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad to see this. I have been wondering about a mount for my iPhone to easily control my GoPro, but something that could be easily removed. I'm concerned that the proclip will leave a mark on the leather when removed.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

That is brilliant.

Does the bracket apply any force on the leather which may result in an indentation and or do you use any padding underneath it to prevent this?

Thanks for posting this.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Good questions about the ProClip leaving a mark. In short... I dunno. It is on there pretty firmly but the pressure is spread out. I suspect it will over time. The question is how bad will it be? I don't think it will be too bad if at all noticeable but that is speculation.

So, my plan is to pop it off in 3 months or so and see what happened. If it left a pressure mark, I will move it up or down a few millimeters. It looks like the only place it may leave a mark is where it wraps around the leather stitching on the front. The sides should be fine.

Overall, I don't believe the mark will be a bad one if any, and the utility of this far outweighs a small mark. I use my cars. The last Porsche I had... I put 197K miles on it and my friends could not believe how good it looked inside and out. My philosophy is take very good care of things but use them.. that is why I purchased the thing in the first place. No garage queens for me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Coupla other points I should have made:

1 - ProClip has a Droid 4 holder but it doesn't work with a case (my droid has a back case I like). ProClip does make a holder that squeezes on smart phones but this model then blocks the power socket.

2 - I may be able to move the ProClip up a few inches and given the angle of the trim piece, may loosen the pressure a bit.... although I like the phone low... I dunno.. I'll see how I like it down there.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-09-2013, 05:25 AM
killacam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi bruce in philly. nice DIY. would love to meet up some time and see your car. killacam in philly (old city).
Old 03-09-2013, 10:04 AM
ufischer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job. If you don't need to use a case, the ProClip system is the best there is. It is pricey but you get as close to a custom look as possible.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:42 AM
hakaida702
Racer

I haven't installed my proclip yet. I thought about how far away it is from my line of sight it is to use my phone as a gps. I hate the pcm 3.0 gps. I might need to keep the phone holder but not use the long arm and get the mount thats between the a/c vents.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:17 PM
sixgun95
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Coupla other points I should have made:

1 - ProClip has a Droid 4 holder but it doesn't work with a case (my droid has a back case I like). ProClip does make a holder that squeezes on smart phones but this model then blocks the power socket.

2 - I may be able to move the ProClip up a few inches and given the angle of the trim piece, may loosen the pressure a bit.... although I like the phone low... I dunno.. I'll see how I like it down there.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Much less intrusive idea than mine....ordering that phone holder now. Why reinvent the wheel!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:58 PM
sixgun95
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Good questions about the ProClip leaving a mark. In short... I dunno. It is on there pretty firmly but the pressure is spread out. I suspect it will over time. The question is how bad will it be? I don't think it will be too bad if at all noticeable but that is speculation.

So, my plan is to pop it off in 3 months or so and see what happened. If it left a pressure mark, I will move it up or down a few millimeters. It looks like the only place it may leave a mark is where it wraps around the leather stitching on the front. The sides should be fine.

Overall, I don't believe the mark will be a bad one if any, and the utility of this far outweighs a small mark. I use my cars. The last Porsche I had... I put 197K miles on it and my friends could not believe how good it looked inside and out. My philosophy is take very good care of things but use them.. that is why I purchased the thing in the first place. No garage queens for me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
So did the Proclip leave any marks in the car trim?
Old 09-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sixgun95
So did the Proclip leave any marks in the car trim?
Not really. I had the thing off last week as I was replacing the center console with a wood one. It made a slight dent in the front stiching edge but, frankly, I find it totally acceptable. It didn't tear or scratch the leather at all. If you didn't look for it, you would not see it. I also didn't peel the sticky piece on the holder which goes directly against the leather on the side.... don't need it.

In all, I am very happy with the set up... I did another slight mod in that I dug some gouges into the cup so the phone holder didn't shift in the ball/cup. No real issue, but even when it was all tight, the phone would turn in the ball/cup if pushed hard.

I would do it exactly the same again.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-16-2013, 05:29 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice job, although I think this bracket will damage the leather.

In terms of mounts, the BEST I've found is the RAM mounts, they come in modules, so you can mix and match suction cup with different phone holders or universal ones and they are as solid as can be. Check it out, they make the mounts of military vehicles.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:28 PM
rj5620
Advanced

I found this and it stays in place most of the time: I place it on the right side of the center console near the seat edge where the vinyl is smooth, probably won't work on leather.

Amazon.com: iMagnet Cradle-less Magnetic Mount with Quick-snap Technology, Smartphone Car Windshield Dashboard Universal Holder: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: iMagnet Cradle-less Magnetic Mount with Quick-snap Technology, Smartphone Car Windshield Dashboard Universal Holder: Cell Phones & Accessories
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Fantastic Phone Holder Project